Cadets2 Auditions - What to expect?

Every year around this time, I've been feeling the urge to do drum corps in some kind of form. I just want more "marching band/drum corp" to do. I live in Maryland, so there isn't anything DCA or DCI around here at all.

After looking at several corps, I'm looking at Cadets2. It's a 3 hour drive (though I don't own a car), and it should be a little cheaper and less time consuming with it being DCA weekend style.

I haven't signed up for the audition camp yet, but I did order the information packet/audition book just to get an idea, so I can't wait to get it.

But what should I expect at these auditions? Are they expecting as high caliber as someone auditioning for The Cadets? Or are they loosing up just a bit to provide more opportunity to more people with it being DCA. I know it won't be easy no matter what, and I feel pretty confident, but I'm just not sure what everyone is expecting out of this, with it being new.

Also, I'm going to have issues getting a ride there every weekend, and definitely money concerns. That's something I shouldn't worry about until I actually get in first.

I'm 18 and in my first semester of college. I would just like to be able to do Drum Corps before I get too old and regret not doing it. I'm also a Trumpet player by the way.

It's something I really want to do, and I want an idea of what to expect.

Auditions:

My first suggestion would be to contact them or search out their website for audition details. They are the only people who will know what is required and what you can expect. All of the details are normally provided and actually need to be especially if they require a prepared piece.

Transportation:

You may find that there are more people from your area auditioning and participating in their corps. Within most corps, you can usually find people to carpool with.

Doing it:

The last and most important point I would like to make is DO IT! And, YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD FOR DRUM CORPS! If you dont make C2, or if you do and march with them beyond their age limits, there are many other DCA corps that are all-age that you can march with. That is the beauty of the all age activity, you can march until your body can no longer do what is being required of the performer. Right now you are 18 and you have many great drum corps years ahead of you. Join in the fun, and enjoy!

Every year around this time, I've been feeling the urge to do drum corps in some kind of form. I just want more "marching band/drum corp" to do. I live in Maryland, so there isn't anything DCA or DCI around here at all.

After looking at several corps, I'm looking at Cadets2. It's a 3 hour drive (though I don't own a car), and it should be a little cheaper and less time consuming with it being DCA weekend style.

I haven't signed up for the audition camp yet, but I did order the information packet/audition book just to get an idea, so I can't wait to get it.

But what should I expect at these auditions? Are they expecting as high caliber as someone auditioning for The Cadets? Or are they loosing up just a bit to provide more opportunity to more people with it being DCA. I know it won't be easy no matter what, and I feel pretty confident, but I'm just not sure what everyone is expecting out of this, with it being new.

Also, I'm going to have issues getting a ride there every weekend, and definitely money concerns. That's something I shouldn't worry about until I actually get in first.

as someone still on a DCI staff I can tell you its a problem with young people....not saying you are 1 of them but if you go in prepared you will impress them more even if there are more talented people who havent come ready in all areas.............................Sorry if it sounds all adult and lecture sounding, I'm sure you will get all the warm and fuzzy from others I'm just offering REALITY...AGAIN BEST OF LUCK

I'm 18 and in my first semester of college. I would just like to be able to do Drum Corps before I get too old and regret not doing it. I'm also a Trumpet player by the way.

wronggggggggg............this is the problem many corps and winter programs are facing because thats what many young people do......Figure your transportation and money issues out NOW.....if you wait it only gets worse...directors are getting bruned all over..especially WGI and DCI and getting smart finally to A young member with all good intentions and promises........figure how your going to do this 1st..................EVEN IF YOU HAVE LESS TALENT THAN ANOTHER YOU WILL IMPRESS them walking in prepared for everything .I know it sounds all adult and a lecture but As someone still within the DCI teaching arena you can get the warm and fuzzy from others , I would rather offer you REALITY....best of luck................hard lesson.... sometimes is we cant do everything we would like......just be prepared :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Where in Maryland are you located? FWIW, you can most likely find an easier commute (and a few potential car pools) if you look closer to home. If you're 3 hours from Allentown, I suspect you're not too far from the Baltimore area, yes? If that's the case, there are a few corps closer to you. Shenandoah Sound is about 20 minutes south of D.C. near Manassas, VA. Further north, you could take your pick between the Reading Buccaneers and Windsor Regiment. Both would presumably be closer to you than Allentown. Also, according to their announcements, Fusion Core is holding camps somewhere in the DE/MD area this winter.

GUARDLING is right. If you have your heart set on C2, then you should really be figuring out NOW how you'd be getting there EVERY weekend. It would be a waste of THEIR time and YOUR money if you were good enough to march, but had no transportation plan in store. If you just want to march and save money, I suggest looking at the other corps I mentioned and seeing where you might be able to carpool with someone.

Dangit Sayre, you beat me to the punch!

Edited by Percussion827

Wow.

Thanks a lot for the input. I actually didn't realize there were as many corps "close" by around. I'm going to do some research, but I'm glad I got choices.

I'll still see about Cadets2. The packets are being sent out next week, so I'll read through it.

But thanks again for the replies.

Edited by b2trumpet

Wow.

Thanks a lot for the input. I actually didn't realize there were as many corps "close" by around. I'm going to do some research, but I'm glad I got choices.

I'll still see about Cadets2. The packets are being sent out next week, so I'll read through it.

But thanks again for the replies.

Some have said it already.. that there are many people from your area who march. Some who also make the trek to Hawthorne. The Cabs have vans that come up from there and the Southeastern Pa area. So your choices are plenty. Good luck and hope you find the right choice for you.

Does anybody else feel bad for the origianl poster besides me.

The OP asked about Cadets 2 not any of the other drum corps that responded. I am sure that if someone from C2 would have posted in a seperate thread asking about a seperate drumcorps some of you would be up in arms. Please stop living in a double standard world.

To the original poster -

The director for the Cadets2 is Eric Kitherman. Here is his address Eric@yea.org

Hope this helps

Olive

• Like 2

Does anybody else feel bad for the origianl poster besides me.

The OP asked about Cadets 2 not any of the other drum corps that responded. I am sure that if someone from C2 would have posted in a seperate thread asking about a seperate drumcorps some of you would be up in arms. Please stop living in a double standard world.

To the original poster -

The director for the Cadets2 is Eric Kitherman. Here is his address Eric@yea.org

Hope this helps

Olive

*shrug* Maybe no one else knew the email addie so they helped what ever way they could.....

Hope OP makes a corps... any corps he/she wants....

Edited by JimF-LowBari