Blue Stars vs. Boston for 2012 TOC Spot...

But IMO the continued "re-animation" of the G7 zombie is just a bunch of tinfoil hat tomfoolery. Yes it was bad. But it's dead.

So you think the leadership of BD and Cadets et al are satisfied then? The "G7 proposal" is dead, okay, but those ideas were not new two years ago, and they aren't going away in the future.

Tempest in a teapot. This "controversy" was entirely limited to a few silly posters here on DCP. AFAICS it had no effect at all on attendance at the events or their reception by the audience.

I don't disagree with this. Attendance was most likely not impacted at all by the name.( 'Dont think anyone said so, or predicted such either. )

Ya, but do you really gava... ? ( haha)

I know I don't Gava.

I know I don't Gava.

haha..of course.

So you think the leadership of BD and Cadets et al are satisfied then? The "G7 proposal" is dead, okay, but those ideas were not new two years ago, and they aren't going away in the future.

I think there are many here who don't know that. I think some of those intentionally create FUD by pretending it's not.

As for the Hop/Gibbs, I think it's just a matter of

. Will their ideas "go away"? No. Will DCI become receptive to them at some point in the future? Who knows. But -- for now and the short-term future -- the proposal is well and truly dead. If they were to re-present to DCI the reaction would probably be even more severe.

The funny thing is -- they were *right* about the TOC show format. People like it. It's much more accessible and entertaining to the casual fan. It's exciting for the hard-core fan to get a power-show. It's pretty much a win-win (pending some traumatic financial impact that hasn't leaked out).

Perhaps because the "G7" proposal itself was violently rejected by DCI?

Perhaps -- even in said proposal -- there were a few ideas that DCI felt worthy of further examination?

Even during the endless discussions here on DCP, there were many who noted that despite many of the 'poison' provisions in the powerpoint, the new show format had merit and could work well.

DCI *trialed* the new format concept. The trial appears to have worked well.

Just because one of the few "good ideas" from a G7 proposal littered with bad ideas might actually be adopted -- not because it was in the powerpoint but because it actually worked -- does not imply that the rest of G7 proposal will inevitably will be adopted. In fact DCI's response to the proposal as a whole could not have been more clear. Furthermore I think kudos are merited by Mr Acheson and the DCI board for their willingness to dig the gold nugget out of that pile of manure and run with it. It shows great leadership and vision.

The "G7" proposal is dead. If somehow a positive result emerges from that debacle (in the form of the TOC shows) I think DCI comes out WAY ahead.

But IMO the continued "re-animation" of the G7 zombie is just a bunch of tinfoil hat tomfoolery. Yes it was bad. But it's dead.

Right on the money. People will be still be #####ing about the G-7 proposal that never passed in ten years, convinced that lurking in the shadows is a hostile takeover waiting to be sprung. Maybe when the one ring of power finds its way back into Hopkins hands we'll have something to worry about, until then, meh.

• Like 1

As for the Hop/Gibbs,

The funny thing is -- they were *right* about the TOC show format. People like it. It's much more accessible and entertaining to the casual fan. It's exciting for the hard-core fan to get a power-show. It's pretty much a win-win (pending some traumatic financial impact that hasn't leaked out).

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile, and even a broken clock is right once a day. The fact of the matter is, the TOC show concept was the least odorous of all the many other cockamamie ideas that were in the G7 proposal. To DCI's credit, they tossed out the other selfish self serving crap, and allowed the TOC concept to be put in place for an experimental year. Also, DCI also implemented an enhanced visibility in Finals Week to the Open Class Corps ( Corps, lest we forget, the G7 proposal under Hop/Gibbs called to be Bin Laden'ed. )

Edited by BRASSO

What was so innovative and grounding breaking about the TOC events?...They had already done them in 2004.

I think there are many here who don't know that. I think some of those intentionally create FUD by pretending it's not.

As for the Hop/Gibbs, I think it's just a matter of

. Will their ideas "go away"? No. Will DCI become receptive to them at some point in the future? Who knows. But -- for now and the short-term future -- the proposal is well and truly dead. If they were to re-present to DCI the reaction would probably be even more severe.

No, it's not really dead. You don't come out with something like that and have it magically forgotten overnight once it's been defeated.

Yeah, the TOC is a good idea. That was all most of the G7 corps really wanted. Had they just said, "We'd like some more Murfreesboros, please" there would have been a little grumbling but no major controversy. Everything would have been hunky-dory. Instead they said, "Hey George . . . you like doing this sort of thing, right? Why don't you talk for us?" And George, who will sometimes get a bit carried away, exceeded his mandate just a bit.

The result is that the atmosphere has been completely poisoned. For years. Not here on DCP . . . who cares about that. I'm talking about within DCI, where the reaction to the G7 proposal was far more intense and where bitterness will endure far longer than it will on this forum. And that's bad, bad, bad for the activity.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 1