Phantom 2012

164 members have voted

1. 1. top 6, even with new satf?

• yes
    • no

Just wondering aloud here – but Regtiment 2009 wasn’t just a visual disaster it was also one of their weakest musical books in the past 30 years and 2010 was only a slight step up musically but killer visually (just not fully achieved)

In many ways, those shows felt not very Regiment, as if the Regiment leash was relaxed due to the success of 2008 perhaps? I had figured they were a bit California bandy but the horn book of 2009 reeks of an arranger flexing their chops and trying different styles (which was the musical point of that show after all)

So who really was responsible for Regiment 2009 as far as design?

maybe, working under the Regiment style has been a benefit and once given free reign, short comings will be exposed as they get lost in the woods because I also see SCV 2011’s major flaw as poor design choice with regards to music selection – as it seems as if the entire show was written around the drum line and the selection of Devils Staircase (which would have been fine for a drum solo but not an entire show)

Often ‘artists’ need editors, direction and an honest opinion to keep them on track and their head out of their own ###

Not saying this is the case here (SCV 2012) but it will be interesting to watch

I never thought of it that way - interesting notion! Because let's face it - the 2009 show was brought to you by the majority of the 2008 staff. I did love 2010 though!!

Later,

Mike

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering aloud here – but Regtiment 2009 wasn’t just a visual disaster it was also one of their weakest musical books in the past 30 years and 2010 was only a slight step up musically but killer visually (just not fully achieved)

I see your point here, but I don't completely agree. The 2009 book had A LOT of notes. Think of the individual section features, and especially the movement after the ballad. Tons of notes being passed around the hornline. And that hornline was awesome by the end of the summer. People who marched the past couple years at Regiment talk about that hornline all the time.

So I wouldn't exactly call it one of their weakest books in recent history, but I do agree that from a design standpoint, it was just too scattered. And don't even get me started on the drill that year... *shudder*

2010 was (IMO) what transitioned from 09 to the "Phantom Balladment" phase from this past summer. There are a lot of similarities in terms of musical style with the 2010 and 2011 productions (i.e. ballad opener, something quick, another ballad, something quick, another ballad, end.)

But at least they marched in double time haha

• Like 1

Yeah, that structure definitely plays to their musical strengths. I'm anxious to see how that style will change under a different brass team. I'm sure Don Hill wants to keep the Regiment tradition alive, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a different approach for the 2012 season.

I feel that phantom will take a hit. how far they drop depends on how the competition steps up.

SCV has improved, so one would assume that phantom will fall to 6 at least. We saw phantom's percussion last year tank HARD from the year before. 1st place percussion to 5th place? I wonder hhow much further they will fall with even less holding them up.

Will they fall out of the first disc depends on how Bloo recovers from losing their entire brass staff to SCV, and how Boston does with their additions. It is likely that Phantom will fall to anywhere between 6 and 8th place, although i would not be wholly surprised if they do fall further than that.

I feel that phantom will take a hit. how far they drop depends on how the competition steps up.

A statement which applies to every single corps.

Their percussion will be better than the all rookie line of last year.

Their drill although not to everyones taste will be just as good if not better. As 2011 showed, Jamey Thompson knows how to write to the Regiments strengths.

Brass is the unknown...

Their drill although not to everyones taste will be just as good if not better. As 2011 showed, Jamey Thompson knows how to write to the Regiments strengths.

Brass is the unknown...

I don't agree, there are a few corps that we can expect to drop, or rise.

Most people would say that scv, madison, and crown will improve

And most people would say that phantom, cavies, and possibly bluecoats, will drop.

You know that each category is not isolated. Music design imacts visual, and so on.

• Like 1

Brass is the unknown...

Just wait until you see who's all on the brass staff then

Most people would say that scv, madison, and crown will improve

And most people would say that phantom, cavies, and possibly bluecoats, will drop.

Most folk said the same thing about the same corps this time last year...

• Like 1