Key Poulan to Glassmen

Totally disagree. I'm one of those people. If I enjoy what the corps is putting on the field; If I think the programming is going in the right direction; If I believe the show designers are starting to "GET" what the crowd wants from them ..... I open my wallet. I do it every year. I do it for several corps that deserve it. It's not about being on the band wagon. It's about rewarding an organization for hitting my soft spots. Not only do I give money .. but I buy food, medical supplies ... you name it. And I often stick around for a day or two and help out in the food truck or wherever they want me. I don't do it for the recognition of the corps ..... I do it because they've earned it (above and beyond buying a t-shirt and a ticket to the next show). I'm sure I'm far from being alone.

I'd love to hear you expand on the specifics of this, meaning, what you have done with what corps in what years based on which performances. I don't mean to demean your contribution to our activity; far from it, we need more like you. Still, I have to be honest in that I consider it far more likely for an individual to march a corps because of their program leading to contributions further down the line, than someone take the initiative to assist a corps in a given year based on their programming decisions for that year, despite your personal anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Not to mention the quality of those contributions, in the sense that a person who returns to a corps year after year after year is likely more valuable to drum corps staffs than someone who happens to personally like this year's program. But I'm sure we can agree to disagree.

And me and Holton are both talking about reaching out to a different fan base than you, Dan. Yes, I understand that the older fan base has more money, but we both believe that the current programming is intended for the younger demographic and the ones that the next year could be paying almost 3000 to the corps and spending at least one whole summer being a part of an organization. It's easy to go out and buy a jersey and call yourself a fan of the new rage sports team (I wanna use a Lions reference but I'm still too scared) but it's another thing to be a true fan. I know you understand what a true fan is, but I don't think you're willing to acknowledge there's a major difference between being a fan, and being an actual supporter.

Absolutely, Positively, WRONG.

Key is a friend of mine and one of the nicest if not THE nicest guy ive ever met in this activity. Key has a wonderful family and home is where he is needed right now.

Stop all the speculation and the theories, I promise you they will be all wrong.

Jay

YES! ABSOLUTELY!!! I may not know Key as well as HBD but I've done some work for Key over the last year and trust me (and HBD)- do not doubt the family issues. This is not a joking matter, nor a fake excuse.

Of course there are long term commitments that I have made to certain organizations. Some have lost my faith and my money over the years. I still get the calls 2 or 3 times a year and my answer to them is ... NO I'm not going to give this year because I'm not in support of the programming choices/direction of the corps/whatever. It happens.

But I do make an effort to support several corps each year that are heading in the right direction or are already there. NO, I will not name specific corps. That's pointless to the argument. And Matt, I'm not sure I fit any demographic ... especially not the OLDER fan demographic. I'm down with what's current as well as the older school. The point is .. if a corps is doing things right, it's obvious. The next step is to find the corps on the road; see how they're running daily; watch some rehearsal time; talk to instructors and admins; check the vibe of the kids. You can learn alot in one day. If everything looks up to snuff ... why not open your wallet and contribute to a worthy cause? I know youngsters can't afford to do this .. but a high percentage of DCI fans CAN. I didn't say potential members ... I said FANS.

What does all of this have to do with Key Poulan and the Glassmen? Not much yet, because I'm not opening my wallet or giving of my time. If Key is the KEY to what's been missing ... then that might change. However, I feel this rests more with Brian than anyone. I love him dearly. We marched together BITD. I think he knows it's time to make some changes in a different direction and I can't wait to see what the corps puts on the field this summer. I'm sure I'll see it 3 to 5 times in 2012. Until I see it for myself ... my reservations will remain intact.

ya know, why can't people just take his word for it?

Key isn't the guy to make up cover stories

I don't think Key Poulan is "making up" anything.

It is sad, however, that we have the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.

Almost all of the changes we have seen recently are tagged with "for family reasons" when they are just shuffling staff. We've become so used to this stock excuse as a reason for people to leave a staff that we have grown to instantly not believe it when we hear it.

Key's a good guy, I'm not his biggest fan, but he's a good guy. Sad that, this time, the actions of others who are not capable of owning up to the fact they a)got fired or b) want to move to greener pastures, is hurting his reputation.

I don't think Key Poulan is "making up" anything.

It is sad, however, that we have the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.

Almost all of the changes we have seen recently are tagged with "for family reasons" when they are just shuffling staff. We've become so used to this stock excuse as a reason for people to leave a staff that we have grown to instantly not believe it when we hear it.

Key's a good guy, I'm not his biggest fan, but he's a good guy. Sad that, this time, the actions of others who are not capable of owning up to the fact they a)got fired or b) want to move to greener pastures, is hurting his reputation.

whats just as sad is that people believe its their business no matter what the reason a person leaves is...news flash...its not

• Like 1

whats just as sad is that people believe its their business no matter what the reason a person leaves is...news flash...its not

Then don't put it on your g-d websites.

These people bringing it upon themselves, they plaster it on their website announcements. If it isn't true, or if you don't want people to know why you really left... then don't say anything. And ask the group you are affiliated with not to, as well.

Then don't put it on your g-d websites.

These people bringing it upon themselves, they plaster it on their website announcements. If it isn't true, or if you don't want people to know why you really left... then don't say anything. And ask the group you are affiliated with not to, as well.

hey im agreeing with you...except people want to dig more...they guys leavinn whatever reason he gave why does he have to detail....he doesnt

Edited by GUARDLING