A Sound professional's take

The bottom line, and my primary reason for posting this opinion in the first place, is to point out that proper mixing of A&E is impossible in drum corps. So, do we just lay back and take it? Are you satisfied with the production values of poorly mixed sound, overbalanced pits and thunderous goo?

It is NOT impossible. Overall the A&E at Indy was, in my opinion, very good. I think it has improved each year and I anticipate it will only get even better. I think a lot of the fans that spent a good bit of their time STANDING AND APPLAUDING would also agree that it is NOT impossible.

I was skeptical when the rule was first changed to allow it, but I look at the 12 shows I saw on finals night and ask "Would they be better WITHOUT A&E?" and I think an honest answer is NO. They made the shows BETTER. (again MY opinion)

Finally, as one who attends quite a few PROFESSIONAL concerts every year...I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a show and thought the A&E sound being produced by these PROFESSIONAL sound engineers was simply NOT GOOD and made me wonder if they were hearing what most of us in the audience were hearing.

All things considered, I think the drum corps folks are starting to do a pretty good job with it.

Those are the words of a hater! Why are you so full of hate?

Awwww, where is the Luv? Where is the tolerance for just answering a simple question? And besides, I do not think you will become "popular" by jumping on poor ole me. Wait, you just might because there are many ennemas (that is street talk for enemies) who will green ya for calling me a hater!!!

...And as one Southerner to (presumably?) another, lay off the y'alls. Y'all are startin to sound like Paula Deen, y'all, but y'all don't have brand to build so there's no reason for y'all to do it, y'all.

Sorry you don't like it. Never occurred to me that some of y'all might care whether I called y'all "y'all." Doubt I'll be able to fix it.

HH

You're missing the point. It's not the presence of A&E we're discussing. There's plenty (and I mean PLENTY!) of threads about that. The point is the inability for corps to mix their sound properly with the equipment they have, in the time allotted, with the amateurs they've assigned to do it...

I'm not missing the point. I just don't accept the premise that this is a continuing failure for DCI corps. I particularly disagree with the contention that A&E in 2011 was some sort of unique failure as if the brass, drums, guard and visual didn't sometimes come up short too. That's my point about Balanchine and college music professors. Experts will find room to critique all that we do.

We agree, I hope, that every corps should strive to do better with electronics just as they do with brass, drums and guard.

HH

Sometimes -

Sound is in the ear of the beholder.

Getting everything set up and adjusted to the optimal mix is more art than science. And even then - put 10 sound professionals in a room and you will get at least 13 opinions on what optimal is.

• Like 1

The sound of muted trumpets and soft-malleted keyboards would not have sounded nearly as angelic. There was no question as to what the angelic sounds represented.

By that logic, corps should use narration much more often, so there would be no confusion as to what the shows mean.

• Like 1

So what if DCI had there own set of amps and stuff, and all the corps had to use what is provieded. Would that work? it would at least alleviate 9 years of set up befor your performance

Is it bad when it's effective, whether or not it's commonly available? Company fronts are done by almost every marching band or drum corps that has ever taken the field, but they're still effective.

Boo, the angel sounds were effective but were purchased. Company fronts are free, but require skills and training from ALL the performers.

And that's what competition is all about. Who shows the most skills, not who buys the most toys.

• Like 4

Boo, the angel sounds were effective but were purchased. Company fronts are free, but require skills and training from ALL the performers.

And that's what competition is all about. Who shows the most skills, not who buys the most toys.

BUCKETS! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: