Blue Stars Brass Staff

with the loss of sullivan and murphy in head positions it will be difficult for them...

do not like :huh2:

haven't heard of these names before...

The brass has been their most consistent caption since their return to WC in 2006. A major change in the touring brass staff like this is liable to cause a huge turnover in membership in their brass line. Between that, and the larger than normal number of age-outs last year, they could be in for a rebuilding year.

If it weren't for the "Tarponization" of the staff the Blue Stars wouldn't be a finalist corps. Just like Boston starting in 99 the staff which has a lot of the same faces molded both corps which other wise would be mid teen corps into finalist. Santino is awesome... not only a great instructor but a great person as well.. I wish the Blue Stars lots of luck this coming year.

I wouldnt say that. BStars were well on their way to getting to finals before that. Hell, Howard signed on for 09, after they made finals. They were in the hunt for the 12th spot much of the 07 season. From 06-08 a good chunk of the staff was a Star of Indiana reunion tour. And the placements speak for themselves at boston. They hit their high and fell off. So far since Weinstein took over as corps director at BStars, theyve stagnated at 8th for 2 years and then dropped to 11th. Not exactly thrilling results considering the momentum that the corps had going.

The brass has been their most consistent caption since their return to WC in 2006. A major change in the touring brass staff like this is liable to cause a huge turnover in membership in their brass line. Between that, and the larger than normal number of age-outs last year, they could be in for a rebuilding year.

This would be my main concern. Brass has been the most consistent strength as theyve grown. I will agree with Marchandplay in hoping they dont make a huge change to things in the brass dept with this change in caption head. The weakest areas have (over that period) been percussion (though the additions (aungst\larrivee) in that area in the last couple years are definitely paying off), and visual, especially execution-wise, and a part of that is due to them being given more than they can handle drill-wise by finals it often seems.

BozzlyB, on 11 October 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

Very few corps have used props to the degree Blue Stars have in the last three years.

This. The Cadets learned their lesson with props, voice, and electronics overload and look where they ended up. :thumbup::worthy:

Short N Sour, you and BozzlyB are two peas in a pod. For being such Blue Stars "supporters", you both throw around so much bogus rhetoric it is laughable.

Go back and read your post history(s) regarding Blue Stars. You guys are the poster childs for fair-weather fans.

Your comments on props are hilarious. You slam them for props yet you praise the CHAMPION Blue Devils that use lots of----ummmm----wait for it----PROPS! (To great effect I might add)

Alex L, you are completely misguided in saying that the Blue Stars were well on their way to making finals before the "Tarponization" of the corps. Wrong. The reason the Blue Stars went from 14th in 2007 to 8th in 2008 was because Brad Furlano hired Michael Shapiro and Kevin Ford to head up the visual design. Before that, it was 2 years in 14th, and your statement of stagnation regarding Howard et all is very similar to 2006 and 2007 Blue Stars.

The bottom line:

Drum Corps needs variety. Drum Corps needs people who take chances. Drum Corps needs corps who evolve. Drum Corps needs variety. Drum Corps needs variety. Drum Corps needs variety. Get it?

Blue Stars have taken big risks. All of which have been noteworthy. Have all risks been competitively successful? No. But thank goodness that they have an identity. Thank goodness they have a vision.

By the way, have you watched "Tarponization" from BOA finals last year? I challenge you to find a more captivating and thoroughly coordinated product. I, for one, as an alumni, would be proud to have that team as a part of my drum corps. But that's just me.

Edited by corpssaavy
  • Like 2

Why do you think there is a major change in the touring brass staff? I read that one new person has been brought in and the caption head was promoted from within. Frank Sullivan is still arranging. He was not brass caption head his first few years with the corps. Maybe he filled in as caption head simply to fill a void for a couple of years. The other techs that tour with the corps may be many of the same group from last year. I cannot see this change causing a big ripple among the membership.

As far as age outs, I am not sure the Blue Stars experienced any more than usual. I thought the 2011 line was made up of quite a few first year people.

The staff changes I have seen the Blue Stars make over the last five or so years always seemed to lead to a stronger corps. I think 2011 was an anomaly, caused by a show design that did not quite work. I think we will see an improved Blue Stars in 2012. Looking forward to it.

BozzlyB, on 11 October 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

Alex L, you are completely misguided in saying that the Blue Stars were well on their way to making finals before the "Tarponization" of the corps. Wrong. The reason the Blue Stars went from 14th in 2007 to 8th in 2008 was because Brad Furlano hired Michael Shapiro and Kevin Ford to head up the visual design. Before that, it was 2 years in 14th, and your statement of stagnation regarding Howard et all is very similar to 2006 and 2007 Blue Stars.

I dont think Alex L was talking about the "tarponziation". I think he was specifically talking about the "bostonization. Which didnt begin until 2009 when Weinstein took over. Since then, a large number of the visual staff has come from Boston. Thats not a knock on Boston at all, but Alex makes a great point on how Boston sort of topped out under Weinsteins direction, and i fear the same for the stars. That is not to say that he hasnt done great things for both organizations, but imo, some people can only take you so far. If you want your corps to make it into finals than Howard is your guy, but if your looking for a top 4 spot, maybe not. Kind of harsh I know, but it is what it is.

As fo the new brass staff, I have only heard great things about Mohney. As for Santino, I really do not know anything about him, but i doubt that with his experience, you will see any sort of drop off in membership or quality of sound. Heres to hoping for the best!

I dont think Alex L was talking about the "tarponziation". I think he was specifically talking about the "bostonization. Which didnt begin until 2009 when Weinstein took over. Since then, a large number of the visual staff has come from Boston. Thats not a knock on Boston at all, but Alex makes a great point on how Boston sort of topped out under Weinsteins direction, and i fear the same for the stars. That is not to say that he hasnt done great things for both organizations, but imo, some people can only take you so far. If you want your corps to make it into finals than Howard is your guy, but if your looking for a top 4 spot, maybe not. Kind of harsh I know, but it is what it is.

As fo the new brass staff, I have only heard great things about Mohney. As for Santino, I really do not know anything about him, but i doubt that with his experience, you will see any sort of drop off in membership or quality of sound. Heres to hoping for the best!

What is funny is that many people talk about how Boston hit a plateau with Howard W. Howard W is the single reason Boston is on the map even today. Let's not forget that before Howard, they lived in semifinals purgatory. Howard did what so many could not. He made Boston relevant. He created a completely new identity. It was brilliant. Yeah, they hit a plateau----5th place 2x!!!!!!

Edited by corpssaavy

What is funny is that many people talk about Boston hit a plateau with Howard W. Howard W is the single reason Boston is on the map even today. Let's not forget that before Howard, they lived in semifinals purgatory. Howard did what so many could not. He made Boston relevant. He created a completely new identity. It was brilliant. Yeah, they hit a plateau----5th place 2x!!!!!!

exactly my point. he put boston on the map, and helped sustain stars for a couple years. Maybe thats what he is best at, is making corps into finalists.

Thanks for putting what i was trying to say better. Pretty much exactly what i meant.

Edited by AlexL