Restructuring the DCI BOD

If kids have much energy for anything other than crashing the second their sleeping bag hits the floor, they're not being worked hard enough.

that explains all the facebook posts and tweets every night

Once again.... the future of this activity is growing it from the top down, not the bottom up.

A perfect example of this is Blue Devils in Malaysia this week. How much of an impact is that having in areas of the world you never thought about drum corps existing in?

I don't know. The Malaysian activity developed long before the Blue Devils visited. Maybe this is the perfect example.

Things were moving along swimmingly in Malaysia without the divine intervention of the Blue Devils. BD's trip to Malaysia is a fine idea, and I'm sure all parties will benefit, but I can't imagine three days of clinics will have a lasting impact unless they mark the beginning of some kind of permanent relationship.

Things were moving along swimmingly in Malaysia without the divine intervention of the Blue Devils. BD's trip to Malaysia is a fine idea, and I'm sure all parties will benefit, but I can't imagine three days of clinics will have a lasting impact unless they mark the beginning of some kind of permanent relationship.

These are life changing events for all involved. I have no question about that. I would love to see as much international interaction as possible, and consider these experiences to actually be more valuable than the standard summer drum corps experience.

Please explain... in more simple terms.

OK. Drum corps grows from the bottom up....not from the top down. Simple enough?

Of course, that is a bit oversimplified. Top corps and circuits can serve as role models; they can share knowledge on everything from judge training to cleaning a snareline. I'll bet that representatives of the Blue Devils organization will do good things while in Malaysia. However, in the end (and in the beginning), it will be the people directly involved in these corps/bands in Malaysia and other nations who will pursue the three Ms (money, members and management) necessary to build their programs from the bottom up.

It's much like your oak analogy....trees also grow from the bottom up. Without fertile soil, acorns are just squirrel food.

• Like 1

Blue Devils in Malaysia?

Really?

Off to look that up…how did I miss this?

surprised Malaysia though, it’s a rather charged country with odious entry requirements and yeah I’ve been a few time so I can say that....wondering if BD did their homework though