The 2011 "Phone Books" are coming

I'm guessing it's the fact that the corps/DCI/whoever may not have paid permission for rights to reproduce those samples.

What's going to cause trouble down the road is when more samples get used *within* a show - that will cause pieces to have to be removed.

Mike

Crown was probably due to time restraints on CD format.

Cavies was probably because the didn't want David Bowie to sue them.

I think you're half right. It is probably licensing issues with both David Bowie for Cavaliers and Guns and Roses for Crown. In both cases, the rights holders like to keep a tight control on their music and don't often issue licenses.

IIRC, big difference this year: in both cases, the music in question was not performed by the corps. It was sampled and inserted. That is a different kind of license and permission.

In other words, Axl Rose doesn't want to become the lead singer for a portion of the Carolina Crown Drum & Bugle corps.

I think you're half right. It is probably licensing issues with both David Bowie for Cavaliers and Guns and Roses for Crown. In both cases, the rights holders like to keep a tight control on their music and don't often issue licenses.

IIRC, big difference this year: in both cases, the music in question was not performed by the corps. It was sampled and inserted. That is a different kind of license and permission.

In other words, Axl Rose doesn't want to become the lead singer for a portion of the Carolina Crown Drum & Bugle corps.

I'm sure you're right. It's just odd that this wasn't a problem for APD sales. And again, it would be nice to get a heads up. And don't trivialize the importance of any part of a show to fans.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's the difference between digital download and physical CD.

(And I agree, especially with as rabid a fanbase as DCI generates, it might behoove them to actually list which corps' preshows are included. Wouldn't take more than a few minutes to write a news article with the data, or just list it on the CD ordering page.)

Mike

• Like 1

This is likely correct. If Axl Rose were Crown's lead singer, he'd have to show up to gigs on time and record music sooner than multiple decades of time lapse in between releases :tongue:

Just got off the phone with a customer service rep and he said there is nothing they can do. I asked why we were not informed of this months ago and he said it was only small changes to the show and they didnt think it was important to post. This just pisses me off.

WOW! I'm with you, and I'm a bit perturbed that DCI wouldn't think fans would flip out (since I'm sure they're well aware that DCI fans flip out about every minute detail).

Also, this response, the way you phrase it at least, implies that DCI might've known about this for quite some time but didn't bother to communicate with the fans (which kinda seems slightly shady, as it could be taken as DCI intentionally hiding the information from fans).

That being said, that fact that even as early as this morning both Cavaliers and Crown shows were on Fan Network, which would lead me to believe this is something DCI learned only recently.

Either way, major bummer that two great shows will not be documented in their entirety.

I would suggest if you have not bought the CD's yet to just skip them this year and buy the full show quarterfinal APD's. The quality is about the same and you get the full show.

Seriously, you might be able to make an argument that they are better mixed. Pretty disappointed thus far.