Any thoughts on having an Alumni Association?

NYSkyliner

"Don't Get 'Round Much Anymore":

Struck up a conversation with a gentleman in an old Norwood Park Imperials Jacket at H-Berg. Olde tymmer was astonished to learn Norman Prince, Stratford's Yankees, and Skokie & Hamm's Indians had folded, the Jersey Joes and "Skeeters" were also inactive, and the Laidlaw Toreadors were now the Minnesota Brass.

He also remarked that Hawthorne looked exactly like they did in the early 1950's, but their drum major seemed a "Little Shorter" than he remembered Ralph Silverbrand..... (Seriously:))

Elphaba

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I know at the Maryland DCAM meetings, the definition of "back in the day" for some is definitely different than for others. LOL.

Some of the people in the organization... when they say "back in the day" they mean the 1930s and 1940s!!! Every meeting is like a mini history lesson on drum corps of days gone by.

Edited by Fran Haring

Okay, you're all absolutely correct; it'll never work. So I won't even discuss it any further.

I'll just send out a few emails to some folks. For example, "Dear Wilbur and Orville, why don't you just forget about this whole 'flying thing'." It'll never work." Or, "Dear Jonas, this polio vaccine thing isn't sponsored by the right people. You'd better just drop it." Or, "Dear Christopher, forget about this trip to the so-called new world. The folks running the old world won't like it." "Besides, Reverend King, nobody will show up." :sarcasm:

You forgot the moon landing.

Wait a minute... that was faked. :tongue:

*edit ~ or is this a thread where we are all supposed to nod along in agreement?*

No noddings allowed... as in no "Yes People" (can't say Yes Men) and no nodding off... :ph34r:

s/ Guy who just made his first practice in months at the "Town Band That Happens To Be a Drum Corps" practice at the Hanover Legion...

And to carry your idea one step further, would it not be possible to include those who wish to participate in some sort of venue at the DCA weekend - perhaps an Alumni Spectacular II.

Obviously, it can't be in the stadium, but let's say on Sunday afternoon, after the Alumni Spectacular but before the Finals, at some central location, these lesser-known alumni corps perform in a standstill. In Rochester, for example, it could have been the steps behind the Crown Plaza - facing the river. No tickets; no competitive atmosphere; no drill; no involvement by DCA or venue personnel; just a chance for some of these lesser-known corps to play before an audience of their peers - drum corps people.

Perhaps the exposure may prompt them to even greater efforts in terms of recuiting; or someone seeing them may just decide that it might be fun to join; or we may possibly even find a diamond in the rough - to be invited to other shows over the course of the next year. Who knows.... But to use the corps you mentioned above as an example, who here has seen the Standish Guard or the Red Knights? This would be the corps' opportunity to see and be seen.

the key question here is who pays? does DCA pay to run this show? I ask because even with a small corps, it's not cheap to move them, especially if it involves a weekend trip. If no tickets are sold...where does the $$ come from?

. . . the Skowhegan Maine Hosophone Ensemble . . .

I competed against them Andy in '58. :tongue:

I honestly think it needs to be more thought out for better exposure for the corps who would make the trip just for this chance to perform. I also think that it shouldn't be placed in a time zone that could possible effect the attendance during other portions of the show weekend, i.e. the beginning of Finals. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

*edit ~ or is this a thread where we are all supposed to nod along in agreement?*

I agree because that afternoon slot for many is great downtime. And not everyone stays downtown...so for people who stay out by the airport, further north or south of town....yeah it's an issue.

There are plusses......but the big issue is when to make it happen.

Now...

a thought.

I know that they clear out the stadium between shows on Sunday. I'm not sure how many people stay and tailgate or if it's even allowed. But if it is...

set it up down by the stadium. Now I'm just using Rachacha as an example, I don't know the layout in Annapolis yet, but given the size of the parking lot there, this makes far more sense.

You make the downtime a party atmosphere. Last time I went to a Phillies game, on the street between the lots and the stadium, the street was closed off to traffic and they had a band on a stage playing away, people were walking around, getting food and drinks etc.

Now this is a way to not only help exposure, but a way to sell more product for local vendors, which means more tax dollars brought in.

You forgot the moon landing.

Wait a minute... that was faked. :tongue:

Little known historical fact, Fran.....

The moon landing filming was done on a sound stage in the very same building in which Al Gore invented the Internet. Bet you didn't know that....

I agree because that afternoon slot for many is great downtime. And not everyone stays downtown...so for people who stay out by the airport, further north or south of town....yeah it's an issue.

There are plusses......but the big issue is when to make it happen.

Now...

a thought.

I know that they clear out the stadium between shows on Sunday. I'm not sure how many people stay and tailgate or if it's even allowed. But if it is...

set it up down by the stadium. Now I'm just using Rachacha as an example, I don't know the layout in Annapolis yet, but given the size of the parking lot there, this makes far more sense.

You make the downtime a party atmosphere. Last time I went to a Phillies game, on the street between the lots and the stadium, the street was closed off to traffic and they had a band on a stage playing away, people were walking around, getting food and drinks etc.

Now this is a way to not only help exposure, but a way to sell more product for local vendors, which means more tax dollars brought in.

We stay at the sirport with the Hurrcs and White Sabers and yep, between Alumni and Finals is down time to rest up. Yeah we're old too.... But any afternoon stuff would probably be skipped by us as we need to get back to the hotel, freshen up (I'm PA Dutch), rest up and grab a bite of real food (well what the Holiday Inn calls real food).

the key question here is who pays? does DCA pay to run this show? I ask because even with a small corps, it's not cheap to move them, especially if it involves a weekend trip. If no tickets are sold...where does the $$ come from?

Jeff, the original intent was that DCA would not run this show and that nobody would be paid. This was merely an opportunity for some visibility and a chance to play before your peers.

I realize that it costs to move even a small corps, but does the opportunity to be visible outweigh that cost? That's for the small corps to decide. Similar to moving a mini-corps; who picks up their costs? They do.

Jeff, the original intent was that DCA would not run this show and that nobody would be paid. This was merely an opportunity for some visibility and a chance to play before your peers.

I realize that it costs to move even a small corps, but does the opportunity to be visible outweigh that cost? That's for the small corps to decide. Similar to moving a mini-corps; who picks up their costs? They do.

Andy,

If I'm a corps director in this economy, I worry about costs before exposure.So to expound on my longer post about the party atmosphere outside the stadium...say we get someone to underwrite it.? Say Joe's Annapolis Crabs decides they want to throw a good old fashioned clambake party between finals and the alumni show.....and hey,say each corps gets $250 to show up.

Trust me, you set up a setup like this, pay each corps at least something and sell an ### load of food and beverages, money is made by the sponsor.....and those corps get expsoure and a few $$ to offset travel.

Yes exposure is important. But what good is expsoure if you break the bank to get it? How many corps in DCA or DCi went belly up travelling theglobeto get exposure, only to drown in a sea of red ink?