what is drum corps?

All of the above.... :worthy:

As long as they have horns and percussion.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And I am very familiar with Archbishop Ryan High School...too funny!

LOL, my bad I saw this at work over lunch and the clip was blocked. IOW .... all I saw was the thread title and banner at the bottom...... NOW I get it...

As a former *sigh* Alumni type memebr I laughed..... Was waiting for "What sections are in a Drum Corps"... "George Hopkins".

s/ Guy not old enough for Drum Corps Israel.

Oh Archbishop Ryan... Good memories competing against you!

And I am very familiar with Archbishop Ryan High School...too funny!

same here...i laughed hysterically

Common usage of the term refers to a body of musicians marching while playing drums and one other instrument, i.e. bugles, fifes or bagpipes. (Confusion as to the term's actual definition has proliferated since the 1980s when the term was (in)appropriated by brass bands using neither bugles, fifes or bagpipes, a la the beverages called "Long Island ice teas" which contain no tea and "egg creams", which contain neither eggs nor cream.)

However, when capitalized and punctuated as Drum Corps!, the term generally refers to a once-popular but now archaic, antediluvian and nearly-vanished North American activity that throughout most of the 20th Century until about 1980 was widespread and well-attended by both participants and spectators in numerous parade and field events. In its heyday perhaps five thousand youths and adults (called "members"), many with no previous experience, would be encouraged to participate in Drum Corps! each year after learning rudiments of marching and musicianship using basic, affordable instruments with which their talents could be developed. Despite the use of limited instrumentation, the musical product of Drum Corps! was quite elaborate although the audio-visual technology of the era prohibited the recording of complete performances and therefore artifacts of Drum Corps!, except for sound recordings, are unfortunately nearly nonexistent.

• Like 1

Sheesh ... um, let me paraphrase ... Yikes! After 30+ years, people in our fair city know what Drum Corps is?!?! Fast forward, get your act together, promote it to the public. Get it! Do it! :bigsmile:

I'll never forget when I first saw this video. Instead of answering all those annoying (and typical questions), I'd simply tell her: just go and play in a band, drum corps, or find a passion and in that, you'd answer your own question and if still don't get it then that's you. Because sometimes it just takes a veteran to understand a veteran.

Edited by En929