How to pack for spring training and tour?

What we learned the first year of tour:

No Black clothing in TEXAS! No black shoes for practice! No Black shirts! No Black shorts! No Black Hats! No way! No how!

The Purex 3-in-1 washing/drying sheets rock!

Save your perscription pill bottles to store quarters in. Then keep the purex and bottles of quarters in your laundry bag so you will have them when you need them.

A power strip with surge protector is a good thing. Get a bright/fun color so you can identify it.

My kid got a self-inflatable mattress for the tour. In fact, he requested it as a Christmas present from his grandparents. It's only about 2 inches thick when inflated and rolls up easily. That way he didn't have to look for a plug when all he wanted to do was get some floor time.

Sport-Wash Scent Destroying Laundry Detergent will take out the tour funk smell. It's in the sporting goods section, not laundy.

Have a great summer! :thumbup:

One thing most people bring that I've never found I needed is a sleeping bag. Sweatshirt, sweatpants, pillow and sleeping mat for sleep. If it's not a lot of floortime I just grab my pillow (that's already on the bus) and grab 30 minutes of sleep while everyone else slaves over inflating their beloved airbed (I use a normal Boy-Scoutish airmat). If there's more floortime I'll get it out, but honestly I'm always tired enough to be able to fall asleep without being 100% comfortable.

Bring a power strip with your chargers electrical-taped to it. Write your name on a little duct tape flag, so if you ever leave it in the gym the drumline (or whoever cleans up the gym in your corps) knows who to give it to (I know I'm fairly merciless in throwing unlabeled stuff away when in a rush to clean up).

Some of this has been said, but here's my list:

- Lots of socks, and some more socks.

- 2 pairs of shoes, for those mud pit fields that will leave you cherishing your second pair of shoes. Make sure you break them both in and give them both equal wear-time during move-ins.

- A hat you will be able to live with. Make sure you wash it on laundry days... But also make sure you don't dry it if it has plastic keeping its shape, as it could mess it up a little.

- Fewer shirts and shorts than you think you will need. You can wash them in the shower with a little bit of your soap and they'll be fine. It's drum corps, no one cares.

- Purex 3-in-1s & quarters. Keep a couple on the bus all the time to: make sure you never forget one from the gym, and to keep things smelling fresh.

- Febreze! Your uniform may not get washed as much as you would like. It can smell pretty... musky. Also good for keeping clothes/blankets/everything smelling a little better, yet still smelling bad.

- Bungee cords - you treasure the space above your head to keep things like gatorade, under armour after shows, towels drying, anything. I hung a pouch type thing last summer to store things like my phone, DCT, headphones.

- Suction cup holder for windows - some buses allow this, and you can also keep phone and all those good things there.

- DCT/chop saver - Your lips are your life in drum corps.

- Ziplock Bags. You never know when you will need them, but trust me, you will. I use them to keep shirts I buy from the souvie stand away from all of my other clothes, so they don't smell or anything.

- Ibuprofen/pain killers - you will want some during move-ins most likely.

- Sweatshirt & athletic pants - it can get cold/rainy at rehearsals sometimes, and the bus is likely going to be cold. Also for nights your sleeping area is colder than a freezer.

- Shower sandals & microfiber towel - microfiber towels are so great, and they dry very fast.

- Toiletries, shower stuff - self explanatory (please don't be the person who forgets to wear deodorant)

- Nail clippers - You will want these.

- Band aids - not really something you absolutely have to get, since the corps should have some in stock. Up to you.

- Power strip - make sure your name is on it.

- Phone charger - along with the power strip, make sure your name is on it. These can get passed around the corps if you are not careful. Always charge phone at night and try to avoid leaving anything out in the open when you are not in the sleeping area.

- Blanket for the bus & sleeping - self explanatory

- A couple bus boxes that will fit under your seat - for bus snacks! Oh, and everything else. Always keep a pair of clean gloves and show socks in here!! You will save your own life or someone else's at some point or another if you always do this.

- Wright's silver polish (or whatever the corps uses) - keep your horn clean

- Small towel for polishing - I have used a little microfiber towel and it works great. But old t-shirts and other cloth-materials work just as well.

- Shoe polish - just depends on the corps.

- Sun screen & aloe - if you want to not feel like you are in hell and want out during move-ins, use sun screen. Some people stop wearing it after a certain point, others don't. Depends on your skin. You should know what you need, but everyone gets the same amount of sun exposure. Just be smart. Aloe for when you think you don't need sun screen and get inside and feel like an idiot.

- Sandals for after shows & for bus - It is nice to get out of shoes, and also you can slip them on when you arrive at a housing site at 4am and not hassle with shoes. Plus bus feet sometimes make shoes difficult to put back on.

- Fitted sheet for bus seats - optional, but is nice, and you can wash it to make your seats not smell so bad.

- Some nice shorts and shirt - it feels good to feel normal again on laundry days and free days.

That's all I can think of right now, I'll add more if I think of it. But right now, focus more on your audition and making it into a corps, rather than what you will need.

Good luck!

Edited by MarchandPlay
  • Like 2

What we learned the first year of tour:

No Black clothing in TEXAS! No black shoes for practice! No Black shirts! No Black shorts! No Black Hats! No way! No how!

The Purex 3-in-1 washing/drying sheets rock!

Save your perscription pill bottles to store quarters in. Then keep the purex and bottles of quarters in your laundry bag so you will have them when you need them.

A power strip with surge protector is a good thing. Get a bright/fun color so you can identify it.

My kid got a self-inflatable mattress for the tour. In fact, he requested it as a Christmas present from his grandparents. It's only about 2 inches thick when inflated and rolls up easily. That way he didn't have to look for a plug when all he wanted to do was get some floor time.

Sport-Wash Scent Destroying Laundry Detergent will take out the tour funk smell. It's in the sporting goods section, not laundy.

Have a great summer! :thumbup:

Should I spray paint my shoes white? XD

Don't bring a lot of shirts. One, never wore them during rehearsal, but when I did nobody cares how it smells when you're on the field. I usually just bought a pack of hanes white tees. And you actually won't hit walmart as much as people say. Depending on the corps it's different, Pio we hit walmart a lot, like every other week, at Scouts we had maybe 2 all season in 2009. If you keep maybe 2-3 shirts that you are willing to not wear to practice and keep them as free day/post show shirts. Otherwise any shirt you wear during rehearsal WILL BE RUINED!! Trust me the crap you do will destroy tee shirts. Otherwise kinda pack for like a week of camp and you can survive off that. If you have running shorties I'd reccommend them because you can just shower in them and wash them then.

• Like 1

Don't bring a lot of shirts. One, never wore them during rehearsal, but when I did nobody cares how it smells when you're on the field. I usually just bought a pack of hanes white tees. And you actually won't hit walmart as much as people say. Depending on the corps it's different, Pio we hit walmart a lot, like every other week, at Scouts we had maybe 2 all season in 2009. If you keep maybe 2-3 shirts that you are willing to not wear to practice and keep them as free day/post show shirts. Otherwise any shirt you wear during rehearsal WILL BE RUINED!! Trust me the crap you do will destroy tee shirts. Otherwise kinda pack for like a week of camp and you can survive off that. If you have running shorties I'd reccommend them because you can just shower in them and wash them then.

I don't like to go shirtless. (I'm a husky fellah) and your saying only three shirts? PM me please.