Dinosaurs vs. New Kids on the block

I'd have to disagree to you saying that it's pulled as a rebuttal by the young crowd, because since I've been observing (2005 that I started, 2007 when I decided to open an account) the forum, both sides pull the card about even.

Can I ask you one question.......as a fairly recent marching member....do you enjoy listening to older recordings of drum corps? and also, can you respect what came before you in the activity?

:offtopic: This thread is now turning too silly, can we get on topic now?

Hey when you poke a stick at the dinos, instead of pet them, what else can you expect than silly! Anyway, honor and respect the past, keep the great stuff, change the bad stuff, and move into the future; is that so hard to grasp?

Can I ask you one question.......as a fairly recent marching member....do you enjoy listening to older recordings of drum corps? and also, can you respect what came before you in the activity?

Yes I do, in fact '78 Vanguard is one of my favorites. And yes I do respect the traditions and history of what came before.

Yes I do, in fact '78 Vanguard is one of my favorites. And yes I do respect the traditions and history of what came before.

As do I......so again....as someone who is a recent marching member....what do you think of when someone who marched in the 60's or 70's says that you are not doing drum corps...and the activity is "dead"

As do I......so again....as someone who is a recent marching member....what do you think of when someone who marched in the 60's or 70's says that you are not doing drum corps...and the activity is "dead"

I personally hate it. I've marched in the last 5 years, but I've been into DCI for less than ten, so current DCi is what I know and love. I've watched every Finalist from 1972-2011 (yes, I've had a lot of free time this summer), and have nothing but the utmost respect for those shows. I just wish sometimes that the people that came before me could have the same respect for corps of today. And people have been saying "drum corps is dead" since 1971, and it's still trucking along. Just saying....

• Like 2

I think it is ludicrous to assume drum corps is dead. Even before the birth of DCI, drum corps have been changing. That does not mean it is dead.

• Like 2

Here is something that you probably do not expect from a dino like me: As long as there is marching brass, marching drums, marching guard, and it is a youth (21 - under) activity it will be considered drum corps in my book. Although I might not like the advent of synths and electronics (not because of instrumental reasons but of technical problems that always arise) I can accept change without reservation. The only beef I have with the current rules is the allowance for an adult professional to run the sound board because that allows a non-member over the age of 21 to "directly" influence the score outcome of the show in real time which is supposed to only be accomplished by the youth. Other than that, have at it you young whipper-snappers!!!

• Like 4

Stu, you are one of my favorite "Dinos". I agree with everything in that post, including the soundboard issue. And it has nothing to do with the technology, just the influence of score.

Stu, you are one of my favorite "Dinos". I agree with everything in that post, including the soundboard issue. And it has nothing to do with the technology, just the influence of score.

Aw shucks; you see what happens when you pet a dino instead of poking him with a stick!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

Aw shucks; you see what happens when you pet a dino instead of poking him with a stick!

Sometimes you have to speak softly and carry a big stick. Or you can scream and start poking with said stick. :rolleyes:

Either way, I think I've made my point clear. I'm not all for the lovey-dovey "let's hold hands" stuff, but this is a place to talk about drum corps. The valus, the traditions, the past, present, and future. It's a shame to forget what drum corps is about because we have our heads so far up our you-know-whats fighting about who knows more. This isn't a pissing contest, it's drum corps.

• Like 1