Is there a time when a penalty is worth it?

Madison Scouts 1997: drum major held a final chord long, took a pic of the corps, took a pic of the crowd, threw a pirate flag into the stands, turned around & finished the show. Crowd went ape s$$t. I think it definitely enhanced the moment

I don't think they took a penalty for that, tho.

As I heard the story, that was NOT originally in the show. The corps did it -- to the surprise of the staff -- on the last runthru the day of finals and the staff liked it so much they decided to keep it.

I wonder if it was an homage to an earlier moment in the corps' history....didn't they do the same thing in the late 70s-early 80s....except instead of a Jolly Roger they held up their 1975 championship flag??

• Like 1

I could be remembering wrong exactly what they got the penalty for, but they did get a .1 penalty Finals night for something: I could've sworn it was either for being a little over time or throwing the flag past the front ensemble.

As I heard the story, that was NOT originally in the show. The corps did it -- to the surprise of the staff -- on the last runthru the day of finals and the staff liked it so much they decided to keep it.

It was definitely not in their show until Finals night from what I remember (I was on tour with another corps in 197 and saw Scouts many times that season: my favorite 'memory' from that show is that the Pirate who died in the duel at the end [oops: spoiler for those who haven't seen it yet - sorry] stayed in character, dead, during the last push, the corps marching off the field, and the drum line trooping the stands playing the cadence. Other guard members carried him off the field/out of the stadium after their show).

• Like 1

I wonder if it was an homage to an earlier moment in the corps' history....didn't they do the same thing in the late 70s-early 80s....except instead of a Jolly Roger they held up their 1975 championship flag??

If I recall correctly (and I may not), it was for 'damage to the field' when he stuck his sword in the ground

penalty.jpg
  • Like 1

penalty.jpg

If I remember correctly, that was the Div II/III finals in Denver. I loved that show and the penalty was more than worth it. The fact that it sticks in my mind as one of the great moments of all the drum corps shows that I have seen, speaks for itself. As someone that has been a drum corps fan for over 30 years, you don't really give a hoot about the scores. You want to be entertained.

If I recall correctly (and I may not), it was for 'damage to the field' when he stuck his sword in the ground

Could be; they did that at every show (for turf fields that had some type of insert or something I think), and I can't find recaps to anything but finals online.