Blue Stars Brass Staff

The Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps is pleased to announce Tom Santino as Brass Supervisor and Ryan Mohney as Brass Caption Head for the 2012 season. Tom Santino is no stranger to the drum corps activity, instructing some of the top brass lines in the activity over the past 20 plus seasons, and he will take an active role in managing the Blue Stars brass program in 2012. Ryan Mohney is being promoted to brass caption head after his knowledge, enthusiasm and exceptional instructional abilities were clearly demonstrated as the corps' 2011 trumpet instructor."The team of Tom Santino and Ryan Mohney bring a powerful combination of experience and enthusiasm to the Blue Stars 2012 brass program," said Executive Director Brad Furlano. "We have a history of outstanding brass programs at the Blue Stars, and I have no doubt Tom and Ryan will continue that momentum for the upcoming season and beyond."

Tom Santino

Tom Santino also has an extensive background in the drum and bugle corps activity. He performed in The Florida Wave, The Suncoast Sound, and The Blue Devils. Santino's instructional experience in drum corps began in 1990 as a brass instructor with The Magic of Orlando, and includes additional stops on the brass staffs of The Blue Devils, Syracuse Brigadiers, and Boston Crusaders. Tom was the brass caption head for the Boston Crusaders from 1998 to 2001, and 2005 to 2006. Tom currently serves as a clinician and adjudicator with many educational organizations throughout the United States.

Santino received his Bachelor's Degree in Music Education from the University of South Florida and his Master's Degree in Educational Leadership from Nova Southeastern University. Tom's teaching career began as the founding Director of Bands at G. Holmes Braddock Sr. High School in Miami Florida and includes teaching stops at Indian Ridge Middle School in Davie, Florida and Flanagan High School in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Tom is currently an Assistant Principal at McArthur High School in Hollywood, Florida.

"I am thrilled to have Tom Santino on our Brass Instructional Team," said Corps Director Howard Weinstein. "He brings a wealth of experience and musicianship to our program, and he is certainly no stranger to the fields of Drum Corps International. I am confident his expertise and instructional background will help take our brass program to the next level."

"Over the past few years I have greatly admired the role the Blue Stars has played in moving the activity forward," said Santino. "I am truly fortunate to join the Blue Stars team and I am really looking forward to the upcoming 2012 season! "

Ryan Mohney

Ryan Mohney was the Blue Stars' trumpet technician during the 2011 season before being promoted to brass caption head for 2012. He received his Bachelor's Degree in Music Education from Miami University in Ohio and is currently pursuing his Masters of Music in Wind Conducting at the University of Houston. Mohney is a member of the 36th Infantry Division National Guard Band stationed in Austin, Texas. Ryan is a former member of the Bluecoats and has instructed at Centerville High School, Vandalia High School and Lincolnview High School, among other marching band programs.

"I am extremely excited to lead the Blue Stars' brass program in 2012," said Mohney. "Working with Frank and the entire team last season was a tremendous learning experience, and I'm anxious to build on that success in the future. We are assembling a team of exceptional educators and are looking forward to taking the brass program to new heights this season."

"Ryan Mohney's dynamic personality and relentless pursuit of excellence will be a great addition to our caption head team at the Blue Stars," said Corps Director Howard Weinstein. "His energetic and positive approach to instruction was introduced to our students last season and we're extremely excited to see how our brass program can grow under his guidance."

"Ryan is a talented musician and educator," said Blue Stars Brass Arranger and Composer Frank Sullivan. "His drive to teach and motivate young performers is outstanding, and he will be a great leader for the brass program at the Blue Stars."

With most of the main staff at Blue Stars returning in some sorts or another (including Sullivan from caption head/arranger to solely arranger) it looks like they are keeping certain aspects consistent for next year.

Thoughts?

Edited by MarchandPlay
  • Like 2

Be interesting to see what they do on visual (both drill design and visual staff), a weakness of the corps for awhile on the sheets. Design wise id like to see less reliance on props, and maybe a bit less drill-wise so the show peaks in august instead of september.

As far as these announcements, dont know enough about either name, but another boston guy i see....

• Like 1

Tommy will do a fantastic job taking the Blue Stars' brass line to the next level.

Tom Santino is fantastic educator, but his lines at Boston weren't the strongest...

• Like 1

Be interesting to see what they do on visual (both drill design and visual staff), a weakness of the corps for awhile on the sheets. Design wise id like to see less reliance on props, and maybe a bit less drill-wise so the show peaks in august instead of september.

As far as these announcements, dont know enough about either name, but another boston guy i see....

I agree, I would love to see them get a new drill writer(not that Kevin Ford is doing them a disservice, but to get a change in drill design for them), and have a visual staff that will push them to the next level. Their playing has been fine, now all they need is a more refined visual and great things could happen.

I also don't know much about the two guys, but as far as I can tell they seem like good choices.

Oh, I also hope last year helped them learn that props might not always be the best route to choose (not to say that they never work, but certain aspects of props do not).

Edited by MarchandPlay
  • Like 4

[/color]

With most of the main staff at Blue Stars returning in some sorts or another (including Sullivan from caption head/arranger to solely arranger) it looks like they are keeping certain aspects consistent for next year.

Thoughts?

I'm sure that the two will be fine. Actually, I know nothing about them, but it looks like their brass playing approach will change from before. Do these guys "breathe dah"?

As long as they don't use as much synth they can only get better :thumbup:

I really enjoyed their use of synth and synth effects last year. It was very creative and blended well. The problem was with pit/electronics balance within the overall ensemble.

• Like 1

or sewing tables.

Just props in general. I really hope the props on a massive level are not something that continues to be a part of the Blue Stars shows.

• Like 1