Drum Corps on TV

Probably went a bit more like this....

Golden Globe/Emmy Winning TV Producer with a track record of a decade of producing multiple critically acclaimed hit series that made networks solid chunks of change: "Hey...I have an idea for a show about a Glee Club"

TV Exec: "I don't care if you wrote a show about a ####### pickle factory... midget basketball... I'll sign for 10 episodes... ok?"

True. However, the point still remains that no one knows what the viewing public will glom on to, and to count out DC as a TV show in some form is premature.

TV Exec #1: "Hey...I have an idea for a show about a Glee Club"

TV Exec #2: "Are you kidding me? High School Chorus on a TV show? Maybe, if the football team beats them up. Forget it, the general public will never go for it...too much of a chorus geek stigma!" :blink:

But "Glee" is presented as:

a) a soap opera (proven hit)

b) with young adults (proven big hit)

c) with a comically over-the-top villain type character (proven hit)

d) with topical subject matter (proven hit)

The chorus angle is original (though coming a few years after 'Drumline' it seems more like a variation on another proven hit), but the way the show is produced it is more like mini-musicals every week.

So we really have soap opera type plot lines + mini musicals that often feature both current pop hits as well as 'classic' pop hits. Oh, and the production company can make even more money selling weekly "soundtracks" of the music played that week.

Taking all of this into consideration, drum corps' best chances of being on TV is to produce a weekly dramedy series that would mix "Glee" with "Drumline." Maybe they could also pay a sweet band arranger who often works with Hollywood (paging Mr. Downey) to arrange modern/popular charts for the marching band. Of course, the coordination and casting of a marching band would be crazy complicated (more so than casting, say, an 8 person glee club) which would likely kill the idea.

To be honest, I kinda think that drum corps and marching band blew it by not taking advantage of the 'Drumline' popularity years ago with more movies, tv shows, etc. We all criticize the show band style in that movie, but it is far more popular with the mainstream than corps style show designs. I'm pretty convinced drum corps in general is too snobby/pretentious/artistic/craving of crazy demand & execution/eccentric/etc to work for the mainstream without a massive overhaul in design and adjudication trends.

Three things-

1. Star United Mini Corps is on America's Got Talent. They do a mix of their Tchaik show from this year- with their Star Alumni type show from last year. They succeed to Finals. They tell a compelling story along the way as to who they are, and where they came from....

2.Performers from Blast! have an appearance in the Macy's Parade, or the Grammy's or Tony Award live broadcasts.

3.Drum Corps is pitched to the International Olympic Committee as a demonstration sport, in the next summer Olympics held in the United States. If Ballroom Dancing was considered a few years ago- we have "legs" in this pitch.

Is there a size limit for "America's Got Talent"?

I believe groups appear on the Grammy broadcast if they have a current recording nominated for an award and the Tony broadcast if they are currently performing on Broadway.

When are the Summer Olympics? Usually right about the time of our World Championships. I also remember reading that for a sport to be considered, even in exhibition, it has to have participation in a certain number of countries. Yes; luging is in more countries than we are.

Glee is terrible.

In your opinion; but it's still pretty darn popular with the mainstream (and INFINITELY more popular in the mainstream than drum corps).

Although, this brings up a pertinent discussion: if getting drum corps on TV means changing show formats and/or design trends, plus shaping content to get the most response out of broadest audience, do we really want drum corps on TV? Is it worth radically messing with the activity to please the people least likely to organically get into/regularly follow drum corps? I personally think the activity is what it is, and I would rather any changes happen organically and not in a fairly desperate attempt to draw more viewers.

Also, FWIW, I'm not a Glee fan either (but I do appreciate and understand the fact that plenty of people are, and just because I don't personally like a show doesn't necessarily mean that the show is terrible)

Edited by perc2100

In your opinion; but it's still pretty darn popular with the mainstream (and INFINITELY more popular in the mainstream than drum corps).

Although, this brings up a pertinent discussion: if getting drum corps on TV means changing show formats and/or design trends, plus shaping content to get the most response out of broadest audience, do we really want drum corps on TV? Is it worth radically messing with the activity to please the people least likely to organically get into/regularly follow drum corps? I personally think the activity is what it is, and I would rather any changes happen organically and not in a fairly desperate attempt to draw more viewers.

Also, FWIW, I'm not a Glee fan either (but I do appreciate and understand the fact that plenty of people are, and just because I don't personally like a show doesn't necessarily mean that the show is terrible)

You bring up an interesting point: Does anything totally suck if it brings joy to the masses? Do we risk judging things only by what entertains us?

I'm going to leave this question as open as possible. Think about what the question is really asking.

What do we have to do or change to make Drum Corps more TV friendly?

I think the marching music community needs to flex its size and purchase power and let TV networks know that we want better coverage of marching music.The two places this can be done are parade coverage and halftime of College Football Games.Once we get vocal about marching bands and TV executives realize the potential,they will take the logical next step,and seek out the ultimate in marching music.My link

all orchestral instruments for a fuller sound and attract that audience, pyrotechnics, huge props and sets, very cirque like, people flying through the air...elaborate costuming ( not military like ) glitter and Glam, danger.........so I guess what I'm saying is to really make it work and MAYBE get more of the public to watch and real sponsors willing to advertise during the show...... change Drum Corps.........I'm know that sucks BUT in my opinion that's what it might take.Otherwise we may always look like marching band to the general public.

The Kilties did a combined concert with the Racine Symphony Orchestra (which is quite an outstanding group) in late August. Each group played several selections, then combined to do the 1812 Overture and encored with Stars and Stripes Forever. I just previewed the DVD; it is remarkable and it shows the "standing room only" crowd going nuts.....TV friendly=fan friendly and, just maybe, something unique from time to time which incorporates potential "out of the drum corps niche'" interests of the general public.