Marty Hurley has died

DRB

While I was certainly not a close friend to him, I remember him and will always think of him as a first rate person. He was nice enough to respond to an email I sent him a few years ago and remembered me after many years. Marty moved the activity forward. He is a legend.

• Like 1

Link to the local newspaper write up

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2011/09/longtime_brother_martin_high_s.html

edit for correct link

Edited by The Other Mike

RIP Marty. A very sad day for his family and the wider drum corps family. He came across to Scotland in the mid 80's ('86 I think) to teach our drum line. They never shut up about how great he was. God bless.

Mods, please merge threads. The original thread has more content.

I heard that the Angels apparently played lift-sevens off the left today; and they said it was an honor to finally have Marty arriving to show ‘em how they were supposed to be played straight from the shoulder. He will be missed by many here... and God please be with his friends and family.

• Like 1

I had the pleasure of spending some time with Marty during the summer of 82 as we saw Phantom on tour quite a bit. He gave me some really great tips and advice even though he didn't know me too well, just watching me play with another corps at our shared housing site possibly Beloit. Drum corps has lot some great icons lately, Bill Cook, Bob Lendman and now Marty. Rest in Peace to all of you.....