Drum corps members on "Glee" tonight, Oct. 4

Text of e-mail from Pat Seidling, Stanbury rep for west coast:

If you catch Glee! tonight (Tues, Oct 4, 8 pm on FOX) you'll see a few drum corps kids from BD, PacCrest and Mandarins (They cast RCC band members).

I worked on this episode, helping with costuming and color choices (my 3rd episode I've been involved with) and helped dress the band cast. The band uniform we use is an old-school look I borrowed from a HS in Redlands. The show is set in a fictional small-town Ohio HS, so the color had to match the "Cheerios" outfits (the show's nemesis cheer-leaders), had to match the school colors and not be too "modern", as this small town's band wouldn't necessarily be heading off to win BOA!

The episode features an all-girl marching band dancing (and playing) along with a singer and a growing crowd of students through the hallways as they sing along to Beyonce's "Run this Town."

I know quite a few of the kids they cast, it was fun to see their faces when I walked in to the rehearsal set on the Paramount lot: their "what the heck are you doing here?" look was priceless.

Enjoy! You just might become a "Gleek!" :) Pat

• Like 1

Text of e-mail from Pat Seidling, Stanbury rep for west coast:

If you catch Glee! tonight (Tues, Oct 4, 8 pm on FOX) you'll see a few drum corps kids from BD, PacCrest and Mandarins (They cast RCC band members).

I worked on this episode, helping with costuming and color choices (my 3rd episode I've been involved with) and helped dress the band cast. The band uniform we use is an old-school look I borrowed from a HS in Redlands. The show is set in a fictional small-town Ohio HS, so the color had to match the "Cheerios" outfits (the show's nemesis cheer-leaders), had to match the school colors and not be too "modern", as this small town's band wouldn't necessarily be heading off to win BOA!

The episode features an all-girl marching band dancing (and playing) along with a singer and a growing crowd of students through the hallways as they sing along to Beyonce's "Run this Town."

I know quite a few of the kids they cast, it was fun to see their faces when I walked in to the rehearsal set on the Paramount lot: their "what the heck are you doing here?" look was priceless.

Enjoy! You just might become a "Gleek!" :) Pat

This is a great opportunity for the drum corps kids. However, what is it with Hollywood's obsession with portraying high school bands in "old school" uniforms? I'll bet they even have their shakos (or maybe even big ol' furry busby hats) tilted back on their heads, with their chin straps around their throats...

I am willing to reserve judgement until the episode airs, and I may be dead wrong. But, for once, can't we see a marching band on tv or in the movies whose "modern" uniforms fit properly and whose members are portrayed as serious performers?

As for the "old school" look...why? Is there a football team in the episode? And will they being wearing leather helmets and "old school" jerseys?

Just food for thought.....

• Like 1

This is a great opportunity for the drum corps kids. However, what is it with Hollywood's obsession with portraying high school bands in "old school" uniforms?

As for the "old school" look...why? Is there a football team in the episode? And will they being wearing leather helmets and "old school" jerseys?

1) depending on what HS you went to, what area of the country you're from, etc. it is not uncommon to see the majority of HS marching bands in 'old school' band uniforms. One of the schools in my district bought new uniforms two years ago, and they are "old school" in design. Another band in my district is looking at buying new uniforms for next year, and they are switching from the more modern look they have now to an "old school" design. Directors like that stuff, the community likes it, etc. There's a reason why Cadets haven't radically changed their uniform in 75+ years (FWIW, there's also a reason why most corps do, and I don't have a problem with either - just saying that there is room for "old school" designs and modern designs)

2) $$$ In this day and age, it is expensive for bands to buy new uniforms. My HS alma mater bought new uni's two or three years after I graduated, and they still wear them: almost 20 years later. There are local programs who have been wearing the same uniforms for over three decades because they can't afford (or choose not to invest in) new ones. If it's between updating instruments or uniforms, many directors will choose instruments over a big money investment that is only used for a third of the school year on a weekly basis.

Sorry, but the intensity of my love for drum corps is exceeded only by the disdain I have for any TV show which proudly proclaims it's intention to devote an entire season to shoving their politics down my throat.

As a rather well-known broadcaster once said, "shut up and sing."

But congrats to the kids for getting to work on a real set!

• Like 2

Sorry, but the intensity of my love for drum corps is exceeded only by the disdain I have for any TV show which proudly proclaims it's intention to devote an entire season to shoving their politics down my throat.

As a rather well-known broadcaster once said, "shut up and sing."

But congrats to the kids for getting to work on a real set!

I've never seen the show, but I haven't heard about any political agenda. Do they keep singing the praises of Ronald Reagan?

• Like 3

This is a great opportunity for the drum corps kids. However, what is it with Hollywood's obsession with portraying high school bands in "old school" uniforms? I'll bet they even have their shakos (or maybe even big ol' furry busby hats) tilted back on their heads, with their chin straps around their throats...

I am willing to reserve judgement until the episode airs, and I may be dead wrong. But, for once, can't we see a marching band on tv or in the movies whose "modern" uniforms fit properly and whose members are portrayed as serious performers?

Because while marching band r srs bsns to us, it's, well...kind of nerdy. :shutup:

<I've never seen the show, but I haven't heard about any political agenda. Do they keep singing the praises of Ronald Reagan?>

He's just bumming because they won't burn the gay kid at the stake...

I lol'd

<I've never seen the show, but I haven't heard about any political agenda. Do they keep singing the praises of Ronald Reagan?>

He's just bumming because they won't burn the gay kid at the stake...

Why? Did the kid refuse to sing the praises of Ronald Reagan?

• Like 2