Your 2011 "Most" Awards

You mean where they split up the double tongue passage throughout the hornline? It's a lot easier than you think.

Yeah... Phan's got you here. That's not right. It was definitely triplets, and of course all runs like that are "split up," so people can breathe, just like any large chord is "split up."

• Like 1

You mean where they split up the double tongue passage throughout the hornline? It's a lot easier than you think.

It's hard enough to get an orchestra trumpet section to triple tongue together without some practice. An 80 (I don't know their numbers anymore) person horn line, that is quite difficult. First to get everyone's syllables to sound the same, then just to get it sinked up person to person at the right tempo. Then put it on the field where they are much more spread out that an arc or circle setting. Even if they did split it up, people have to breath, and the fact that they were able to take away and add people and whole sections and keep it going very consistently is impressive enough for me. And it is definitely a triple tongue passage.

Yes it is possible to double tongue triplets, but I wouldn't have a whole horn line do it. Besides the fact you can hear that they are triple tonguing.

• 1 month later...

Most Emotional: Phantom

Best chill inducing Baritone part: Bluecoats (towards the end with the growls)

Most likely to make me literally jump out of my seat in excitement: Phantom

Most Confusing: Blue Knights

Most wow factor: Cavaliers

Most likely to have music that no one remembers: Cavaliers

Most likely to bore me: Blue Devils (though it was a little better than the past couple years)

Most fun drill formations: Crown

Most creative: Cadets

Most listened to: Phantom

Most robbed: Phantom

Most likely to have a winning show soon: Phantom

Can you tell I'm a Phantom Phan?

May I ask what you were confused about with the BK show?

When I think of triple tonguing, I always think of 72 and 73 St. Andrews Bridgemen ... just before the closer. No one did that stuff back then.

Edited by A Cavalier TDY

Technically if you "hear" that it is double or triple tonguing, it wasn't performed well.

No matter what tonguing is used... it should just sound like whatever articulation is written.

The question should be "were they duple or triple subdivisions of the beat" if that is what you really want to know.... too bad that doesn't actually determine the speed or difficulty of the notes...

The video I found shows crown's triple tonguing (triplet 8ths) section at 160. This is the same speed of a double tonguing (16th notes)section at 120- "march tempo" :p

And while I'm here... How many measures are in the show? That number is X.

You cant base an entire show off of 16/X measures of their show. Especially if they are standing still.

Also note that none of the above statements take away from the wonderful performance by Carolina Crown last summer. They are all just facts. Except the last two sentences.

First to get everyone's syllables to sound the same, then just to get it sinked up person to person at the right tempo. Then put it on the field where they are much more spread out that an arc or circle setting.

This is done with every segment of every show ever written.

Edited by TheClutch
  • Like 3

The video I found shows crown's triple tonguing (triplet 8ths) section at 160. This is the same speed of a double tonguing (16th notes)section at 120- "march tempo" :p

160? That section was 196bpm. I can show you the sheet music if you'd like. :)

• Like 2

hmm maybe im looking at the wrong segment. Is it the segment right before the whammy bar?

If so,

Im watching a video online from July 21st and it is around 170-180 (click met instead of guessing this time)

Did they speed it up coming closer to finals?

Edited by TheClutch