Systemic Structural Risk and Too Big To Fail

Yes....because individual corps cannot deprive DCI of their "drawing power". It really is DCI's drawing power....a consequence of DCI being an established league of national/world level championship competition for drum corps.

A closed-circuit club of any number of disgruntled ex-DCI corps could not possibly take that away from DCI. The only way a Gx league could achieve long-term viability would be by establishing their own national/world level championship competition. That can only happen if they open up their private club to the rest of the activity by holding open contests where membership in the Gx is available to those who qualify competitively.

Without a legitimate open competitive model, the Gx would last for only 2-3 years as a private club. If they aren't already aware of that fact, they would be come year 2 when their ticket sales drop.

It is not "there" yet, but the Cadets are slowly building a pretty wide-ranging national circuit with its USBands being spread all over the country...and they have even brought back the connection to the Cadets. It is now "USBands, presented by The Cadet", not USSBA anymore.

Add in the local "pull" of some of the other G-7, such as the BD and SCV in California, and the above might be closer than we think.

• Like 1

Yes....because individual corps cannot deprive DCI of their "drawing power". It really is DCI's drawing power....a consequence of DCI being an established league of national/world level championship competition for drum corps.

A closed-circuit club of any number of disgruntled ex-DCI corps could not possibly take that away from DCI. The only way a Gx league could achieve long-term viability would be by establishing their own national/world level championship competition. That can only happen if they open up their private club to the rest of the activity by holding open contests where membership in the Gx is available to those who qualify competitively.

Without a legitimate open competitive model, the Gx would last for only 2-3 years as a private club. If they aren't already aware of that fact, they would be come year 2 when their ticket sales drop.

That said, there's another suggestion for DCI to guard against systemic risk....attach incentives to DCI membership to discourage participation in rival circuits. Not exactly the same as a "boycott", but rather, making a DCI corps' pay largely contingent upon loyalty, such that trying to compete in both circuits would be giving up more DCI $$$ than they could make from the Gx.

I totally get what youre saying BUT I also remember many corps back in the day saying DCI and the few joining would never last against the hundreds of other corpsand all thos local circuits.hmmmmmmmmm

It is not "there" yet, but the Cadets are slowly building a pretty wide-ranging national circuit with its USBands being spread all over the country...and they have even brought back the connection to the Cadets. It is now "USBands, presented by The Cadet", not USSBA anymore.

Add in the local "pull" of some of the other G-7, such as the BD and SCV in California, and the above might be closer than we think.

Great! Bring it on! The non G7 in DCI have more to gain with continued associations with BOA and WGI than the G7 has to gain in aligning with USBands. And IMO I really think that there is not that much glue holding the G7 together; and do not think that the the leadership within the Bluecoats, Crown, Regiment, and Cavaliers would actually follow Hop/Gibbs/Fiedler out of DCI; so it would be just two (Cadets/BD) or three (add SCV) corps that would end up bolting.

Edited by Stu

I totally get what youre saying BUT I also remember many corps back in the day saying DCI and the few joining would never last against the hundreds of other corpsand all thos local circuits.hmmmmmmmmm

And because DCI opened their circuit to all challengers, with membership available to any who made top 12....things turned out differently.

I'm not following you. USSBA USBands is a band circuit. Drum corps do not/cannot compete in it, so it can't become a national-level circuit for any of DCI's current member corps.

I never heard any Corps Director utter that " back in the day".. Quite the contrary as a matter of fact. Most local Corps bemoaned the fact that if the dominant 2,3 Corps left the local circuits for this new DCI, the local curcuits would die quickly, and so too the non marquee Corps with this. Once the marquee Corps at the time decided to form DCI, the smaller Corps were left with no option but to support that quest, and go join DCI with thes Marquee Corps. It wasn't the " hundreds of other Corps " saying the marquue Corps would die. They were saying THEY would die if they stayed in the local, circuits without the marquee Corps remaining in them.

I never heard any Corps Director utter that " back in the day".. Quite the contrary as a matter of fact. Most local Corps bemoaned the fact that if the dominant 2,3 Corps left the local circuits for this new DCI, the local curcuits would die quickly, and so too the non marquee Corps with this. Once the marquee Corps at the time decided to form DCI, the smaller Corps were left with no option but to support that quest, and go join DCI with thes Marquee Corps. It wasn't the " hundreds of other Corps " saying the marquue Corps would die. They were saying THEY would die if they stayed in the local, circuits without the marquee Corps remaining in them.

were saying just about the same thing here but with the hundreds of corps that there were back then then were saying it both ways

I'm not following you. USSBA USBands is a band circuit. Drum corps do not/cannot compete in it, so it can't become a national-level circuit for any of DCI's current member corps.

maybe the intent for the future is to merge the Bands with the drum corps.making one circuit of A BAND DIVISION AND A DRUM CORPS DIVISION......WGI ( Winter Guard International....isnt just guards anymore either YET ITS STILL CALLLED WGI

I doubt getting your MBA will cause you to become pompous and all-knowing, but I'm highly confident that it will help you come to realize that there are always smarter people than you.

It might also teach you that you don't have to click that little mouse button on every thread.

In any case, you might use that high-brow education to add a provocative thought to the conversation instead of a juvenile, snarky comment. Unless you have nothing to add, in which case you can also use that MBA title to exercise your reading habits.

Either way, all that MBA expense was really worthwhile, wasn't it?

/sarcasm, and back to the "smart" conversation.

I hope it's worthwhile - I'm working my ### off to earn it. :thumbup: I'm quite aware there are lots of people smarter than I am. I'm also aware there are many who aren't content to be smart but feel the need to try to show everyone how brilliant they think they are. These endless hot air threads have no impact on drum corps nor are they relevant to drum corps. Once DanielRay chimes in the farce will be complete!

/juvenile snarkiness off

Edited by CQuinn
  • Like 2

These endless hot air threads have no impact on drum corps nor are they relevant to drum corps.

/juvenile snarkiness off

Fair enough. But then that naturally seems to beg the question: ... why are YOU here ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1