Annapolis Area Hotels

I have started to make plans for DCA 2012 Championships and hope some of the "natives" from Annapolis area can help me out with this. We are planning on staying on for a few days following the DCA championships to do some sightseeing in Washington. The only time I have been there was for one day during the 2000 DCI championships, and didn't get to spend as much time there as I would have liked. I recall taking the subway into Union Station and thinking that's probably what we will do this time around, it seems to be a good place to get to almost anywhere else. In any case, my question...should I be looking at staying IN Annapolis, or would I be better off staying a little further on the outskirts to make the trip into D.C. more convenient? We will most likely be flying into/out of Baltimore (BWI) and will have a rental car. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

It would be nice to know where I&E is going to be ... I want to be within "staggering distance" of there! :blink:

It would be nice to know where I&E is going to be ... I want to be within "staggering distance" of there! :blink:

All the events... including the I&E events... are being held at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

Wherever anyone ends up staying... if you're planning on doing some sightseeing in Washington, DC, I would highly recommend using the city's Metro subway system to get around. Driving in and around DC... well... let's just say it's not for the faint of heart. LOL.

IMO, the Metro is a very good system... I used it many, many times when I worked in the area... the various subway routes are color-coded and the various stops and transfer points are pretty easy to figure out.

The closest Metro lines to Annapolis are the Orange and Green lines. The top ends of both of those lines are about a half-hour drive or so from Annapolis.

And for anyone planning to fly in for the DCA weekend, I strongly suggest you fly into Baltimore's BWI Airport, if at all possible... instead of National or Dulles in the DC area.

Especially Dulles. If you fly in there on the Friday afternoon of Labor Day weekend and expect to drive from there to Annapolis in a reasonable amount of time... that ain't happening. :tongue:

Keep your eye on the DCA website. We will have information there very soon regarding hotel options.

2012 is going to be an exciting season!

Wherever anyone ends up staying... if you're planning on doing some sightseeing in Washington, DC, I would highly recommend using the city's Metro subway system to get around. Driving in and around DC... well... let's just say it's not for the faint of heart. LOL.

IMO, the Metro is a very good system... I used it many, many times when I worked in the area... the various subway routes are color-coded and the various stops and transfer points are pretty easy to figure out.

The closest Metro lines to Annapolis are the Orange and Green lines. The top ends of both of those lines are about a half-hour drive or so from Annapolis.

agree. DC's metro is very user friendly, not expensive, clean and policed. if you have a smart phone, they do have an app.

Thanks for the tips...but none of these answers my original question...do you think I'm better off staying in Annapolis, or perhaps somewhere closer to the Metro lines (since that's how we're planning on getting to/from the city)?

Thanks for the tips...but none of these answers my original question...do you think I'm better off staying in Annapolis, or perhaps somewhere closer to the Metro lines (since that's how we're planning on getting to/from the city)?

Unless you're getting a real good rate at your hotel in Annapolis for the DCA weekend, I'd move to a location more convenient to the Metro line for your post-championship vacation ... but, that's just what I'd do ...

:-)

describing the hotels as in Annapolis is somewhat inaccurate... there are a few wonderful hotels including the headquarters hotel which is literally in walking distance of the stadium. However, the hotels spread from the water in Annapolis to BWI airport... what amazed me is that it only took me about 17 minutes to get to the stadium from the airport.

Just looking at a systems map... the John Hanson Hwy 50 seems to go from Annapolis directly to the subway at the cap beltway (New Carrollton)... doesn't look too far from the stadium. maybe 12 miles max.. You might check on Hwy 50 and see what's there.