Inside the Arc - "The Pit That Ate Drum Corps"

If I didn't know better, I'd think your analogy to the iPad was to demonstrate how much could be saved (weight, transportation, volume of instruments) by making the pit fully electronic...the synthesizers doing for large pit instruments what the iPad did for the airline's manuals and charts. :devil:

(I'm not even close, am I?) :rolleyes:

No, but you did get it. I can tell.

I'd just like to see the corps "get it" and live up to the proposals they voted for, and for the reasons they voted for them. But we are all becoming more aware of the smoke screen and BS that accompanies recent rule change proposals.

Garry in Vegas

wrong. The pit can be a major voice. the problem is the people in charge of balancing the non accoustic volumes with the accoustic ones

Respectfully, Jeff …

If you think the pit should be a major element in the music, were going to have to disagree. Listen to one of my favorite shows, Readings Shostakovich show. All that creamy low brass. What does the pit add to that? Bass drums (real bass drums, not the tuned basses of the battery)? Tymps? OK. But the mallets? Take the mallets out of the piece and I dont lose one goose bump.

Now, just for discussions sake, lets take that show and cut the mallets. Rearrange a few bits to cover the resulting holes in the music. What do you think the judges would do to that show?

Me too. They would bury it.

I contend that there were two major reasons that pits came into being:

- Tympani and bells to add little adornments to the music.

- Save the backs of some percussionists.

The two major reasons that pits exist today:

- The judges have to score the way the leading corps dictate.

- The instrument companies behind the leading corps want to sell pit equipment to high school bands.

Somebody out there has the talent to write a thrilling show sans mallets. No judging panel has the courage to give it a good score.

If you want to groove out on pits, go to an indoor percussion show. Dont support the movement to homogenize winter guard, indoor percussion, marching band, and drum corps.

Edited by The Oz
  • Like 1

What I remember was (source DC News):

1) Hard to march the more open (IOW - not elevator) drum drill lugging the tymps and bells. So park the big stuff to free up the drill.

2) Drum lines was WASTING three people by having 4 people play 4 tymps. With a pit, one person could play all 4 tymps and free up 3 people to play other perc and march.

Second one is a real laugher or an "Oh ####" depending on your point of view.

Didn't follow corps from about 1993-2003. What an explosion of front line "stuff" since that time.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Respectfully, Jeff …

If you think the pit should be a major element in the music, we’re going to have to disagree. Listen to one of my favorite shows, Reading’s Shostakovich show. All that creamy low brass. What does the pit add to that? Bass drums (real bass drums, not the tuned basses of the battery)? Tymps? OK. But the mallets? Take the mallets out of the piece and I don’t lose one goose bump.

Now, just for discussion’s sake, let’s take that show and cut the mallets. Rearrange a few bits to cover the resulting holes in the music. What do you think the judges would do to that show?

Me too. They would bury it.

The two major reasons that pits exist today:

- The judges have to score the way the leading corps dictate.

- The instrument companies behind the leading corps want to sell pit equipment to high school bands.

Somebody out there has the talent to write a thrilling show sans mallets. No judging panel has the courage to give it a good score.

If you want to groove out on pits, go to an indoor percussion show. Don’t support the movement to homogenize winter guard, indoor percussion, marching band, and drum corps.

Wow, do you realize how you're affecting our (the current dci members) opinion on alumni drum corps members? It's blowing it out of proportion. It's fine that you don't like the pit, I get it, but to say that we are completely useless and should be cut all together is rediculous and offensive. This whole forum is a bit over the top with arguing about electronics. Opinions are cool and everyone has them, but nobody is going to change anyone's opinion through a DCP forum. Now I know why my corps director told me to stay away from this site.

• Like 2

Now I know why my corps director told me to stay away from this site.

Yeah, heaven forbid you have the free will to read and discuss opinions. Your response was well stated. Don't go away just because your opinion differs from someone else's. And don't let someone else dictate where and what you read.

Garry in Vegas

Wow, do you realize how you're affecting our (the current dci members) opinion on alumni drum corps members? It's blowing it out of proportion. It's fine that you don't like the pit, I get it, but to say that we are completely useless and should be cut all together is rediculous and offensive. This whole forum is a bit over the top with arguing about electronics. Opinions are cool and everyone has them, but nobody is going to change anyone's opinion through a DCP forum. Now I know why my corps director told me to stay away from this site.

Don't let the dino rawrs freak you out! They're mostly harmless.

Land-of-The-Lost-450.jpg

Dear sir or madam,

Are you sure you are responding to my post?

- I am not an alumni corps member. Never have been. Doubtful I ever will be. Even if I was, I would not dare to speak for them.

- I did not say that the pit is “completely useless and should be cut all together”. I am arguing that the pit is too large, too costly, and has taken too prominent a place on the field and in the music.

- My argument is not aimed specifically to DCI. I’m sure that I am also disturbing DCA pitters.

You can take solace in the fact that, as you said, no one is going to be convinced by my arguments. It is very doubtful that anything will change because of my posts.

Does that make you feel better?

One final word of advice, hanging around DCP is not for the thin skinned. If you have an opinion you are free to voice it. Strongly, if you feel so. It’s free country.

OK, I lied, one more thing. Please don’t attempt to make this an us versus them debate. It is me debating whoever posts an argument to my post. Me versus you. Me versus Jeff. Maybe some folks may post in support of my position; or some parts of it. Enjoy the rhetoric.

Yes, this is where the problem lies: you are either not understanding modern design/orchestration trends, or you are being stubborn with your personal beliefs and choose to ignore those trends while maintaining your outdated preferences.

Even in modern orchestral and band literature, percussion is OFTEN used as the main focal point of long musical phrases. The days of boom-chick and vibe comping as the standard orchestration trends are FAR from over in all aspects of music.

If percussive instrumentation was meant to become the " main focal point " in modern orchestra and modern symphony playing, then one would naturally expect to see the percussive instrumention in such musical ensembles logistically positioned out front and center on stage. The fact that they are not positioned out front and center in most orchestras and symphonies, tells us pretty convincingly in my opinion that these musical ensembles still consider percussive instrumentation ( while still important.. and having a larger role perhaps today ) that of a complimentary section to both the other instruments used in the performance and most importantly.. to the music presented to the audience in the show performance.

Edited by BRASSO