Restructuring the DCI BOD

I just mean on the creative side... not management.

Look at the major innovations in the 70's and early 80's... and how young these guys were driving these changes. Also, most of them had mustaches... so... it could be the mustaches. I suggest all staff members grow mustaches (and mullets) again... see what happens.

Random sampling...

228702_5747731910_507456910_281091_5328_n.jpg

l.jpg

305462_2257486591290_1072126188_32489836_429610660_n.jpg

305767_2257406829296_1072126188_32489702_1658026362_n.jpg

7524_1123458453795_1447124242_30292675_5046111_n.jpg

n1448689235_30448530_2912708.jpg

n1142860767_30213162_4478893.jpg

300702_2257403229206_1072126188_32489684_101796150_n.jpg

30229_1410278147855_1559536246_984776_2643924_n.jpg

fredsanford-23.jpg

peteemmmmons-24.jpg

... ok.... maybe it's just all about mullets and mustaches?

the creative side as well.....read all of what I wrote. Most will over write...etc etc.jut because one is young doent mean they know how to put a show together, know what will succeed, get the pacing right, know what judges will expect or an audiance will like. Some of the best I have come across in the activity were well past their 40s and 50s and still succeeding at a very high level. Look at Chandler,( well except for ugly xxx costumes but my friend Scott created ugly even when he was young..lol.) and some others those arent kids by no means.

Edited by GUARDLING

the creative side as well.....read all of what I wrote. Most will over write...etc etc.jut because one is young doent mean they know how to put a show together, know what will succeed, get the pacing right, know what judges will expect or an audiance will like. Some of the best I have come across in the activity were will bast thier 40 and 50s and still succeeding at a very high level. Look at Chandler, and some others those arent kids by no means.

But... at one point Scott had both a mullet and a mustache (as evidenced above). Evidence suggests that this is the key factor for success.

But... at one point Scott had both a mullet and a mustache (as evidenced above). Evidence suggests that this is the key factor for success.

The one photo of you we have (the politician) suggests you don't drink your own tea.

I wear a fedora.

DCI is not an incubator. DCI also shouldn't be in the business of developing paths for corps to grow, etc.

An independent organization would be a more suitable as a corps incubator, one that has collected best practices from various corps and consolidated them into a comprehensive set of resources and provides guidance.

DCI should be focused on making money, period.

About the meaning of the phrase.... figure it out.... means exactly that.

There are 2 ways to figure something out...

Copy - find someone who has demonstrated success in something.... copy exactly what they did... add your own special sauce once successful.

Trial and error - learn how to do something by simply busting your ### and not giving up, trying every possible way until you get it right. This takes a crazy amount of determination, loads of work and is expensive.

The thing is that now anyone who is not copying is an idiot. There are plenty of successful groups out there that have become successful using a couple of different models. Copy that.

The main problem here is that there are not enough people who have both the skills/experience and interest to run a drum corps. Those that have the interest, but lack the skills/experience don't have a formal resource for obtaining skills training. Could be cool to have such resources for those that have the interest... but this should not fall under DCI's scope.

Copying. Exactly. Copy the best.

Build the roadmap to success from the successful.

After all, it seems true. A little bit of grist from the big boys goes a very long way for the smaller corps.

Come on, man! They'll hardly feel the little pinch. And they'll grow a real competitive segment that will only help their ratings, right?

ph34r.gif

I agree with you about needing to play to a wider audience, but please address this issue: I am a fan who purchased a top row 50 yard line seat for $120; and during the evening I discover the corps are now playing an equal portion of their show directed toward the person who is on the bottom row on the ten yard line and that person paid just $25. I am now angry because I was supposed to be paying that huge extra amount to get better viewing and better sound than the $25 seat. It is your job to calm my anger and make sure I return next year once again purchasing the $120 seat. How would you handle that (which would occur I guarantee it).

Might I inquire as to the measuring device(s) you used to arrive at this analysis?

Might I inquire as to the measuring device(s) you used to arrive at this analysis?

The devaluing of the $120 fifty yard-line seat was based on an idea where corps would adjust their show structures to play much of their show toward the cheap seats.

Edited by Stu

I'm not saying that things have become a bit stagnant because they are old.... it has become stagnant because they no longer have mullets and mustaches!

Things really are sort of too similar these days.... there are no radical standouts in finals.... like the Bridgemen or VK or Suncoast.

A lot of stuff looks too much the same with similar Star Trek uniforms, guard all spinning the same equipment.... so many playing wind ensemble music. Last year started to shake things up a bit... hopefully this year will continue.

I do fear until the mullet/mustache properly returns, however, there will still be a bit too much competitive conformity.

I'll agree with you til the mullet part.

I mean I had one and all, but I don't want it back