A 2nd Edit for Crown DVD?

What I'm worried about the most reading this thread is the fact that Boo's posts are getting neg'd! Can't say I've ever seen that before! :huh:

It's an attempt to keep me humble. If only if was for something controversial, like my support for extra-terrestials to be given voting rights.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen Crown at Semis, I saw the bass come out where the guitar had been the night before and I leaned over and said to my wife "it won't break". You stand a better chance of breaking a 2 x 6.

Oh...You thought I wasn't being serious? :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

PS: Does no one understand my sense of humor and whimsy anymore?

I got that you were joking... my point was that a design staff could lift your "humorous" explanation (or one just like it) and use it completely seriously. What you posted is obviously ridiculous (in a funny way), but it is honestly not any more ridiculous than some of the stuff we heard when DCI had the corps rep in the box at one of the regionals a couple years ago (which was AWESOME and DCI should absolutely do that again if they can)

when DCI had the corps rep in the box at one of the regionals a couple years ago (which was AWESOME and DCI should absolutely do that again if they can)

I 100% agree with this. I was bummed that DCI hadn't done that in the few seasons since, and I'm hoping that they are able to do it again in the future. I'm sure it's extremely difficult to get designers to sit down for 10 minutes to analyze their show in great detail (or, maybe difficult for them to do it for the record).

I got that you were joking... my point was that a design staff could lift your "humorous" explanation (or one just like it) and use it completely seriously. What you posted is obviously ridiculous (in a funny way), but it is honestly not any more ridiculous than some of the stuff we heard when DCI had the corps rep in the box at one of the regionals a couple years ago (which was AWESOME and DCI should absolutely do that again if they can)

I agree regarding the stuff we've heard in the past from some corps representatives, which is why it was so refreshing to hear Marc Sylvester during that broadcast to which you referred. He cut right to the chase and said there was nothing deep about the show, adding observations about things that weren't working and admonitions like, "Get in line or I'll kill you."

I won't mention who it was, but in Allentown, I was interviewing someone from each corps about their show to have something for my three live blogs in Indianapolis. (By the way, Phantom Regiment's Dr. Dan Richardson and Cadets' George Hopkins are truly awesome when it comes to talking about their shows. There are more that are really enlightening and very good, but I really remember their candor and observations.) Anyhow, one of the people I was interviewing was talking about their show in terms I would expect to hear in a doctorate-level lecture on existential paradigm shifts in Third World sugar beet production for ceremonial religious death rituals. I looked at them and exclaimed, "What the Hell are you talking about?" I was embarrassed others in the area heard my outburst, and even more embarrassed that they laughed loud enough to be heard.

And that's what I was thinking about when I wrote the description of the non-breaking of Crown's guitar at the end. (And no, what I wrote above was not in reference to anything the Crown rep said to me. And that's as much as I'll say about this. And I should add I really, really like and respect the person who inspired my reaction.)

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 3

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think breaking a musical instrument added anything to the show. OK - If they had broken a bassoon or something I could understand but that wouldn't have gone with the "RACH" theme.

• Like 2

Perhaps you're over-analyzing it: all you have to do is look at the disappointment on Herbert's face during the corps exit off the field. He even looks as if he was telling a member that it wouldn't break.

Of course! In addition to all his other talents, Herbert is a great actor.

I vote for a split screen: semifinals Herbert succeeding on the right and finals Herbert failing on the left.