Parents and children marching together in a championship season

I saw something today which made me think of this and how many times this may have happened. I was very fortunate to march with my son in 2 championships years (1992,1993 Bushwackers). Being on the field with your kid is a great experience no matter where you place but how many of you out there have had the unique experience of sharing a championship title with them.

• Like 1

My wife and daughter marched 07 and 09 with the Buccaneers, in the same section and in some cases, side by side during the show. Those were two of the best summers of MY life.

• Like 1

I was always surrounded by family in drum corps but never had the good fortune to win a dca championship myself... However, I still think that my daughter Sara and her husband Ted Mascari (Empire percussion arranger) had what was almost certainly the greatest family achievement in DCA history when Sara performed for the Brigadiers and Ted was the 2nd drum major for the Empire Statesmen in 1997 in Allentown PA - They tied for the DCA Championship...

In honor of the tie, they were allowed to break ranks and meet and kiss on the 50 yard line ... two rings ... same night ... two different corps

who'd a thunk it possible?

with current systems designed to avoid ties - that may never happen again.

• Like 3

My son and I marched in championships together with Bucs in 05, 06, 07, 08, and 09. Marched with my now daughter-in-law the same 5 years.

Edited by bandmanwalt
  • Like 2

My son and I marched in championships together with Bucs in 05, 06, 07, 08, and 09. Marched with my now daughter-in-law the same 5 years.

Walter old friend... that's a record that will never be broken...

In 2011 Minnesota Brass had a father/daughter and father/son 'team' on the field for championships. We also had two husband/wife teams, one brother/sister and one sister/sister team performing as well. Those numbers limit my count to just the folks were actually performing on the field. There were too many couples to count where one member of family was on the field and the other was busy on the instructional or support staff. :-)

Eric

Edited by Eric Molho
  • Like 1

i never marched and won a championship but i consider being able to march with my dad 97-99 and my brother 98,99,02 one of the greatest things i have ever down..it's an amazing experience being able to march with your actual family..the whole corps always will be my family. One thing i will never forget as well is the first year i marched in 97 with my dad. he marched previously with the Jr. Buccaneers and 1 year with the Brookhaven crusaders. back then he didn't know how to read music..was never taught to him. i taught him the basics in 97 and it was so great being able to help him get into the corps he always wanted to march in. he was in the cymbal line for three years and 98 and 99 were some good ones..along with the bucs cymbal line since. such a great experience being part of a great organization. i hope one day i will be able to march with my kids as well..long time to go and a lot can happen..but if they would march bucs they would be 4th generation...has that ever been done?

My dad and I marched together from 2001-2007 including the 2002 Class A Championship year with the Skyliners.

• Like 1

Great stories and wonderful experriences.

Thanks fr sharing

Kevin