Cadets2 question...

I'm sure this has been talked about on other C2 threads but I can't find specific topics on it so I thought I would start a thread about this one subject itself.

- I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the idea of "Cadets2". I think it's genius.

- I also REALLY REALLY REALLY like DCA (so nobody bill me as "anti DCA" for starting this thread).

WHHHYYYYY is C2 competing in DCA instead of DCI open class? I would not even ask the question if it were a true "all aged corps" (which is what DCA is designed for) but they actually have an age cap.

It makes NOOOOOOOOO sense to me that they would compete in DCA with a Jr. aged drum corps when they could be duking it out with the likes of BDB and SCVC in DCI Open Class. And just imagine those three orginizations duking it out with one corps each in the top 6-8 of both DCI divisions and most likely 2 corps each in DCI World/Open Semifinals.

What was the POINT of the DCA decision? Someone PLEASE help me out here because I just don't get it at all.... Hop's philosophies on the activity aren't even a good fit for DCA...nor are DCA's philosophies on the activity a good fit for Hop. He can't even use electronics or amplification with C2. I would think he would want that option and frankly (sorry for those of you traditionalist), he should want to also be able to prep synth players and such for progression into "C1" (for lack of a better abbreviation). What gives???

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

Two biggies - travel and rehearsal time.

As a DCA corps, they have the ability to stay relatively local - while competing against BDB and Vanguard Cadets is great, this way they don't have to foot the bill for a second national tour. They also intend to keep the rehearsal schedule to weekends only, which forces them more towards a DCA model.

Mike

They can have that same kind of schedule in DCI Open Class. In fact, most DCIOC corps have a very comparable schedule (both touring and rehearsal) as a DCA corps. Some even less than the average DCA corps.

Most OC corps do the tour on their way to Indy. YEA decided that was not the way they chose to go. You do realize many OC corps don't get a dime for shows they perform at, or they do many "you come to ours we'll come to yours" arrangements. Going this route, they'll get something for every show they go to, keep costs way down and be able to use their philosophy to many members who may want to be a Cadet, but a) aren't ready yet, b) cant afford a full tour or c) have recently aged out.

There's nothing wrong with that approach. Look, I'm no YEA fan, but the amount of freaking out about a corps who hasn't played a note yet in DCA competition is way out of control.

• Like 1

he should want to also be able to prep synth players and such for progression into "C1" (for lack of a better abbreviation). What gives???

DCI synth players for the most part use novice skill sets,................no prep needed,............push some buttons,.............hold down sub bass notes,...........pretty simple,...........

DCI synth players for the most part use novice skill sets,................no prep needed,............push some buttons,.............hold down sub bass notes,...........pretty simple,...........

You can't be serious, right? Oh nevermind...not worth the frustration!

• Like 2

You can't be serious, right? Oh nevermind...not worth the frustration!

Unfortunately he probably is serious. Obviously he doesn't know what it takes to have great keyboard skills - nor has he ever witnessed a great piano player or taken piano lessons for any length of time. Sad, but consider the source.

• Like 1

They can have that same kind of schedule in DCI Open Class. In fact, most DCIOC corps have a very comparable schedule (both touring and rehearsal) as a DCA corps. Some even less than the average DCA corps.

But the DCA schedule is concentrated in the northeast - at least fairly local to the Cadets in Allentown. Also, as a DCA corps it lets them use (if they choose) recent age outs, which will help put a larger group on the field.

Mike

Why DCA? It's simple.

Reach out to a ton of other students who can't afford a full tour but want to compete in a drum corps. They get to keep their summer, have a job and still be a kid.

DCA is relatively local to the area.. most DCA shows occur in the Northeast. Probably cuts back a lot the expenses by doing this.

With the ties through YEA to the USSBA it's not too hard to get interest for Cadets 2.

I think that by going DCA and providing the age limit they can get the recent age out cadets to provide the leadership for cadets 2 and mold the members into what the cadets are now.

To me, it's simply genius.

All of the above stated may be reading into it a little much, i think we should just make it a simple philosophy. They get to reach out to a ton of other kids and provide them with a great experience without the huge time commitment.. it's about the kids.

Edited by MrStellar
  • Like 1

Great reply! :worthy:

:worthy:

Why DCA? It's simple.

Reach out to a ton of other students who can't afford a full tour but want to compete in a drum corps. They get to keep their summer, have a job and still be a kid.

DCA is relatively local to the area.. most DCA shows occur in the Northeast. Probably cuts back a lot the expenses by doing this.

With the ties through YEA to the USSBA it's not too hard to get interest for Cadets 2.

I think that by going DCA and providing the age limit they can get the recent age out cadets to provide the leadership for cadets 2 and mold the members into what the cadets are now.

To me, it's simply genius.

All of the above stated may be reading into it a little much, i think we should just make it a simple philosophy. They get to reach out to a ton of other kids and provide them with a great experience without the huge time commitment.. it's about the kids.