What's with all the hate for BD

G, I'm certain you know better than that. Perhaps the crowd response would have come at a different time if BD was announced in 3rd, but that 2nd place cheer was a straight up mix of response for a universally loved show AND ..........

Phantom got the same reaction a week earlier at a show BD wasn't in.

• Like 2

Back on topic and the reason some ( hate BD)I think it also depends who you talk to. I know when you talk to some staffs or members it all comes down to a way of thinking and a way to approach what they believe in and how they operate. I have had members I have taught who marched with cadets as well as BD and several others and let me tell you they all have individual friends in each corps BUT there is down right contempt from some people toward one corps to another ...thats members as well as staff...and that has NOTHING to do with show designs or concepts or who gets more claps on a given night

Edited by GUARDLING

Wow....what did I miss?

So no one really liked PR's 2008 show after all? They were just cheering the thought of someone beating BD? OK, that explains it. See, the truth is that BD has all the best shows, and if they just didn't win so darn much, they'd be the most popular corps with fans every year.

There are less butts in seats for open-class and lower WC corps because they aren't threatening BD. People are in the lot searching for corps that might be good enough to knock BD off.

People only cheer for other corps to spite BD. That's why they're Blooing, not booing. SUTA and Splooie are really just coded messages about taking BD down. They aren't really yelling "Vanguard!" during SCV's show....if you listen closely, you'll discover they're really yelling "ABBD!". Even the acronym USSBA had something to do with sticking it to the Blue Devils....that's why they've renamed the circuit now that they accomplished that goal.

• Like 3

Does this have to be asked? If people are saying ANYONE BUT BD... what should it be interpreted as being? love?

I would interpret that as meaning people want a new champion.

Crazy I know. The thought that maybe wanting to see a different corps win doesn't necessarily mean you loathe and despise the Blue Devils. After all, BD should be everything to everyone, so why not add "martyr" to that list as well, right?

I would interpret that as meaning people want a new champion.

5 out of the last year 8 years, people did get " a new champion " other than BD, so on the face of it, that can't explain it it would seem to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

5 out of the last year 8 years, people did get " a new champion " other than BD, so on the face of it, that can't explain it it would seem to me.

Have people been "hating" on BD for the past 8 years straight? I would argue its been more recent. Since their 07 win, they've either won or were second. Once by only .025 points.

Are there folks out there that DO hate BD? Probably, sure. But it's almost as if it's become an all or nothing thing for everyone else. You either love them and want them to win all the time or you're just a hater.

Wow....what did I miss?

So no one really liked PR's 2008 show after all? They were just cheering the thought of someone beating BD? OK, that explains it. See, the truth is that BD has all the best shows, and if they just didn't win so darn much, they'd be the most popular corps with fans every year.

There are less butts in seats for open-class and lower WC corps because they aren't threatening BD. People are in the lot searching for corps that might be good enough to knock BD off.

People only cheer for other corps to spite BD. That's why they're Blooing, not booing. SUTA and Splooie are really just coded messages about taking BD down. They aren't really yelling "Vanguard!" during SCV's show....if you listen closely, you'll discover they're really yelling "ABBD!". Even the acronym USSBA had something to do with sticking it to the Blue Devils....that's why they've renamed the circuit now that they accomplished that goal.

And this is why this thread will continue in the extremes. NO ONE (and I used the caps on purpose) is suggesting these extreme and vitriolic comments. This is a thread about BD and "hate" (or discontent, or whatever term comes to mind), and we (or some of us) are attempting to define how it manifests itself (either real or perceived). That show is mentioned only as a reference and not to rehash or revise old competitions.

I haven't heard a single comment on this thread that suggests anything like your absurd notions. But sometimes you hear what you want to hear. 2008 had several simultaneous components occurring at once, culminating at finals. First and foremost, PR's remarkable story of a show and superb performance; BD's coming off of yet another championship; BD's nearly perfect run in 08 (only one loss until finals); BD's off the wall show design that received (if you remember) big wins and mixed reviews from the peanut gallery claiming non-demanding drill, etc.; PR's possibility of winning one by themselves (no sharing); PR's big move at the end and their superb show edits; and ABBD. One final disturbing component was the "comfort level" that some DCI fans felt with booing, having learned that it is somehow excepted behavior during the Cadets attempt to explore new show designs (for me, one of the saddest chapters in my brief history with DCI). All of these contributed to the perfect storm resulting in the tumultuous response at finals with the 2nd place score being announced. You can continue to bait the conversation with your extremes, but it only reflects a very limited understanding of the conversation.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 2

Have people been "hating" on BD for the past 8 years straight? I would argue its been more recent. Since their 07 win, they've either won or were second. Once by only .025 points.

Are there folks out there that DO hate BD? Probably, sure. But it's almost as if it's become an all or nothing thing for everyone else. You either love them and want them to win all the time or you're just a hater.

I don't think that the vast majority of Drum Corps fans " hate on BD " at all. I reject that premise. Sure some do... for any number of reasons. But if a Corps gets a lukewarm reception from an audience at a variety of venues, and across a cross section of the country, it would be folly to attribute that tepid response at the completion of the show performance to " placement ". By and large, people pay money to go see a show to be entertained. Unless they have some connection to a Corps, of some personal animis or jealousy, the placement is ancillary to whether or not a particular Corps show was entertaining for them or not ( however one defines " entertaining " ). From my observation, BD received a more favorable national audience response to their show last year where they finished 2nd, 3rd in a lot of shows than the year before where they went undefeated from start to finish. The reason was that more people seemed to enjoy last year's show design a bit better than the year before when they went undefeated. Trying to figure how why BD got a bit better reception with national audiences in 2011 than in 2010 is not like trying to understand the inner workings of nuclear physics, you know ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1