DCA is competitive again.

What's going to be very interesting over the next months is to observe what decisions DCA makes as an organization. Half the finalists in open call are outside the northeast "heart" of DCA. That has to count for something.

I don't foresee any earth-shattering changes, but if they wanted to sneak in a rule requiring all corps to travel out of region for at least one show (say, in order to keep their prelims seeding or something), I certainly wouldn't be opposed.

It would be interesting to see if in fact anything of merit happens, but I doubt it will. It is more than reasonable to assume that most of the DCA member corps and their followers will be immersed with travel arrangements, details and housing in a new city for the 2012 championships and that will be where the focus will be aimed in the coming months.

Edited by Hypemeister

Ace,

Clearly you didn't see the first half of the Notre Dame South Florida game yesterday... even Touchdown Jesus was holding his nose!!!

As to the Bucs vs. MBI dialogue - sounds a lot like the old days between Cabs and Sky. It's actually good for the activity.

ND are truly horrible, yet they still get coverage!

Yes, I think it's good for the activity for corps to work hard toward excellence, which sometimes generates "upsets."

I happened to be the announcer at the Hurcs' show in 2003 when Hawthorne broke the Brigs' streak. I inwardly applauded the Bellbottoms' rise more than 'Cuse getting dumped.

Yep, have to agree that ND sucks. They are in for a long season.......

However......I think a more accurate analogy would be in DCI and how everyone cheers when BD loses. They are great and deserve what they get, but people like the championship to move around a bit.

Edited by Hypemeister

I don't foresee any earth-shattering changes, but if they wanted to sneak in a rule requiring all corps to travel out of region for at least one show (say, in order to keep their prelims seeding or something), I certainly wouldn't be opposed.

Then what about Renegades and Dream and other corps past the Rockies? The only logistically feasible idea MAY be going to Texas but that's still a harsh idea for the western corps to pull off and the last thing the activity should have is some sort of required out of region show just for SEEDING. I understand that MBI usually goes to a show in the Northeast nowadays but what about Govies? Or what about the Lakeshoremen if they return to DCA's? Cincinnati Tradition as well would have that little movement issue though not AS harsh as MBI and Govenaires (You could even count Chops, Inc. if they come back).

Now that being said, if DCA were to have such a rule but allow an exception for corps going beyond a certain distance or if a corps cannot fiscally handle the rule.

Then what about Renegades and Dream and other corps past the Rockies? The only logistically feasible idea MAY be going to Texas but that's still a harsh idea for the western corps to pull off and the last thing the activity should have is some sort of required out of region show just for SEEDING. I understand that MBI usually goes to a show in the Northeast nowadays but what about Govies? Or what about the Lakeshoremen if they return to DCA's? Cincinnati Tradition as well would have that little movement issue though not AS harsh as MBI and Govenaires (You could even count Chops, Inc. if they come back).

Now that being said, if DCA were to have such a rule but allow an exception for corps going beyond a certain distance or if a corps cannot fiscally handle the rule.

Dream was only able to do out of state trips for DCA itself when I marched, and not even all years (just 04 and 06). Even teaming up with Renegades to get gear out to Rochester, it was still a big financial deal to do so. Finances probably kept Dream from going this year...I know that's what happened in 05 (thanks to our equip truck throwing a rod on the way home from 04....kinda sucked all the 05 travel funds away)

They're somewhat similar to Troopers waaaaay back when they HAD to travel just to get to ANY shows. The diff is both DO have several regional shows they can and do perform in.....but they're DCI ones, as there is no DCA-West region yet (we need one more, and En Garde is still on the back burner)

there needs to be a rule that all DCA corps need to run at least one show for DCA member corps....if there isn't one already. They need to find a way to strengthen all regions and promote the founding of new corps and shows.

there needs to be a rule that all DCA corps need to run at least one show for DCA member corps....if there isn't one already. They need to find a way to strengthen all regions and promote the founding of new corps and shows.

That's a far riskier proposition than the one I suggested. Holding a show when there's no support for one from the community can be fiscally disastrous.

• Like 1

I was actually encouraged by the Northeast, while i think it is good for DCA to have a champ from outside he traditional Northeast region, several corps from the NorthEast in Class A look to be upping their game and in a couple years Fusion Core, Sunrisers, White sabers and Excellsior may be into the chase and Bush may come back again too. The corps from outside the NorthEast though will push these corps to step up their game. I really was impressed with the Class A lineup. I remeber years ago sitting through the small corps respecting them for the time they put in and effort they made but not really enjoying the shows. I think all the class A shows were well put together this year and enjoyable. So I am really looking forward to next year to see how much better tehy have gotten.