Official Announcement about the 2012 Season - The Brigadiers

Announcement:

The Executive Board of the Brigadiers Music Association would like begin a process that will set the record straight on the 2012 season. The announcement that the Brigadiers Drum and Bugle Corps will be returning to the competitive field in 2012 was premature and unauthorized. A small contingent of interested persons was responsible for putting out this announcement before the proposed Corps budget was even voted on, a necessary step in the process. By a unanimous vote of the Board, the budget was voted down because it represented an unacceptable risk of failure. The vote was also unanimous not to field the competitive corps in 2012.

There is always a conflict between people who just want to see the corps on the field and those of us who have to determine whether there are enough long-term resources to do it. Those responsible were told by the Board to take down the announcements but remarkably, they would not. Now, the Board is put in a position to balance a disappointing public announcement against the future of the corps.

We have always maintained our determined interest in returning to the field, to do it in a way fitting the storied history and tradition of the Brigadiers... and to do it in a financially responsible manner. Since the corps went inactive about a year and a half ago, each of us has worked to secure a long-term future for the Corps so the name of the corps and the very idea of The Brigadiers would continue past our first year back. And the budget issues were not all. We also took into account the poor state of the national economy, the high price of gasoline and travel, and high unemployment among younger members and their parents. These factors and others made 2012 probably the worst year to bring an ambitious corps back from the brink.

So, where are we now? This small contingent of persons continues to act in what they think is in the corps' interest. As a board tasked with protecting the longevity of the Brigadiers, we have no choice but to terminate the Director of this small group from any formal position with the corps. We hope that this incident hasn't done irreparable damage to The Brigadiers.

What about 2012? Well, in addition to the return to the WGI Championships floor of our now Open Class Brigadiers Winterguard -- which took 6th place last year in Dayton -- we're hoping to add a very serious DCA Championships Mini-Corps to our group at Annapolis! Also, this summer to put money in the bank, we're planning to do a limited rehearsal and parade schedule on Memorial Day and the 4th of July. These will be BrigsBusTrips and should be a gas! All those interested in wearing the Brigadiers' uniform, once again, please sign up soon!

Finally, the Brigadiers Music Association Executive Board would like to apologize for the public airing of this information. It's regrettable. It became necessary by recent events. Any official announcements will be made only by BMA Board Member and spokesperson, Scott Mescon.

More information to follow if it becomes necessary.

The Executive Boardof the Brigadiers Music Association

Edited by SkipMebden

good luck in sorting out the future. I'm sure we'd all love to see Brigs back, but we'd want to see them back and healthy first and foremost

• Like 1

I wish them nothing but the best.

I wish them nothing but the best also but what a cluster muck.

• Like 1

I wish them nothing but the best also but what a cluster muck.

I'm sorry the initial information wasn't correct; I was very much looking forward to seeing the corps on the field this season. And I'm equally sorry that correcting it became such a mess.

Finances, however, are paramount. As much as I hate not to see the corps this season, you're doing the right thing by putting finances first and green grass and white lines second.

• Like 1

I hope the Best For the Brigadiers in the Future!

Wow. I haven't worn the uniform since 2008 and haven't even posted in DCP since 2009! Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about the current difficulties. I'm thinking it might be time to wear the uniform again. I just might think about marching in the 4th of July parade! Who's with me?