Blue Stars vs. Boston for 2012 TOC Spot...

Well under your definition that means Carolina Crown AND Bluecoats are both out...Madison in...

< sarcasm/on>

How convenient you have made it...lol...I'm quite sure that would go over real well with "the powers that be" and the Crown and BLOO fans as well...

< sarcasm/off>

Its nothing against them at all its just the event of TOC doesn't make sense really unless its actually a tour of dci champions. Crown and Coats are great its just a little misleading. The current system should be named something more fitting that's all, ex. Tour of 8 or Top 8, etc.

• Like 1

How about "Tour de Campeones" ...if you're into the whole brevity thing... :lookaround:

Its too camp.

• Like 1

Are we really still talking about this? How many days until the first show?

I think the top 8 should be the top 8. Not historically, but whoever finishes in the top 8 from the previous year.

As a west coaster, one think I love about the TOC is that at least 2 non-west coast TOC corps come out west for shows. Having BD, SCV, Phantom, Cadets, & BK at Stanford this year was like a present from Santa.

• Like 1

The Blue Stars were included in the 2010 Tour of Champions events because they had finished in the top 8 for the three prior years - 2008, 2009 and 2010. Not just 2010.

So, just because Boston finished in the top 8 in 2011 does not mean that they will be included in any TOC events for 2012. I think it does mean that Blue Stars are out for 2012. We may have TOC shows with just 7 corps.

Stay tuned.

It wasn't that Blue Stars finished in the top 8 for three years, it's that their average over those three years was higher than the corps that averaged 9th. From the beginning, per my understanding, it was announced that it would be based on averages, which of course in this case meant the same for the 2011 TOC. However, if you average Boston Crusaders' placements over the past three years, (7+9+8=24÷3=8), and do the same for Blue Stars, (8+8+11=27÷3=9), you see the difference just one season makes. I don't know whether that same criteria will be employed if there is a TOC in 2012. It also depends on if the individual corps want to do it again. What I saw in Houston was a lot of fun for the audience and the corps and it pointed the way that all shows could be more value added for the audience.

It also depends on if the individual corps want to do it again. What I saw in Houston was a lot of fun for the audience and the corps and it pointed the way that all shows could be more value added for the audience.

I think it would be awesome if some of these ideas could be added to all the shows if "tweaked" just a little bit from what I've heard. Your right, it would actually be great to "value add" to the other shows as well. Obviously, I think the more you can make something FUN the better off it would be for everyone involved. On the other hand, I think maybe the purists(not speaking for them) may not like all the value added stuff who like just the competitive aspect. But I don't think that the competitive aspect ALONE can carry itself completely anymore. Perhaps some of the older traditions like trooping the stands could be brought back as well...

Is it clear that the shows ended up making good money for the TOC corps?

I don't think the question is as naive as it might sound if there was some travel jiggery-pokery to be done and a different show forgone on that night. A glance at the schedule doesn't seem to show that the G8 did four shows more than anybody else.

Don't really understand why corpsband thinks this is a conspiracy theory. Things are going pretty much how the powerpoint suggested so far. All of the take-over-DCI stuff was not an immediate thing, but a down-the-road thing. First step was the TOC.

Perhaps because the "G7" proposal itself was violently rejected by DCI?

Perhaps -- even in said proposal -- there were a few ideas that DCI felt worthy of further examination?

Even during the endless discussions here on DCP, there were many who noted that despite many of the 'poison' provisions in the powerpoint, the new show format had merit and could work well.

DCI *trialed* the new format concept. The trial appears to have worked well.

Just because one of the few "good ideas" from a G7 proposal littered with bad ideas might actually be adopted -- not because it was in the powerpoint but because it actually worked -- does not imply that the rest of G7 proposal will inevitably will be adopted. In fact DCI's response to the proposal as a whole could not have been more clear. Furthermore I think kudos are merited by Mr Acheson and the DCI board for their willingness to dig the gold nugget out of that pile of manure and run with it. It shows great leadership and vision.

The "G7" proposal is dead. If somehow a positive result emerges from that debacle (in the form of the TOC shows) I think DCI comes out WAY ahead.

But IMO the continued "re-animation" of the G7 zombie is just a bunch of tinfoil hat tomfoolery. Yes it was bad. But it's dead.

Perhaps because the "G7" proposal itself was violently rejected by DCI?

Perhaps -- even in said proposal -- there were a few ideas that DCI felt worthy of further examination?

Even during the endless discussions here on DCP, there were many who noted that despite many of the 'poison' provisions in the powerpoint, the new show format had merit and could work well.

DCI *trialed* the new format concept. The trial appears to have worked well.

Just because one of the few "good ideas" from a G7 proposal littered with bad ideas might actually be adopted -- not because it was in the powerpoint but because it actually worked -- does not imply that the rest of G7 proposal will inevitably will be adopted. In fact DCI's response to the proposal as a whole could not have been more clear. Furthermore I think kudos are merited by Mr Acheson and the DCI board for their willingness to dig the gold nugget out of that pile of manure and run with it. It shows great leadership and vision.

The "G7" proposal is dead. If somehow a positive result emerges from that debacle (in the form of the TOC shows) I think DCI comes out WAY ahead.

But IMO the continued "re-animation" of the G7 zombie is just a bunch of tinfoil hat tomfoolery. Yes it was bad. But it's dead.

This is a great post...and I really hope you are correct, corpsband. :smile:

The branding of this as " Champions " is fraught with problems as it requires a subtext to determine if ( say )being declared a DCI " Champion " in Div 2,3 ( small Div.... fewer Corps ) a decade ago, is better than being declared a Div.1 ( Large Div....more Corps ) National "Champion" in pre DCI. In my view, such a subtext comparison would be unfortunate in either case. This all could have been avoided with better due diligence and simply going with one of thousands of other possible names that would have been more appropriate and which would not have created either confusion or controversy with the name.

Tempest in a teapot. This "controversy" was entirely limited to a few silly posters here on DCP. AFAICS it had no effect at all on attendance at the events or their reception by the audience.