Should Scouts bring back Empire State of Mind next year?

Should Scouts bring back ESOM next year?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scouts bring back Empire State of Mind next year?

No. It wasn't that great the first time, and we've already been there, done that. Let's hear something new. Besides, listening to ESOM now just makes me angry because it reminds me of all the copyright crap that we have to deal with these days. Let it die.

• Like 3

No. It wasn't that great the first time, and we've already been there, done that. Let's hear something new. Besides, listening to ESOM now just makes me angry because it reminds me of all the copyright crap that we have to deal with these days. Let it die.

I agree there's no reason for the Scouts to play it again during their show next year but you couldn't be more wrong to say it wasn't that great the first time. It was the single best moment from any corps last season by far. :thumbup: Every crowd from every performance last season proves that. I would love to hear it played as an encore for sure.

• Like 1

I agree there's no reason for the Scouts to play it again during their show next year but you couldn't be more wrong to say it wasn't that great the first time. It was the single best moment from any corps last season by far. :thumbup: Every crowd from every performance last season proves that. I would love to hear it played as an encore for sure.

Well, that's a bit of a stretch, don't you think? What might be a great moment for one person, won't be the same for someone else. Me? While it was a great performance, It wasn't the "single best moment" for me by far. Bringing it back as an encore would work, but IMO, don't bring it back as part of the show.

• Like 1

Well, that's a bit of a stretch, don't you think? What might be a great moment for one person, won't be the same for someone else. Me? While it was a great performance, It wasn't the "single best moment" for me by far. Bringing it back as an encore would work, but IMO, don't bring it back as part of the show.

Nope! Not a stretch at all. There were a few wow moments from other corps but nobody got the crowd going like the Scouts did during their closer.

• Like 2

Nope! Not a stretch at all. There were a few wow moments from other corps but nobody got the crowd going like the Scouts did during their closer.

And again, your opinion.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

And again, your opinion. Which is fine. Myself, and by the looks of the poll, others feel differently.

Hmmmm. I'm pretty sure the poll asks if ESOM should be brought back next year, not if it brought the best crowd response from last season, which I also believe it did, and deservingly so.

• Like 1

Hmmmm. I'm pretty sure the poll asks if ESOM should be brought back next year, not if it brought the best crowd response from last season, which I also believe it did, and deservingly so.

Fine... Fixed

Edited by skajerk

* Note: I deliberately made the poll a forced choice Yes/No so we can eliminate the meaningless responses of "who cares" some posters feel a need to express.

+++

Back in the good 'ol days, corps routinely brought back their best song from the year before, but today that is unheard of. The Scouts 2011 production of Empire State of Mind has gained the kind of rabid crowd reaction not seen in a long time.

Assuming the copyrights could be obtained, should the Scouts be innovators and play this one again next year? Please tell us why, or why not?

No,.. the closer " Empire State of Mind " played in a theme that the music does not fit could be an unmitigated disaster. Years ago, ( before man walked upright ) Corps could play music year in and year out primarily because there were no themes to shows. Now with show themes, it just would not work. For example, what if Madison's show theme this year was on " Day in the life of a Bullfighter... or " The Cossack Brotherhood ",etc how then would the music closer of " Empire State of Mind " closer work ? The only way it works design wise is to bring back the theme. Absent that, use it in an encore perhaps. Otherwise, no can do.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I don't remember it quite that way. Even putting aside the top three, Phantom and Crown surely rated among the biggest ovations at all the shows I attended. Not saying Madison or ESOM weren't well liked. Just saying it's an exaggeration to suggest they were liked best or that no one else compared.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 2

I don't remember it quite that way. Even putting aside the top three, Phantom and Crown surely rated among the biggest ovations at all the shows I attended. Not saying Madison or ESOM weren't well liked. Just saying it's an exaggeration to suggest they were liked best or that no one else compared.

HH

Agree.

Crown had the audience clapping before they even entered the field and pretty much had them in the "palm of their hand" the entire show.

Phantom got a huge response -- (even if it was more about nostalgia then excellence).

I think even one or two fans made some noise for the Cadets.

And while playing the 9-11 card certainly worked well for Madison, it was not the "overwhelming crowd favorite" the entire season. That's just more "Red-Button-Brigade" hype sleeping.gif

• Like 2