A new rule proposal

For those of you who don't think this is a big deal how would you feel about this scenario...

In 2012, several WC corps select music that doesn't come with the permissions needed to be reproduced on the DVDs. They try to get it but fail.

As a result, the 2012 DCI finals DVD has just as much silence as music.

Because as as far as I'm aware, DCI would be powerless to stop this.

For those of you who don't think this is a big deal how would you feel about this scenario...

In 2012, several WC corps select music that doesn't come with the permissions needed to be reproduced on the DVDs. They try to get it but fail.

As a result, the 2012 DCI finals DVD has just as much silence as music.

Because as as far as I'm aware, DCI would be powerless to stop this.

THAT one might fly in a court case, since the refusal of so many sych rights might make DVD sales tank like mad....but for one corps? No.

DCI's responsibility to make sure the DVDs have all the synch rights only goes as far as the COPYRIGHT HOLDERS allow....what part of that do you not understand? Show me the massive power DCI has in the entertainment industry sufficient to solve this problem....

THAT one might fly in a court case, since the refusal of so many sych rights might make DVD sales tank like mad....but for one corps? No.

DCI's responsibility to make sure the DVDs have all the synch rights only goes as far as the COPYRIGHT HOLDERS allow....what part of that do you not understand? Show me the massive power DCI has in the entertainment industry sufficient to solve this problem....

I'm not saying DCI have power over the entertainment industry, they don't.

What they do have is power over their member corps. They should use that power to ensure the DVD is complete.

I still maintain DCI should have a rule in place that prevents corps from play music without the relevant rights.

My scenario isn't far fetched. It's been one corps this season, next it might be none but it might be 2 or 3.

then surely you understand that it's a great shame those who didn't see Madison Scouts live in 2011 + all future generations will never get the chance to be moved just like you.

I certainly quite agree with you that it is a tragic shame. God knows I may never have marched had I not seen Madison 1995 in happenstance on the PBS broadcast on Thanksgiving Day when I was in high school.

But that doesn't make it DCI's fault.

I'm not saying DCI have power over the entertainment industry, they don't.

What they do have is power over their member corps. They should use that power to ensure the DVD is complete.

I still maintain DCI should have a rule in place that prevents corps from play music without the relevant rights.

You're missing the point....no matter what we fans may think, it's OUTSIDE the control of the corps. Regiment 08 DID HAVE all rights for one one chart....they DID comply, and DID make it possible for the FULL show to hit DVDs....until the COPYRIGHT HOLDER changed it's mind.

No amount of rules passed down to the corps from our ruling body -- nor wishful thinking from fans -- was going to change that.

• Like 3

You're missing the point....no matter what we fans may think, it's OUTSIDE the control of the corps. Regiment 08 DID HAVE all rights for one one chart....they DID comply, and DID make it possible for the FULL show to hit DVDs....until the COPYRIGHT HOLDER changed it's mind.

No amount of rules passed down to the corps from our ruling body -- nor wishful thinking from fans -- was going to change that.

I don't think 08 Regiment is a good example. As I said in a previous post you can't legislate for copyright owners from changing their minds. When that happens then you just take your medicine and get on with it.

In the case of Madison Scouts the copyright owner did not change their mind after giving permission, they never gave it in the first place.

Again, why is this happening now, yet not with the Legacy series (or at least the first decade I have)?

I find it hard to believe all corps back in that era were compliant, and they played a lot more recently composed often'pop' music.

Is there a statute of limitations in play?

I don't think 08 Regiment is a good example. As I said in a previous post you can't legislate for copyright owners from changing their minds.

Then why are you proposing a rule from DCI that the corps have no chance in hell of being able to enforce in the first place???

You're right, a copyright holder who suddenly changes their mind is something that can't be legislated for but that particular set of circumstances is rare.

DCI have a responsibility to their paying customers to ensure their products are complete. I don't think they're doing that.

I'm quite sure the powers that be in LOS could get together and come up with some sort of process that would avoid minutes of silence on the DVDs.

I missed something.....what does Lucas Oil Stadium have to do with synch rights?

Yes, this is 100% a DCI issue. The BluRay/DVD is DCI's end of season flagship product and therefore it should be DCI's legal duty to ensure that it's complete.

I hear you on this; but, DCI is a representative of the corps and as such should consider the continued impact of not receiving the synch licensing. I'm no expert on this; but, if the corps is already requesting to arrange and perform with the music do we really think it a good idea to have the corps just stop at that point and have DCI try to get the remainder of the rights?