Colts 2012

I'm just looking forward to seeing them in the Boston area again (Lynn, Bristol, R.I., and Quincy, MA).

Not meaning to sound like an old blowhard, but geez, have we become so jaded/elitist that we talk about a corps having a rough winter because only 50 horns showed up to a mid-winter camp, or about having to dig yourself out of a hole because you placed 16th in world class? I've seen some pretty d*mn good corps in the mid-teen placements over the years. Has top twelve (or yikes, the G8?) become the be-all-end-all, only goal worth achieving?

Peace,

Fred O.

I hate to say it, but only 50 horns at a mid-winter camp is not very promising anymore. Most corps in the top 12 are pulling 150-200+ horn player candidates at their audition camps, which gives you a good selection to pick the 72-80 summer members from. If you only have 50 to start, it's tough to get a solid 72-80 member line by May.

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but only 50 horns at a mid-winter camp is not very promising anymore. Most corps in the top 12 are pulling 150-200+ horn player candidates at their audition camps, which gives you a good selection to pick the 72-80 summer members from. If you only have 50 to start, it's tough to get a solid 72-80 member line by May.

When you say "I hate to say it..." do you mean "I hate to burst your bubble, old-timer..." or "It's an unfortunate reflection on these changing times..." - ? Either way I suppose, times have, for better or worse, most definitely changed.

Thanks for the dialogue,

Fred O.

I think a push to be more competitive isn't just for competition sake. It's about opening up the corps to new prospective members. The corps that get close to 200 people auditioning for 72 spots are the ones that are currently doing well competitively, or have in the past. The Colts have only made it to Finals 8 times and have never placed higher than 9th. Their last finalist year was 2007 with a 10th place finish, and that made recruiting a much easier task, but their unfortunate drop out of Finals after that year made it so they just didn't get the exposure that the finalists get.

As for "50 horns" showing up to a camp, that's unfortunate too, but one phrase that's often said at the Colts is, "Success is dealing with Plan B." I'm sure they'll be just fine.

• Like 1

Please, this is all conjecture - phhhhhhht - a Colts dad here.

I was at last camp....they played some new music at the end of camp......watch out. Don't doubt the Red Team, I can see finals being a good possibility this year.

• Like 2