Restructuring Classes

Um.... it's sort of like forestry... for every tree that is felled, you need a seedling taking its place, or soon you're left with nothing.

Not following you. Are you suggesting that the Allentown audience is so old that they won't live long enough to return for next year's show?

"Allentown is sooooo old.... the starter gun's a musket!"

But the people come and the money is spent... and that's supposedly a bad thing.

Maybe the idea is to figure out what A-town is doing right. My guess is Allentown has had a long corps history for both Sr and Jr corps and hasn't PO;ed people enough to make them leave.

Name one thing for families or young people to do in Indianapolis other than the show? Great deal in terms the structure and what the city kicks in... but man... when you need to pay people to come to your city... you know it's rough.

Maybe the solution is to make other things to do around the show? Other things to do during the day? Other concerts (rock/jazz/etc).... another sort of music festival or something in conjunction.. just to make it more interesting.

I dont disagree, but the PTB do, and DCI is locked there 10 years. And let's face it, ticket prices for finals week arent exactly family friendly.

But yes, by all means, spend more money on things to attract people. Sorry, but unless you get top name acts, who is going to make a drum corps fan say "yeah, i'll drop $150 a night and $400 for tickets to go to Indy just so i can see the Has Beens live downtown"?

LOL...And HE strikes again! According to Mr. danielray, everything which is American in orientation and/or more than two years in longevity needs to be "RESTRUCTURED". I recall last summer he was advocating not only for restructuring DCI, drum corps classes, and fundraising models, but he was also lamenting the fact that we have individual nations on this globe...that we should "restructure" the United Nations so as to have but one World Society, based on some notion of a superior, world-based utopia.

Given this as a background, it is it any wonder that he denigrates the oldest, longest-running drum corps show in the history of our activity? I was at Allentown last summer (just as I have gone for the last 25 years), and the place was packed with thousands of spectators of ALL ages. "Mutant east coast anomaly" isn't just cruel...it is inaccurate. For an individual of this poster's imagined intellect, this comment hoists you by your own petard, sir.

well said. As an attendee since...Oh God the 70's, it's always had a mixed age crowd

But the people come and the money is spent... and that's supposedly a bad thing.

Maybe the idea is to figure out what A-town is doing right. My guess is Allentown has had a long corps history for both Sr and Jr corps and hasn't PO;ed people enough to make them leave.

IMO, here's what Allentown is doing right:

tradtition. The Stadium is a drum corps icon, like Bridgeport CT, the old Dream show site etc.

There's a lot to do just in Allentown....especially for kids with Dorney Park right up the road.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure someone will red mark me for this but um....it's not a dome.

It's a great lineup. It's not a monster like San Antonio or Atlanta where you get 23 corps shoved down your throat starting at 2 PM. You get to break it up over two nights.

funnel cakes. really, the line is always long.

I mean, it's not air conditioned, you have to use portable toilets, the food lines are often long and the menu isnt that great ( but affordable), the parking is a pain in the ###, it's not near a major airport ( tho Indy isnt exactly easy to get to depending on where you live)......but the place draws.

it draws old fans.

it draws busses of kids.

it draws in age outs.

it draws in causal fans.

Whatever the hell they are doing, keep it up. I sent my order in the firstday possible and I'm on the 40.

and I'm ok with that because I know the crowd will be receptive, the corps will be near their peak, and because it's JBC Stadium.

• Like 1

Name one thing for families or young people to do in Indianapolis other than the show? Great deal in terms the structure and what the city kicks in... but man... when you need to pay people to come to your city... you know it's rough.

Maybe the solution is to make other things to do around the show? Other things to do during the day? Other concerts (rock/jazz/etc).... another sort of music festival or something in conjunction.. just to make it more interesting.

There's plenty to do for young families. Indy contains one of the world's finest children's museums. Don't scoff, it's truly a world class facility. Constantly changes, so it stays fresh year after year . . . taken lots of kids there and they always love it. The minor league ball park downtown offers a better experience than most major league parks, at a far lower price. There's an excellent zoo within walking distance from the stadium. The whole White River SP complex offers a lot for kids.

"Young people" is a little harder. When I first moved into the area I admit I found downtown Indy a little dismal. Broad Ripple area was always great though. But the downtown restaurant and bar scene has improved by leaps and bounds in the past few years, and while I still much prefer Bloomington I'd say Indy offers adequate amusement for a few days . . . for anyone willing to go out there and look for it rather than buying into tired and outdated stereotypes. For reference I've lived in Moscow and Paris, spent substantial time in other major cosmopolitan cities, and I am hardly bored living in the Indy area.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure someone will red mark me for this but um....it's not a dome.

I live less than an hour from Indy and I know several people here who hate the dome so much that they drive all the way to Allentown and have their "finals" there. I'm not crazy about the dome either, but I only go as far as Murfreesboro for my "finals".

There's plenty to do for young families. Indy contains one of the world's finest children's museums. Don't scoff, it's truly a world class facility. Constantly changes, so it stays fresh year after year . . . taken lots of kids there and they always love it. The minor league ball park downtown offers a better experience than most major league parks, at a far lower price. There's an excellent zoo within walking distance from the stadium. The whole White River SP complex offers a lot for kids.

I actually would tend to agree that Indianapolis offers more than some might think, and way more than the people who repeatedly indicate that there's "nothing to do in Indy". I know several people that were in Indianapolis for the Big 10 championship game last weekend and all of them were impressed with the city. In fact, a couple people were so impressed that they're already looking for Super Bowl tickets in anticipation of the Packers making it that far. I would strongly suggest that people actually do a little research about places they're visiting before bashing them as "nothing to do".

What To Do in Indianapolis