Cadets2 Auditions - What to expect?

*shrug* Maybe no one else knew the email addie so they helped what ever way they could.....

Hope OP makes a corps... any corps he/she wants....

Sometimes when I can't find something I use a search engine such as google, yahoo, bing or ask. I'm sure there are more.

I think people are afraid of Cadets2 and the offseason competition is rearing it's ugly head. :music:

Cheers!!!

Olive

• Like 1

Does anybody else feel bad for the origianl poster besides me.

The OP asked about Cadets 2 not any of the other drum corps that responded. I am sure that if someone from C2 would have posted in a seperate thread asking about a seperate drumcorps some of you would be up in arms. Please stop living in a double standard world.

To the original poster -

The director for the Cadets2 is Eric Kitherman. Here is his address Eric@yea.org

Hope this helps

Olive

I would agree with you if any of the responses were derogatory towards Cadets2, ,the responders were polite and just adding more information that the original poster may not be aware of. Nothing ever wrong with giving someone all the information out there, we are here to help one another and make it a strong circuit for all involved, right?

With that being said, to the originator of this thread, perhaps this will help in further research:

DCACORPS.ORG

• Like 1

I think people are afraid of Cadets2 and the offseason competition is rearing it's ugly head. :music:

Cheers!!!

Olive

Reading the other threads I'd agree that some are either afraid or just don't like the idea for whatever reason. But I know or at least have met some of the posters on this thread and don't think it's the case with them.

Personally I think C2 is going to make things more interesting.... hope I make DCA next year...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Every year around this time, I've been feeling the urge to do drum corps in some kind of form. I just want more "marching band/drum corp" to do. I live in Maryland, so there isn't anything DCA or DCI around here at all.

After looking at several corps, I'm looking at Cadets2. It's a 3 hour drive (though I don't own a car), and it should be a little cheaper and less time consuming with it being DCA weekend style.

I haven't signed up for the audition camp yet, but I did order the information packet/audition book just to get an idea, so I can't wait to get it.

But what should I expect at these auditions? Are they expecting as high caliber as someone auditioning for The Cadets? Or are they loosing up just a bit to provide more opportunity to more people with it being DCA. I know it won't be easy no matter what, and I feel pretty confident, but I'm just not sure what everyone is expecting out of this, with it being new.

Also, I'm going to have issues getting a ride there every weekend, and definitely money concerns. That's something I shouldn't worry about until I actually get in first.

I'm 18 and in my first semester of college. I would just like to be able to do Drum Corps before I get too old and regret not doing it. I'm also a Trumpet player by the way.

It's something I really want to do, and I want an idea of what to expect.

Not sure why so many here are getting their panties in a knot. Perhaps because they're not too keen on C2. Whatever.

Transportation is a problem but I suspect you'll be able to find a car pool. You'll probably need to share gas costs but there are probably going to be rides.

Money is a problem you're going to have to solve. Most corps will try to help you find the funds to march and work with you on payment plans to meet your specific needs. You won't know these details unless you ASK.

But the suggestion that you not even bother showing up unless you have all these questions answered ahead of time is dumb -- it's an AUDITION and you haven't even been offered a spot. Ask lots of questions and show up.

Sure you shouldn't ACCEPT a spot unless you've got money and transportation figured out.

My advice: contact Justin Heimbecker at justin@yea.org. He's listed as the contact on most of C2 press releases. He'll be able to answer your questions way better than DCP cool.gif

• Like 1

Additionally, it is hard to answer "what to expect" for a corps that is just starting it's 1st season. No one knows what exactly to expect, probably not even them as DCA is different than DCI.

• Like 1

Does anybody else feel bad for the origianl poster besides me.

The OP asked about Cadets 2 not any of the other drum corps that responded. I am sure that if someone from C2 would have posted in a seperate thread asking about a seperate drumcorps some of you would be up in arms. Please stop living in a double standard world.

Not sure why so many here are getting their panties in a knot. Perhaps because they're not too keen on C2. Whatever.

