The Cadets Media

If a corps can afford it, they need to be putting more out there. The more on the interwebs, the more chances it reaches a new fan. Especially on YouTube.

And if a corps is really lucky, it doesn't even have to be expensive.

Spirit of Atlanta is extremely fortunate to have several very talented alums who have worked in video production for many years who donate their talents to the corps.

The stuff they've put on their official youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/spiritdrumcorps) the past couple of years has been top notch, IMO.

Wow, they sound absolutely gassed, but this is awesome. I wish there was something like this for the 1998 encore. Crazy stuff.

We were the same way in 2005. Granted, i've only been on the field for one DCI Encore in my life, so I cant compare it to what other corps felt like, but it seemed like our general sentiment before the 2nd run was "S^%$ - we have to do this again?? I'm tired!!"

It didn't help that a storm delay had pushed the proceedings back almost 2 hours...it was after midnight and most of us hadn't eaten since 5pm. Frankly...i dont remember a thing from the encore...

And back OT - i dont see how most of this stuff - whether its a video of uniformed cadets on mall escalators, or a field level cam from the encore performance, can be seen as hype. Its just more 'access' - behind the scenes, new viewpoints, silly jokes, whatever... Sure, stuff about the current season is meant to drum up interest in a slightly different way, but I would rather have the barrage of actual media content to judge for myself than 1 cryptic press release per offseason promising a myriad of staff changes and improvements, better than ever audition / talent number, along with some techno-jargon show announcement. That is the hype I could do without....

• Like 4

I can agree to a certain extent with both sides of the "hype" discussion because there is more than one understanding of how the expression is used. One is that the expression is short for hyperbole which would manifest itself as self-congratulatory exaggeration. DCI Corps certainly practice this when every year is the best year the corps will ever have with the best corps they ever had. This type of hype is almost always false and is worthy of derision.

Another understanding is that it means excitement or enthusiasm. I don't see anything wrong with this as long as it doesn't lead to hyperbole.

I agree with everyone who supports the Cadet's media efforts for the reasons they stated.

I don't agree that looking at behind the scenes and camp videos is hyperbole and no evidence is presented that it is.

Kevin

• Like 1

Some fans complain when the corps say nothing during the off season, others complain when they do.... C'est la vie

Personally I fall into the gimme more category. So in that regard cadets & the hop are the best out there just now.

• Like 1

Eh, it's a pretty solid strategy -- keeping people engaged all year round. The name of the game is money. If people forget about you for nine months of the year, they are less likely to give you money during those nine months.

The NFL does this really well. The season is September - February, then the Draft is in April, followed by free agency, training camp, and then the pre-season. Would anyone really care about *watching* the NFL draft if it weren't on TV? Of course not, but it's a made-for-tv event that gives fans, media, etc. something to hang on to during the spring.

• Like 1

Eh, it's a pretty solid strategy -- keeping people engaged all year round. The name of the game is money. If people forget about you for nine months of the year, they are less likely to give you money during those nine months.

The NFL does this really well. The season is September - February, then the Draft is in April, followed by free agency, training camp, and then the pre-season. Would anyone really care about *watching* the NFL draft if it weren't on TV? Of course not, but it's a made-for-tv event that gives fans, media, etc. something to hang on to during the spring.

how can the NFL be compared to drum corps. I know many here like to compare to all sorts of activities but unless Drum corps all of a sudden had millions and millions of fans around the globe...it cant be done..not even a reference...JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

how can the NFL be compared to drum corps. I know many here like to compare to all sorts of activities but unless Drum corps all of a sudden had millions and millions of fans around the globe...it cant be done..not even a reference...JMO

He didnt directly compare them - just stated that they use a similar strategy. Organizations came have similarities OTHER than money, resources, and interest level (although those are certainly important points)

He didnt directly compare them - just stated that they use a similar strategy. Organizations came have similarities OTHER than money, resources, and interest level (although those are certainly important points)

what would be the similarities to some of these.Drum corps maybe can be compared to band and have the same type of person with interest BUT we are such a small and specialized taste specific activity I think it pretty much stands alone....But it JMO :smile:

Actually I just re read and youre right what threw me was his last line..

Edited by GUARDLING

what would be the similarities to some of these.Drum corps maybe can be compared to band and have the same type of person with interest BUT we are such a small and specialized taste specific activity I think it pretty much stands alone....But it JMO :smile:

Competition, physicality, loyalty, and the need for marketing, just to name the most obvious applicable one. People have been comparing the arts to sports for various purposes for as long as there have been forums for discussion...its not perfect, but if we stuck to comparing thinks that were only very much alike, we woulnd't have much fodder for discussion. And...dcp has been pretty boring lately as is, so no need for that :sleeping: