Cadets2 question...

And yet again...you can have ALL of those same benefits as a DCI Open Class Corps. Nothing presented here is any different than that of MOST DCI Open Class corps and their schedules.

Listen! Competing in DCI Open Class require NO MORE OS A TIME commitment than DCA. That is a FACT!

Im not sure from some of the posts here that everyone has a full understanding of the DCI Open Class model. Some people clearly think its "Weekends only".

Untrue.

Taking from the Blue Devils B corps schedule, From June 15th to June 30th (Before they even leave for tour) they have a full days rehearsal or a rehearsal and performance all by 2 days. 14 Days in that span they are working. No DCA corps does that. I marched 3 season of DCA including one championship season and the most we ever did was fri/sat/sun and one thursday during DCA week only. Then the first 3 weeks of July they are going 6 days per week. So put that together and between June 15th and July 21st, they only have like 4 days off. Then they get a little lighter and on August first all the way through finals, they are just about every day again. Thats WAY above anything any DCA corps.

The Velvet knights have a full weekend camp in june followed by a week off followed by 2 full weeks to end june, and then continue almost daily through july with only 4 days off and 3 designed travel days.

The DCI Open model is closer to being a full touring corps than it is to being a DCA or true weekend model.

Again, DCI Open and DCA are not an "Apples to apples" comparison.

• Like 1

Im not sure from some of the posts here that everyone has a full understanding of the DCI Open Class model. Some people clearly think its "Weekends only".

Untrue.

Taking from the Blue Devils B corps schedule, From June 15th to June 30th (Before they even leave for tour) they have a full days rehearsal or a rehearsal and performance all by 2 days. 14 Days in that span they are working. No DCA corps does that. I marched 3 season of DCA including one championship season and the most we ever did was fri/sat/sun and one thursday during DCA week only. Then the first 3 weeks of July they are going 6 days per week. So put that together and between June 15th and July 21st, they only have like 4 days off. Then they get a little lighter and on August first all the way through finals, they are just about every day again. Thats WAY above anything any DCA corps.

The Velvet knights have a full weekend camp in june followed by a week off followed by 2 full weeks to end june, and then continue almost daily through july with only 4 days off and 3 designed travel days.

The DCI Open model is closer to being a full touring corps than it is to being a DCA or true weekend model.

Again, DCI Open and DCA are not an "Apples to apples" comparison.

The true voice of reason. I hope someone is listening.

To be fair: OC on West Coast (esp. BD+SCV) might run things a little differently than OC on the East Coast. After all, we do have limited tour World Class corps.

Wow! 3 reds for that?

it just takes a short look at some publicly available schedules to see that some OC corps are "weekend-only" and with some evenings well into July. Those schedules are more DCA-like than DCI-like. There's no spring training, weekend-only camps, local parades, etc... The big difference is the late-season tour where a corps is actually on the road for 2-3 weeks.

(In some cases at least) Open Class straddles the divide between a full touring corps and weekend-only tour. Sure there are all kinds of degrees along that spectrum but not all Open Class has a schedule like BD-B or SCV-B.

Edited by corpsband

There's a lot of energy being wasted on comparing DCI Open Class to DCA and discussing OC schedules in the West Coast. Going back to the original post- seeing as how Cadets2 is located on the East coast, what BDB does for a tour is not a full apples to apples. GH made it pretty clear, and I think most of us can agree, that DCA has a better model and schedule for them, especially given their East Coast location and DCA's epicenter. For Cadets2 to compete in DCI: OC, they would have no choice but to tour for a minimum of two weeks with at least a 1 week full camp first; otherwise they wouldn't be able to compete with the other corps in their circuit. Do you have any idea how much money a corps needs to collect for housing, buses, food, fuel, possible equipment truck rental, etc.. for a minimum of three weeks?? I don't have any cold hard numbers on that but I bet its more than what GH wanted for Cadets2.

