So do you sleep upright or lying down?

<snip>I've always thought about if someone were to bring a hammock and hang it across the aisle... Would that work?

Yes, it's possible to fit as many as three hammocks criss-crossing the isle :innocent:

Oh, and this is only recommended for folks who don't get sea sick, as the hammock will gently sway as the bus progresses down the road.

Edited by CuriousMe

I got more sleep the entire summer in a cold charter bus seat than I did in a sleeping bag on the gym floor. That's right, no Aero-bed.

• Like 1

My wife Krista and I were talking about my experiences BITD and said I spent a couple of Friday and Saturday nights sleeping on the bus on "long" (for Sr corps standards) trips. She then asked how do the Jr corps do it on tour and of course I don't have a flippin' clue.

So what is it like on tour, sleeping wise? Are most nights spent sleeping on the bus while going somewhere or are there times when you're not doing the 60MPH snooze. And are the indoor arrangements just sleeping bags on the floor or are things differently?

Yeah tis the off season and another month or so until DVDs arrive..... :shutup:

I am short so I nearly always let my taller brethren take the floor spots. But, I still have nightmares about the last time I did get a floor spot. I had a blanket of some kind and squeezed in amongst the others. Somehow, in my sleep, my head ended up underneath a seat with my chin up against the foot rest. My legs were wedged underneath a fat guy. And my arms were tangled up in the blanket, immobilized and completely asleep.

It was so dark, that I really could not initially tell what direction I was even facing. It was a "SAW" level of terror for a few seconds before I got my wits about me to process how to get myself untangled without breaking my neck.

From that point on I was a purely upright sleeper. It had been 20 years since I aged out but this is still in my arsenal of recurring nightmares. Maybe once a year I have it still.

And thanks for reminding me. I will probably have that nightmare tonight now. ;)

I was fortunate enough to have the rare double seat every year I marched. Generally I would let someone else use the other seat and I would cozy up with a pillow on a window. But there were a couple nights I would take both seats and prop my feet up against the arm rest across the aisle.

I fall asleep fast and hard so I've been fine with almost any sleeping situation.

Luckily, I was dating my seat partner for 2 of my 3 years in the Jr. circuit, (yes, the same girl) so we had no problems. In the Dons, I had a seat all to myself. Ahhh, the advantages of being a vet!

To this day, thanks to those 3 pre-aerobed years, I can sleep in just about any position in a seat or on the floor :cool:

And yes, hammocks work.

LOL, my OP was directed towards how many nights do you sleep on the bus (upright) as compared to sleeping in a real building (lying down).

But as DCP threads usually go this went a different direction... and this direction is a hoot.....

Carry on....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

On the bus I slept on the floor under the seat and into the aisle. Pillow and a blanket was all I needed. Soon as I was in the gym, I pumped up my air mattress though.