Did you march your age out?

Nope, I didn't march until I aged out. I just ran out of money and had to pay for my own college. I would have done it, but, eating was becoming a real problem. (I marched my final tour with $20 and a box of generic canned spaghetti. I still get chills when I see white and black cans. I lost 20 pounds that year.)

I wish I could have done my final two years and marched out with the rest of the friends I met during my six years. :sad:

I wanted to age out with Troopers or Santa Clara Vanguard. I didn't get there. I ran out of money. I taught guard during the winter to offset my $10 a week room and board while at University. Ponderosa had all you can eat on Tuesdays for $2.50, campus had $1.50 fresh spaghetti dinner Wednesdays and on Friday I'd go by bus to Toronto. Mom made me meals and back to Kitchener by Sunday eve. I ended up marching my age out year with Oakland Crusaders as a spare flag while as an instructor with Dutch Boy Cadets. To this day, friends ask me why I didn't march with Seneca Optimists, many of whom were my friends? Alberta All Girls colors were orange and white. I get chills when I see Cheeze Wiz :wink:

edit: aged out in 76 legally.

Edited by lindap

Chalk me up as one who marched his age out year. In retrospect I wish I hadn't, and not because of final placement. All the shows, all the accomplishments that year etc., etc., yet it was overshadowed by a marching instructor spiraling way out of control, especially during Finals Week. At least the '86 & subsequent MMs didn't have to deal with him, as he was not welcomed back.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I marched my rook-out year with the Colts. I'm definitely glad I didn't pass up the opportunity to at least march corps once. It's very bitter sweet though, being a rook-out. I wish I could go back and experience being with my family again, but at least I got to participate and make memories while I could.

• Like 2

Yes, I marched my rook-out year with the Colts. I'm definitely glad I didn't pass up the opportunity to at least march corps once. It's very bitter sweet though, being a rook-out. I wish I could go back and experience being with my family again, but at least I got to participate and make memories while I could.

Preach it, Brother!! That's pretty much how I feel....ring or not. 1 year was NOT enough.

Preach it, Brother!! That's pretty much how I feel....ring or not. 1 year was NOT enough.

Even two wasn't enough for me!

I did age out with the corps I started with, and the two years I was there were wonderful.

The regret I have/had was I didn't start sooner. I joined my rookie year in June right after my 20th birthday. I was a sax player and looked at DCI as something unreachable because of the travel/time/money/learning a brass horn. But I'm so glad I got the years I did out of my body.

I was going to write this same exact post, except for inserting BAC for Colts.

edit: aged out in 76 legally.

Ha; this reminded me of a funny story. I know of a few people who aged-out of DCI twice in the late 80's/early 90's: they aged-out of two different finalist corps. Essentially they aged-out, and then marched an extra year or two by fudging their ages.