• 1992 - Cavaliers
    • 1993 - Star of Indiana
    • 1994 - Blue Devils
    • 1995 - Cavaliers
    • 1996 - Blue Devils
    • 1997 - Blue Devils
    • 1998 - Santa Clara Vanguard
    • 1999 - Cavaliers

Can we give an honorable mention to 93 SCV? The 7th place corps that won high field percussion (battery) in semifinals? Great line in a year full of them.

• Like 2

For many, many years I felt the Cadets tenor break early in their '93 show (if you know the show, you know which one I mean) was the greatest tenor drumming I'd ever seen.

(I recently found a transcription of the break and discovered, to my astonishment, that it's deceptively straightforward. Of course, I've also had 20 years of banging along with it for practice.) It's still one of my favorites.

Mike

I think it is the first of the great modern era quad solos. It is deceptively straight forward. You look at it and say "it's only 16th note diddles" . . . only those diddles are very fast . . . and the QB played them while moving.

• Like 1

For many, many years I felt the Cadets tenor break early in their '93 show (if you know the show, you know which one I mean) was the greatest tenor drumming I'd ever seen.

(I recently found a transcription of the break and discovered, to my astonishment, that it's deceptively straightforward. Of course, I've also had 20 years of banging along with it for practice.) It's still one of my favorites.

Mike

I saw that at Hershey and said they'd win DCI.

5 weeks later I was right

And also, I don't think there had been many solos quite like that before then; though there sure have been a lot since... :)

Mike

Most Drum Solos before the 90's was park and play, the Cadets and SCV changed that in the late 80's. BD and other lines would go to the front and park and play their feature. By the mid 90's most lines were moving while playing their feature/solo.