As to the President's Remarks - The Cadets are a Marching Band

You say that like it is important, or good.

97% of people thinking anything, has no bearing, on the actuality of something.

97% of people have believed the world was flat, 97% of people thought the bubonic plague was the end of the world.

Being uninformed and being the majority, doesn't make you correct.

DCI doesn't have an issue with "drum corps" vs. "marching band". DCI has an image issue. Until they learn how to advertise themselves for what they are and actually become known, this problem will pervade. College Football and High School Football are two seperate things, and the population realizes and understands this.

We are not asking too much, if at some point, the general population knows the difference between Drum Corps and Marching Band, as similar as they are, they are different.

spoken as someone who is insular and does not wish to obtain a larger fanbase. Noted. In your mind then, drum corps demise is imminent. It is controlled mostly by actuary charts. We are the WGN Radio of activities, still doing the farm report at lunch. Noted.

Has anyone considered the very real possibilty that he (and/or his speechwriter) called Cadets a marching band deliberately? So that people in the room would easily understand what he's referring to?

On the CBC issues, consider the possiblity that the Prez ad libbed. The speechwriter might well have gotten it right. But the President, knowing they were behind schedule for instance, might have skipped around the text, rendering our Cadets the Cadets of Bergen County once again. I've seen that happen many times in speeches.

HH

That's exactly my point. Exactly. He actually helps DCI's and DCA's marketing effort by calling it what it is. Marching Band.

For you oldies... that stands for:

Inadequate, but cute.

I thought it was in reference to President John F. Kennedy going to Garfield, NJ and stating, "Ich bin Cadet."

(His speechwriters had originally written, "Ich bin ein Cadet," but they were still smarting over the popular misconception about the Berlin speech having something to do with doughnuts.)

• Like 2

Go eat some sushi...that greenish paste next to the soy sauce. Japanese horseradishy mustard stuff. Wasabi.

Oh, but for heaven's sake, be very, very careful if this would be your first experience with wasabi. It is NOT Japanese guacamole as I first erroneously thought the first time I saw it.

• Like 1

I don't care what the President of the United States or any other leader or important person calls us, as long as they mention us in a positive way.

The Dalai Lama could refer to drum corps as "rhythms of the drum circles with lotus blossoms in B-flat" and I wouldn't get bent over it.

• Like 1

I don't care what the President of the United States or any other leader or important person calls us, as long as they mention us in a positive way.

The Dalai Lama could refer to drum corps as "rhythms of the drum circles with lotus blossoms in B-flat" and I wouldn't get bent over it.

and in this...you and I agree.

Has anyone considered the very real possibilty that he (and/or his speechwriter) called Cadets a marching band deliberately? So that people in the room would easily understand what he's referring to?

On the CBC issues, consider the possiblity that the Prez ad libbed. The speechwriter might well have gotten it right. But the President, knowing they were behind schedule for instance, might have skipped around the text, rendering our Cadets the Cadets of Bergen County once again. I've seen that happen many times in speeches.

HH

Funny. As much as I despise the marching band label being applied to drum corps, this idea crossed my mind last week:

What if it was George, himself, who requested his group be called a marching band? It is no secret that GH feels this way, and his actions to incorporate instrumentation that validates his opinion.

Isn't it possible that he found a willing partner, who didn't know any better and could be duped, to promote his vision for the activity morphing into his marching band vision?

Just pouring my second glass of wine...

• Like 1

Oh, but for heaven's sake, be very, very careful if this would be your first experience with wasabi. It is NOT Japanese guacamole as I first erroneously thought the first time I saw it.

Japanese guac? HaHaHa!

Funniest darn thing I've read in a long time, Boo, and you write lots of funny stuff.

Would have loved to see your face as that taste kicked in.

On a similar subject, I had a friend who moved here (central Ohio) after spending 25 years living in the back woods of Maine. Took him to a Chinese restaurant for lunch and noticed halfway through that he was sweating profusely. Then I saw him put a fork-full of fried rice with a bright red chili pepper on it in his mouth. He chewed it voraciously and smiled sheepishly.

He truly didn't know that he wasn't supposed to eat the peppers.

I laughed for a week.

Geez what is it with corps people. Back in the 70's on tour we stopped at a decent resturant. One of the drummers thought the scoop of butter was ice cream.

I can only imagine a big gob of wasabi......