whats wrong with BOA?

While I feel this conversation has mostly evolved into an argument of semantics, I will point out FWIW that I teach in a district where there have been several (more than a couple) kids who have either moved into the district for the music education/band experience, or have even transferred from one school to another in the same district. There have also been multiple students/families who "exaggerated" their living address in order to comply with boundary policy to attend a specific school for the music program.

Yes, our district has great schools in general which helps the decision making for the parents: but I know for a fact at least a half dozen families I can think of off the top of my head who transferred to a school in our district solely because of the music program. I have to believe this isn't uncommon, and that there are plenty of other schools with great/better music programs than ours who experience similar phenomena with families moving into a district because of music.

I'll file this under "What I learned today" thanks. In my area some schools are definitely better than others. But none of the music programs are that great that they are that far above anyone else. At least none that I have heard of from the people I work with (and that's about 5 counties worth of SDs represented) Off the top of my head the "exaggerated" living addresses were for scholastics (IOW - not in the city) or athletics (chasing a title of Scholarship).

LOL - or the case of my one college room mate who had a mailing address at his grandmothers house. We went to a state school so he saved about half his tuition (and he's a lawyer now).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'll file this under "What I learned today" thanks. In my area some schools are definitely better than others. But none of the music programs are that great that they are that far above anyone else. At least none that I have heard of from the people I work with (and that's about 5 counties worth of SDs represented) Off the top of my head the "exaggerated" living addresses were for scholastics (IOW - not in the city) or athletics (chasing a title of Scholarship).

LOL - or the case of my one college room mate who had a mailing address at his grandmothers house. We went to a state school so he saved about half his tuition (and he's a lawyer now).

I am aware of kids changing middle or high schools for the sake of receiving a better music education in TX, IN, TN, OK, MO, and IL. Some do this to be in a BOA type band, but many do it so they can be better prepared to go directly into a good music program at a respected university.

I am aware of kids changing middle or high schools for the sake of receiving a better music education in TX, IN, TN, OK, MO, and IL. Some do this to be in a BOA type band, but many do it so they can be better prepared to go directly into a good music program at a respected university.

What is covered under the "better music education"? I'm way out of the loop as far as HS instruction goes around Central PA but not aware of anything outside of participating in bands, orchestera or vocal groups. For theory and advanced music studies... well we got that Community College thing with a corps BusMang as one of the instructors. not even aware of instrumental lessons past Jr High in the schools.

And how easy is it to change schools in the states you mentioned? Here your choices for a different school are move or pay the tuition for private school.

Interesting subject.... and only music course I took was Theory I and got an "Understanding B". The understanding was what I wouldn't take and more Theory. :w00t:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

...And how easy is it to change schools in the states you mentioned? Here your choices for a different school are move or pay the tuition for private school.

A parent changing an actual living address is the legal way. This can be accomplished as easily as renting an apartment or the parent moving in with relatives. It needs to be a legitimate dwelling because there is a chance they will be visited by a district representative. However, since it can be a four - six year stint (if middle school is involved) many families will just sell one house and move into another. Of course this house to house situation mainly occurs with just families who can afford to do this type of thing. Nevertheless, I am aware of parents who have done the dwelling changes for the sake of the child's musical education.

This.

Even the WORST of high school bands is taught by someone with a degree in Music Education. That was NOT the case with every local corps. Moreover, those local corps were not nearly as involved or even GOOD as your run of the mill marching band. The rose colored glasses about local corps need to go. Real teachers are doing real teaching jobs because more towns have schools with music than EVER had drum corps.

a degree in music education does not make one a good teacher. trust me, I've seen plenty

• Like 3

We have been agreeing with each other way too much lately. Are you sure the Rapture didn't happen on the 21st?

no. you've just been smart :tongue:

A parent changing an actual living address is the legal way. This can be accomplished as easily as renting an apartment or the parent moving in with relatives. It needs to be a legitimate dwelling because there is a chance they will be visited by a district representative. However, since it can be a four - six year stint (if middle school is involved) many families will just sell one house and move into another. Of course this house to house situation mainly occurs with just families who can afford to do this type of thing. Nevertheless, I am aware of parents who have done the dwelling changes for the sake of the child's musical education.

OK, was wondering if there was a way to transfer between schools in a SD (school district). Asking because finally have some family members who moved to another state (Wake Forest, NC). The nieces there are in high and middle school and I'm getting a real education on the differences between PA and NC school laws. Also because WF SD (or what ever it's called) is so freakin' HUGE the schools can do more than what's in my area. Older one is taking some advanced placement courses that my old SD can only dream about.

Too bad they're not interested in the arts or I could find out a lot about what the SD offers in that area.

OK, was wondering if there was a way to transfer between schools in a SD (school district). Asking because finally have some family members who moved to another state (Wake Forest, NC). The nieces there are in high and middle school and I'm getting a real education on the differences between PA and NC school laws. Also because WF SD (or what ever it's called) is so freakin' HUGE the schools can do more than what's in my area. Older one is taking some advanced placement courses that my old SD can only dream about.

Too bad they're not interested in the arts or I could find out a lot about what the SD offers in that area.

Depending on the school district, all you really need is a "valid" reason to do an inter-district transfer. For example, if a parent says they are employed closer to one school and it is more convenient, that might work (it has worked in our district before). Also, if a school offer a program unique to other schools, that would work. For example, only one school in our district as an FFA program. It is not uncommon for a student to transfer to that school using FFA as an excuse, and the dropping the program after all of the ink dries, so to speak.

There are plenty of ways to work the system: one just has to be a little creative. Stu is correct that a valid address is the easiest way to transfer schools, but I've seen plenty of other ways (I've known families who fibbed about an address for a total of almost two decades due to siblings in order to be at a specific school).