Dinosaurs vs. New Kids on the block

This is a trend that I'm starting to see more and more on here, and it's driving me insane, therefore being the person I am, I feel compelled to bring it up-

Why is that we have to push this whole "You're a young kid, you don't know ####" and "You're too old to understand the new era" bull####?????

Last time I checked, we were unified by the same thing, the love for drum corps. Not about age, race, religion, blah blah blah. There is always something to #### and moan about, I understand that, however, every topic eventually dwindles down to Dinos vs. the young ones. Can't we just realize that the Dinos have tradition and values of the old corps, and that the new kids represent the new era, and leave it at that? Maybe we wouldn't have all this "Drum Corps is dead" BS if we were actually discussing the issues instead of complaining about how the young kids "just don't get it" and how the dinos "just don't understand the new stuff".

"New Kids"-

Tradition is a major part of drum corps, respect it.

"Dinos"-

Believe it or not, a lot of us are knowledgeable. Just because we weren't there in the 70's, doesn't mean we don't understand the history behind drum corps international.

End Rant

• Like 8

This is a new an interesting concept that appeals to me in a big way.

Also, the first thought that popped in my head when I read the topic...

Edited by Vanguard07
  • Like 2

This is a new an interesting concept that appeals to me in a big way.

Also, the first thought that popped in my head when I read the topic...

:thumbup: Thank you, and great choice in music, lol.

This is a trend that I'm starting to see more and more on here, and it's driving me insane, therefore being the person I am, I feel compelled to bring it up-

Why is that we have to push this whole "You're a young kid, you don't know ####" and "You're too old to understand the new era" bull####?????

Last time I checked, we were unified by the same thing, the love for drum corps. Not about age, race, religion, blah blah blah. There is always something to #### and moan about, I understand that, however, every topic eventually dwindles down to Dinos vs. the young ones. Can't we just realize that the Dinos have tradition and values of the old corps, and that the new kids represent the new era, and leave it at that? Maybe we wouldn't have all this "Drum Corps is dead" BS if we were actually discussing the issues instead of complaining about how the young kids "just don't get it" and how the dinos "just don't understand the new stuff".

"New Kids"-

Tradition is a major part of drum corps, respect it.

"Dinos"-

Believe it or not, a lot of us are knowledgeable. Just because we weren't there in the 70's, doesn't mean we don't understand the history behind drum corps international.

End Rant

When I marched, we used to hype on the old recordings of our corps and other corps.....as I am sure many current corps members do.....and many of us would even pass time on bus rides learning old drum solos........as a current member back then we were able to respect what was in our past, and appreciate how the activity evolved.

As much as many in here won't want to hear it........the "dino" card only really gets pulled as a rebuttle by the younger crowd.....the truth of the matter is, the the older drum corps crowd is probably the biggest "culprit" in the ever draining debate of "drum corps is dead garbage"........

Just my opinion / two cents

Edited by dbg
  • Like 1

I'd have to disagree to you saying that it's pulled as a rebuttal by the young crowd, because since I've been observing (2005 that I started, 2007 when I decided to open an account) the forum, both sides pull the card about even.

So....what about dinos vs N'Sync??

*sorry....had to be said*

I'm all about the witty stuff here, so it doesn't have to be all serious so long as my point is actually made. :)

:offtopic: This thread is now turning too silly, can we get on topic now?

"The reason so many people can't be happy is that they see the past as better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it actually is."

I'm not sure who said that originally, but it pretty much sums up this whole argument well.