Best Marching Shoes

What's the best rehearsal shoe. I remember it being New Balance a couple years back. Has anything changed on the best rehearsal shoe?

How about performance shoes? Dinkles? Anything else people are using with success?

Jusgt curious because it's been awhile and perhaps new technologies have emerged and it's...

October and...

I'm tired of talking about DCI's restructuring and whether oboes or concert french horns would be beautiful when a microphone is added to their performance...with a drum corps.

So, yeah, it's October...the silly season in drum corps...so let's talk shoes. It might even benefit a potential new member or two. And if you have images to go along with your choices and best sources of where to get the shoes for the best prices...any deals, etc.

Not every shoe will be best for every individual. One thing that IS essential is being fitted for a shoe professionally at a store. I was fitted before my first season and as it turns out, I'd be wearing the wrong shoe for many years. Now I know my exact size (I have wide feet) and though it's a pain in the butt, I'm able to find a shoe that fits and supports me through athletic activity.

I prefer New Balance. Their wide sizes are a good fit for me. Nike always fit terribly because their standard sizes tend to run narrow.

As for performance shoes, I LOVED my Vipers. They had flexibility and were durable. The only thing I think they lacked by design was arch support so while grass/turf felt fine, vis. warm up in the lot hurt much more.

• Like 1

I've always worn Asics with Superfeet insoles which have suited me fine. The key is to bring two pairs of shoes on tour so one pair won't get worn out (or to have a dry pair if you get stuck rehearsing in the rain/mud - which happens quite frequently...)

As far as performance shoes, I have only marched in Vipers. It SUCKS breaking them in, but once you do they are incredible. I actually put insoles in my Vipers as well, which gave me more support during show warm-ups.

What's the best rehearsal shoe. I remember it being New Balance a couple years back. Has anything changed on the best rehearsal shoe?

How about performance shoes? Dinkles? Anything else people are using with success?

Jusgt curious because it's been awhile and perhaps new technologies have emerged and it's...

October and...

I'm tired of talking about DCI's restructuring and whether oboes or concert french horns would be beautiful when a microphone is added to their performance...with a drum corps.

So, yeah, it's October...the silly season in drum corps...so let's talk shoes. It might even benefit a potential new member or two. And if you have images to go along with your choices and best sources of where to get the shoes for the best prices...any deals, etc.

I was always a fan of my New Balances. I've had about 10 pairs of them over the years, and they always supported really well. I have to agree though, that more important than the shoe itself is that the shoe fits the marcher. That's the most important thing. Nothing encourages blisters like a shoe that's too big in a couple of places, and a 4 hour rehearsal block with shoes that are too small is a special kind of pain.

And I don't care who you are, or how good the player is. Oboes outside are bad.oboes,

Edited by actucker

I was always a fan of my New Balances. I've had about 10 pairs of them over the years, and they always supported really well. I have to agree though, that more important than the shoe itself is that the shoe fits the marcher.

Have a couple of arthritic toes (two operations) and need a shoe with the larger shoe box or it feels like the toe joints are being squeezed or rubbed against. NBs carry a shoe like this that works for me but have had to order them from the hole in the wall Foot Locker as they usually don't have them in stock. Usually live in these shoes until the snow gets too high....

As for the shoes I wear with my uni, don't know of any :tongue: that aren't in the standard cut so it's bunch of Ibuprofin and suffer. :thumbdown:

OT: Only found out a few months ago that Dinkles is made in Mt Joy, PA (where?). Westview, OH has got to be bigger.... Wonder if they're near where our nephew works at the Sporting Goods Supply place (there's a pairing marching shoes and guns/archery equipment/etc).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Best performing shoes are Vipers or MTX. The Vipers are great for a straight-leg technique, but the MTX's have much more support for the bent-leg marcher. And those things are insanely durable. I'm still using mine for college band three years later.

Rehearsal shoes seem to be a very personal preference. I wore New Balance for my first two years, then switched to Asics. The Asics were great, and really helped both my technique and posture, and were much lighter. I'm looking at a few options for next year, looking at really lightweight shoes to march in.

Best performing shoes are Vipers or MTX. The Vipers are great for a straight-leg technique, but the MTX's have much more support for the bent-leg marcher. And those things are insanely durable. I'm still using mine for college band three years later.

Definitely was going to say this. If you marching any sort of bent knee those MTXs will bend just the way you need to. Vipers are killer for straight-leg, especially jazz running.

I agree with what everyone has been saying. I've used MTXs and Vipers with the straight leg technique and I actually didn't mind either once they were broken in.

As for rehearsals, I've used NB and Asics and I like them both. I tend to bring my pair of shows from the previous year to serve as my extra/rain day shoes. I'm not sure what I'm going to use this year but they have to be comfortable for you and allow you to be able to do crazy things.