I'm more interested in the turn-out for their second camp? Any reports? It seems as if they put out a few too many folding chairs at their open house and have had to start aggressively recruiting based on the news feeds I've read. Anyone in this activity long enough knows that the second camp is where you start to build.. Thats when you separate those who were just checking out the program from those who are, for the time being, planning on committing to your organization.

I'm more interested in the turn-out for their second camp? Any reports? It seems as if they put out a few too many folding chairs at their open house and have had to start aggressively recruiting based on the news feeds I've read. Anyone in this activity long enough knows that the second camp is where you start to build.. Thats when you separate those who were just checking out the program from those who are, for the time being, planning on committing to your organization.

The second camp was actually my first camp (first camp with a Drum Corps PERIOD). I know Cadets2 won't go out and actual say this, but numbers are pretty low, and it's making the DCA circuit a much better idea. It's a great group, and I myself am wondering why people don't want to come. There were almost 700 people with interest requests, but the numbers are not showing. Cadets2 has a lot of potential, and I'm very excited to march my first drum corp season with them based on this past weekend's camp. Now, even though they are competing in DCA, Cadets2 will be...around. I'm guessing members aren't allowed to say much right now, but they have some awesome things planned for the season.

If there are any low brass and mellophone players still interested to march, head to the Cadets2 camp in January. It will be worth your while to see what Cadets2 has in store.

Edited by b2trumpet
  • Like 1

Brass numbers (esp. baris and tubas) are obviously low as they're going on a recruiting tour to high schools:

(from a C2 FB post...)

Kitchenman will be joined by Program Coordinator Rich Hammond to tour high schools in the region over the coming weeks as part of the “Cadets2 Road Show” meeting with band directors and potential members who are interested in following the pathway to Cadets2. First up will be a trip to Central Penn. on Tuesday, Dec. 20 and then a trip to schools in the Philadelphia suburbs on Wednesday, Dec. 21.

Brass numbers (esp. baris and tubas) are obviously low as they're going on a recruiting tour to high schools:

(from a C2 FB post...)

Kitchenman will be joined by Program Coordinator Rich Hammond to tour high schools in the region over the coming weeks as part of the "Cadets2 Road Show" meeting with band directors and potential members who are interested in following the pathway to Cadets2. First up will be a trip to Central Penn. on Tuesday, Dec. 20 and then a trip to schools in the Philadelphia suburbs on Wednesday, Dec. 21.

OK. I haven't read the posts about the weekend until now.

Wow! 3 reds for that?

it just takes a short look at some publicly available schedules to see that some OC corps are "weekend-only" and with some evenings well into July. Those schedules are more DCA-like than DCI-like. There's no spring training, weekend camps, parades, etc... The big difference is the late-season tour where a corps is actually on the road for 2-3 weeks.

(In some cases at least) Open Class straddles the divide between a full touring corps and weekend-only tour. Sure there are all kinds of degrees along that spectrum but not all Open Class has a schedule like BD-B or SCV-B.

agreed

The second camp was actually my first camp (first camp with a Drum Corps PERIOD). I know Cadets2 won't go out and actual say this, but numbers are pretty low, and it's making the DCA circuit a much better idea. It's a great group, and I myself am wondering why people don't want to come. There were almost 700 people with interest requests, but the numbers are not showing. Cadets2 has a lot of potential, and I'm very excited to march my first drum corp season with them based on this past weekend's camp. Now, even though they are competing in DCA, Cadets2 will be...around. I'm guessing members aren't allowed to say much right now, but they have some awesome things planned for the season.

If there are any low brass and mellophone players still interested to march, head to the Cadets2 camp in January. It will be worth your while to see what Cadets2 has in store.

Also, I know everyone is skeptical about Cadets2 right now. If anyone wants to know a little more about what's going on, feel free to PM me. (Obviously, I won't tell you any secrets. You must wait until summer. And it's not my place.)

I would imagine many kids are waiting to see if they make another corps before going to C2. That may bump up attendance in january

• Like 1