Taking A Break?

BD9

I was thinking of taking a season off from marching so that I could get ready for college, etc, but I've heard a lot of downsides to it. Have any of you ever taken a year (or more) off? What did you think of that, and do you think it will make it harder for me when I come back? (note: I have 5 years of marching left. If I march this season it'll be with the corps I marched in 2011, I just miss them too much, but I will want to audition for the Blue Devils either 2013 or 2014, so I'm worried I might be too out of practice..)

March.

You have a very finite amount of time to do this. Sand in an hour glass, my friend.

You'll always regret it if you don't march.

• Like 6

I was thinking of taking a season off from marching so that I could get ready for college, etc, but I've heard a lot of downsides to it. Have any of you ever taken a year (or more) off? What did you think of that, and do you think it will make it harder for me when I come back? (note: I have 5 years of marching left. If I march this season it'll be with the corps I marched in 2011, I just miss them too much, but I will want to audition for the Blue Devils either 2013 or 2014, so I'm worried I might be too out of practice..)

You need to consider the fact that there are only so many years that you be able to do this activity on this level. Also, think about how much you have learned so far in your drum corps experience, and how much more you will learn and the memories you will make each year that you do it. I would not take a year off, but I also am not claiming to be the foremost expert either. Best of luck whatever you decide.

I quit marching 3 years before my age out and if there's anything I could truly regret, that would probably top the list. Drum corps is a limited window, just do it! And march local (these days that means under a 3 hour drive)! I see no sense in paying airfare to march in a corps.

Edited by Chris Rohn
  • Like 2

I was thinking of taking a season off from marching so that I could get ready for college, etc.

This line caught my eye.... Not asking for personal info but is there a particular reason why you would need the summer to prepare for college? Appears it will be your Freshman year based on number of years remaining for DCI but wondering if you might (repeat might) be over stressing on starting college.

Caveat #1: I started at a Community College when I graduated High School then transferred to a college out of town so have no idea what the HS to out of town/state college experience feels like.

Caveat #2: Had to take an extra semester after transferring and graduated in December. Summer before my last semester I was 50/50 on marching or preparing for last semester and getting set for a job. I marched but looking back not sure if it would have really mattered either way (30+ years later).

This line caught my eye.... Not asking for personal info but is there a particular reason why you would need the summer to prepare for college? Appears it will be your Freshman year based on number of years remaining for DCI but wondering if you might (repeat might) be over stressing on starting college.

I'm thinking with Jim on this one. Not that you shouldn't take college seriously - more seriously even than drum corps. But what kind of prep are we talking about? If it's something you would be doing in three months over the summer, then maybe you could start that prep now, spread it over six or so months and have your summer of corps. Or if it's something truly profound, then maybe the question isn't whether you're ready for drum corps. Maybe the question is whether you're ready for college.

I'm a stranger with no clue about you, of course. All I'm saying is most problems have more than one solution, and you need to make sure you're focused on the proper problem to find the proper solution. If prep is about pay and the summer job you would sacrifice, for instance, then this season of drum corps isn't your only issue. If prep is about maturity, then you could make the argument that corps is the solution and that maybe you should be contemplating a gap year anyway. March whomever this summer, then get a "real" job in the fall. Use the time and money to really prep for your freshman year, at which point you'll decide anew whether corps is right again.

HH

Edited by glory

It's mostly just getting living arrangements and moving out and that, everything I need to do for my first year. Also money is a big issue for marching as well, I have to fundraise it all and that's a lot of time and stress on top of college.

Write down all of your priorities; then rank them from the most important to the least. If you can only focus on number 1, fine. If you can focus on number 1 and 2, fine. If you can focus on numbers 1-3, fine. At some point you will reach a number in which you can no longer focus on accomplishing that task without the probability of failure. It is at that point you will be able to make a wise decision on whether to take time off from corps.

... I will want to audition for the Blue Devils either 2013 or 2014...

Has there ever been a case in the past 30 years where someone hasn't wanted to audition for the Blue Devils? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Depends on your long term goals and expectations placed on you by whoever is paying for your studies...

If you are interested in studying music education in university, for example, the experience and contacts you will make will end up proving more useful than a few extra months of preparation.

If you're going to study something like engineering... I might suggest you take the time off, depending on how demanding the university is you are going to, because in more demanding programs... if you aren't prepared... you can wash out of the program in your first year if you're not prepared and blow a great opportunity.

If you have no idea what you are going to study... not required to apply to a specific program yet... then pointless not to march.