Nobody said anything disparaging about Cadets 2. As this is a forum - a place for public discussion - several of us wanted to HELP the OP by offering options he or she may not have already been aware of. The additional options presented were intended to help with the concerns that the OP had regarding transportation issues.

I can understand (given some of the other threads regarding C2) that one may perceive hostility, but please don't misread the advice already offered on this thread as anything more than what it is - advice offered to help the OP have a successful marching experience, regardless of where they march.

Best of luck finding a home in 2012, b2trumpet.

Edited by Sayre Kulp

Sorry Sayre.

I must have been thrown by the SUBJECT of the thread and the actual advice from you and others not being an answer to the SUBJECT of the thread.

Way to continue the hinderence of DCA's growth. Please don't respond to me without being more right.

Olive

Nobody said anything disparaging about Cadets 2. As this is a forum - a place for public discussion - several of us wanted to HELP the OP by offering options he or she may not have already been aware of. The additional options presented were intended to help with the concerns that the OP had regarding transportation issues.

I can understand (given some of the other threads regarding C2) that one may perceive hostility, but please don't misread the advice already offered on this thread as anything more than what it is - advice offered to help the OP have a successful marching experience, regardless of where they march.

Best of luck finding a home in 2012, b2trumpet.

• Like 1

Again, thanks for all the input guys.

The reason I asked for some Cadets2 information is that the website doesn't have as much detail about things compared to other corps websites. The C2 website is just like "Hey. We're Cadets2. Here's the audition dates and fees."

But there are some other people helping me out with some corps to join, and I'm even considering Raiders for DCI Open. A lot of the other corps I'm looking at seem to have good money support and carpool organization.

As far as Cadets2 goes, I ordered the audition packet already, and they are getting ready to send them out on the 10th. That should fill me in more.

So I'll work things out. I have a lot of choices to choose from (Cadets2, Raiders, Windsor, Bushwackers, Shenandoah Sound, and Buccaneers.) I'm just looking for a something good to start with so I get enough experience to possibly audition for World Class sometime.

And don't worry Olive. Yes, I was looking more for Cadets2 information, but seeing some other options isn't bad either, concerning money and transportation more then anything.

Edited by b2trumpet
  • Like 1

Where in Maryland are you located? FWIW, you can most likely find an easier commute (and a few potential car pools) if you look closer to home. If you're 3 hours from Allentown, I suspect you're not too far from the Baltimore area, yes? If that's the case, there are a few corps closer to you. Shenandoah Sound is about 20 minutes south of D.C. near Manassas, VA. Further north, you could take your pick between the Reading Buccaneers and Windsor Regiment. Both would presumably be closer to you than Allentown. Also, according to their announcements, Fusion Core is holding camps somewhere in the DE/MD area this winter.

GUARDLING is right. If you have your heart set on C2, then you should really be figuring out NOW how you'd be getting there EVERY weekend. It would be a waste of THEIR time and YOUR money if you were good enough to march, but had no transportation plan in store. If you just want to march and save money, I suggest looking at the other corps I mentioned and seeing where you might be able to carpool with someone.

All good points. That's why it's smart to consider ALL the costs. Tuition and fees are only the beginning. You need to factor in gas or contribution to gas and not just to practice. Not sure how C2 will work, but you may have to drive to a competition venue or parade since some corps won't use buses to all gigs to save money. Some competition sites will be farther than the commute to practice in Allentown so there will be some weekends it will be "more expensive"

You also need to figure in cost of food for the weekend. Corps will not supply your food and drink for the weekend. This isn't DCI where there will be a food truck going with you. I'm pretty sure Cadets only have one and it will be with them. There may be "some" food or snacks at certain times but figure on this as an out of pocket expense. My son existed on tuna fish sandwiches and lunch meat since he paid for his costs, and we tried to help with his tuition when we could.

You'll need a place to stay for the weekend rehearsals. Not to sway you, but some of the more established corps have alums that offer their homes to performing members to stay for weekends. With C2 there may be the possibility of staying with another performing member, but this is an aspect that the older DCA corps will have a better handle on and a support system.

Hope this helps and whatever you do enjoy the experience.

Edited by jkmummer