whats wrong with BOA?

Depending on the school district, all you really need is a "valid" reason to do an inter-district transfer. For example, if a parent says they are employed closer to one school and it is more convenient, that might work (it has worked in our district before). Also, if a school offer a program unique to other schools, that would work. For example, only one school in our district as an FFA program. It is not uncommon for a student to transfer to that school using FFA as an excuse, and the dropping the program after all of the ink dries, so to speak.

There are plenty of ways to work the system: one just has to be a little creative. Stu is correct that a valid address is the easiest way to transfer schools, but I've seen plenty of other ways (I've known families who fibbed about an address for a total of almost two decades due to siblings in order to be at a specific school).

When there are multiple high schools in the same district what perc2100 described is a viable option; this also applies when a district has a Charter School. As for those people who fib, that does happen, but they "usually" get caught, so they are the exception not the norm.

Also, if a school offer a program unique to other schools, that would work. For example, only one school in our district as an FFA program.

That sounds familiar... much as I was trying to block out that arguement between two teenage nieces and their mother.... 5 feet away from me.... :shutup:

In this case I think one school in the SD had Advanced placement in one area and another had AdvPlace in another. And why the nieces were going to one instead of the other..... As Unca Jim is sitting there thinking "I drove 350 miles one way for THIS ####???"

From a fans perspective, I don’t find it entertaining…I don’t like the instrumentation, hate amped woodwind solos, don’t like the style of band shows…many are way too over-reaching in attempt at a theme that they become laughable…many of the things that I don’t like in drum corps shows are maxed out in band shows like props and voice…don’t like the crowds…too many kids and band parents. Plus I’m not involved with any high school so I feel out of place at them

I like the idea better than the reality and 10 or so years I do go and then quickly remember why I don’t go

To be clear, I’m not dissing marching bands other than its not to my tastes…I like baseball but don’t follow cricket

• Like 1

Regarding the social aspect, in a HS band you're limited to the enrollment in the school, and specifically the band program, as the base of your social network. In drum corps I got to know people from all over Southern and Northern California and more from all over the US and Canada. Many of our band mates were our drum corps groupies, too, so they expanded their social network outside the school peripherally.

In another comment, it's people like me and MikeD, and many more of us I'm sure, that created this model by taking back what we learned in drum corps to our HS bands, and to others soon after. In my case, my first percussion instructor gig outside of volunteering with my old school was in another part of Orange County, and that was back in 1975. To be honest, I'm sure the advanced instruction may have been second to getting the drummers out of the directors hair!

Garry in Vegas

Regarding the social aspect, in a HS band you're limited to the enrollment in the school, and specifically the band program, as the base of your social network. In drum corps I got to know people from all over Southern and Northern California and more from all over the US and Canada.

LMAO..... few weeks after I joined a start up Sr corps (at age 16) that never really got started, heard the following conversation between two corps mates...

"Did the VA call back?"

"No and I'm supposed to be on the priority list."

"I forget... why are you on that list?"

"Cuz I got my ### shot twice by the Viet Cong."

"Oh yeah..."

Yep... expanded my social aspect pretty far in corps.... Expecially since my HS band mates were all from the 'burbs and pretty close in life experiences. "Cookie cutter" pretty much describes it....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

In another comment, it's people like me and MikeD, and many more of us I'm sure, that created this model by taking back what we learned in drum corps to our HS bands, and to others soon after. In my case, my first percussion instructor gig outside of volunteering with my old school was in another part of Orange County, and that was back in 1975. To be honest, I'm sure the advanced instruction may have been second to getting the drummers out of the directors hair!

My first was 1971, when I was a freshman in college. The Cadets Asst Brass instructor was band director at a HS near my college, and he brought me in as what would today be called a drum tech. He had George Tuthill write the book and also teach, and Larry Kerchner wrote the band charts...may have been his first, though I am not sure of that. I know Larry DID use his 71 Blue Rock version of "American Salute" as the band's opener. Ray Capacelli, one of Garfield's marching staff, came in to work marching with the band.

I taught there in 71, 72 and 73.

I think that drum corps 'success' at getting corps members to become music majors is what fueled a lot of the rise in corps-style bands that led to corps-style competitions through the 70's into the 80's right to today.

Though...that same success 'helped' reduce the desire of HS kids to join a local small corps, if their own HS band was competing. I taught a corps in Wayne NJ, the Monarchs (later King's Regiment after a merger), and almost NO members came from Wayne...and I also taught full time in the district at Wayne Valley HS, a VERy corps-style band.

There is one "way of the old" that drum corps does not have to capture, and I believe it will continue to stay that way: No matter how much marching bands may provide the community service component that at one time was provided to a greater extent by drum corps then that now, the drum corps experience offers youth a social experience that cannot be duplicated in the schools.

For those who want it and are willing to put in the hard work, the physical, musical and teamwork benefits of drum corps remain at the pinnacle of the marching activities and are well beyond the wonderful benefits one gets from their own marching bands. (This is not to diminish what youth get out of their marching bands...but it's just not the same thing.) I trust that this activity we all love will continue to be what people look to in order to experience the best of the best.

I marched in a top level TOB band back int he early 80's (2 yrs) and marched in Crossmen in 84. Funny thing is I have over 30 friends on Facebook from school and 98% are from band. I have 2 friends from the Crossmen. Same thing with another school mate who marched a couple of years ebfore me. Looking back on which influenced me the most Band wins hands down.

Which would be more community aware once again band wins hands down, especially win most of the marchers are from out of state. CRossmen, Texas, Large group from Ohio with maybe half from the Delaware ValleyI don't think 10% of West Chester knew what a Crossmen was.