Coming back from bad times (DCI side)

For once got this idea from myself when I posted that I'm surprised Drum Corps (DCI and DCA) is still around given the problems in the early 90s. So here's the follow up thread:

Wasn't following Drum Corps when this was going down and only learned after I came back. Asking for two reasons:

1) So I and new people who don't know about this can be filled in.

2) For a hopefully future discussion on why DCI is where it is at today.

From what I read DCI was in a bad way finance wise in the early 90s(?) and has since dug itself out the hole. Looking for the details on how DCI came back from this mess. Also any thoughts on how this has affected DCI to this day.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Mickey Mouse saved the day

OK, and what about all the days since then?

I'd be interested to know as well. I've heard the current leadership was responsible for stabilizing the organization.

Not for nothing or nothing, but the thread you said was your last definitely wasn't! :tongue:

I'd be interested to know as well. I've heard the current leadership was responsible for stabilizing the organization.

Not for nothing or nothing, but the thread you said was your last definitely wasn't! :tongue:

LMAO...BUSTED!! Actaully I forgot I posted that....(and I am laughing out loud). Last weekend took a trip to NC to see my brother-in-law who handles brewing at a micro brewery. Guess that 30 weight with the pumpkin base DOES kill brain cells....

Got into a discussion at a standstill concert yesterday about chances over the decades. Instead of B-wording about what DC has become it was more of a "Thank goodness it still exists". That's been in my mind as I posted...

at the time, DCI had a strong unified vision. It decided to focus on education, and getting kids involved, partnering with BOA and the like for clinics. It stopped going to place like Jackson MS for finals. Show programming became a little more friendly.

My rookie year with Cadets in 94, I vaguely remember George Hopkins (is it ok to say his name on here?) just checking :).....anyways, I remember him saying just how financially not smart DCI had been in the previous years. I also remember him saying that he would take more responsibility for that or something like that. I am not saying he saved the day and also not trying to speak for Hop. However, I do remember him being very concerned about finances and how he wanted to kind of take the reins in that department. I am now bracing myself for all the anti-Hop talk. Sorry, I remember the RAMD days..

So basically the timeline goes as follows...

Mickey Mouse saves the day and Hoppy pretty much picks up the slack for the last 2 decades (give or take a year).

amirite?

Dan Acheson surely deserves a lot of the credit. DCI has been a pioneer in its use of new technologies to create new revenue streams. The cinecasts and the Fan Network represent sustainable channels for marketing the activity while delivering substantial revenue.

DCI also took substantial steps to reduce costs (can't remember if this was under Acheson). Contracting with professional vendors for services such as ticketing and merchandising reduced expenses. This one's not going to be DCP popular, but terminating the PBS/ESPN broadcast also saved the activity substantial sums. Finally, the advent of more premier events hosted directly by DCI likely improved the revenue picture in several ways, including more professionally managed and marketed shows.

HH