Plymouth Hometown concert

joefanalum

Yes, Andy: Woodmen's In-The Rough is still there, as well as The Village Restaurant (my favorite), Farnhams, and Periwinkles (formerly Skipper's Galley across the street from Woodmen's.) My paternal aunts and uncle drove from Andrews Point in Rockport to The Village Restaurant in Essex, not just for the food but also because Rockport was a "dry" town....

bar_ph_win.jpg

Fran: colloquially, oleo is short for oleomargarine. Old farts like me grew up calling it "oleo," pitying the people who used it instead of lightly salted creamery butter. (The stuff God intended to be served.)

Yes, Andy: Woodmen's In-The Rough is still there, as well as The Village Restaurant (my favorite), Farnhams, and Periwinkles (formerly Skipper's Galley across the street from Woodmen's.) My paternal aunts and uncle drove from Andrews Point in Rockport to The Village Restaurant in Essex, not just for the food but also because Rockport was a "dry" town....

bar_ph_win.jpg

Fran: colloquially, oleo is short for oleomargarine. Old farts like me grew up calling it "oleo," pitying the people who used it instead of lightly salted creamery butter. (The stuff God intended to be served.)

I'm happy to hear that Woodman's is still there. I've always liked the place for its ambiance (or lack thereof). Any restaurant that serves its steamed clams on a beer tray can't be all bad.

And Fran... Oleo is the chant used by the guards at the wicked witch's castle in Wizard of Oz. Remember?? O-le-o Oo-oooh O-le-o Oo-oooh

Actually, us old-timers remember that oleo came in a one-pound brick that was WHITE, looked like lard. Enclosed in the package was a small container of food coloring. My job was to mix the color into the oleo, thereby creating the impression of butter. I lost that job when the Germans and the Japanese surrendered.

Actually, us old-timers remember that oleo came in a one-pound brick that was WHITE, looked like lard. Enclosed in the package was a small container of food coloring.

Okay... NOW I remember oleo. I remember seeing that stuff... the white hunk of whatever it was with the food coloring... when I was a kid. Yuck.

Butter is definitely better.

Okay... NOW I remember oleo. I remember seeing that stuff... the white hunk of whatever it was with the food coloring... when I was a kid. Yuck.

Butter is definitely better.

I knew you'd remember it, Fran! Oleo was part of the rations you guys were issued during the Civil War.

Excuse me, but what's a popover? :unsure:

Oh my ... maybe I should popover and 'splain it to you Lucy ...

:innocent:

I knew you'd remember it, Fran! Oleo was part of the rations you guys were issued during the Civil War.

I must have missed you during that war.

I understand you were still recovering from battle fatigue suffered at Fort McHenry. :ph34r:

Popovers

I'm happy to hear that Woodman's is still there. I've always liked the place for its ambiance (or lack thereof). Any restaurant that serves its steamed clams on a beer tray can't be all bad.

And Fran... Oleo is the chant used by the guards at the wicked witch's castle in Wizard of Oz. Remember?? O-le-o Oo-oooh O-le-o Oo-oooh

Actually, us old-timers remember that oleo came in a one-pound brick that was WHITE, looked like lard. Enclosed in the package was a small container of food coloring. My job was to mix the color into the oleo, thereby creating the impression of butter. I lost that job when the Germans and the Japanese surrendered.

Actually, that "chant" has real words..listen closely the next time you watch the movie. I know this having marched several times in the Oz Fest parade in Chittenango, NY ( birth place of L.Frank Baum) and hearing it ad nauseum. Everyone, sing along! "Oh, we loathe the Old One, oh, we loathe the Old One!"

I must have missed you during that war.

I understand you were still recovering from battle fatigue suffered at Fort McHenry. :ph34r:

Fort McHenry?? Isn't that where that guy wrote that Spanish song, "Jose, Can You See?"