DCI in Virginia

HI, Im very new to this form and DCI but I love the program and was wondering if there is a DCI corps (open or world) that I can play in around the DC, Northern Virginia area. And also if you could give me some details about the program such as how hard the music is, when to sign up, when practice starts, that sort of thing. Thanks in advance!

HI, Im very new to this form and DCI but I love the program and was wondering if there is a DCI corps (open or world) that I can play in around the DC, Northern Virginia area. And also if you could give me some details about the program such as how hard the music is, when to sign up, when practice starts, that sort of thing. Thanks in advance!

Nope, but there's a DCA corps in near Manassas. Check their website for details: http://www.shenandoa...sound/index.php

Edited by jjeffeory

Seriously none at all?? I've already heard of that Masassas corps, whats it like compared to DCI?

btw just a side note, I was talking to my dad and he had this crazy idea to start our own I don't think thats very realistic i just wanted to throw that out there just to c what u think.

Edited by DrummeRSwageR

Seriously none at all?? I've already heard of that Masassas corps, whats it like compared to DCI?

Different audiences and intensity. This is the Junior corps part of DCP, so you're going to get different opinions than in the all-age forum.

Competitively, they're not at the top of the DCA ranks, and I do not know their focus.

In general DCA corps do not tour as much as DCI corps. DCA corps are "all-age". DCI corps rehearse much more and have more difficult shows.

I'm sure this discussion could spark a lot of heated exchanges, so I'd just say look them up go to dcacorps.org for DCA information and dci.org for DCI information.

There's probably some videos of the top DCA corps online somewhere. I have no idea about Shenandoah Sound.

Sorry, but the answers are there!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

I know that there are plenty of Maryland and Northern Virginia kids that go up 95 to Jersey Surf... sure worth a try! thumbup.gif

• Like 1

yea... generally the kids head to Surf, Cadets, or Crown. Crossmen aren't local anymore, but a fair amount of VA kids used to go there as well.

these guys: http://www.manydc.org/index.cfm?pagesID=3 are trying to start up a corps, but I don't think they are that close yet (still multiple years away, if at all).

Northern VA has some powerhouse concert programs and I have no doubt there is an excellent talent base to draw from for a world class drum corps in the area (plus UMD, JMU, UVA, VTech, etc). Unfortunately, the schools in VA don't get out until the middle of June, so that makes it tough.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 2

In case you didn't know it already couple of the Shen Sound people post on DCP. Have talked to some of the members a few times and sure they can answer any questions you have. If you decide it's not what you're looking for there should not be any problems.

Good luck whatever you decide.

yea... generally the kids head to Surf, Cadets, or Crown. Crossmen aren't local anymore, but a fair amount of VA kids used to go there as well.

these guys: http://www.manydc.org/index.cfm?pagesID=3 are trying to start up a corps, but I don't think they are that close yet (still multiple years away, if at all).

Northern VA has some powerhouse concert programs and I have no doubt there is an excellent talent base to draw from for a world class drum corps in the area (plus UMD, JMU, UVA, VTech, etc). Unfortunately, the schools in VA don't get out until the middle of June, so that makes it tough.

The link you provided has not been updated for a couple of years, and the last posts on their Facebook page are from 2009. This one may have died as well.

Edited by noneofyourbusiness

As some other folks have mentioned, there is an active, competitive DCA corps in Manassas-Shenandoah Sound. Our membership is about half high school students (from PW County and Southern MD) and half adults (from NoVA and MD). We have all-state band students, first-time marchers, and several folks who have marched DCI Division I corps. We were 8th in DCA Class A last year and we're working towards making Class A finals this year. Our music is being written by Robert W Smith this year.

The biggest difference between us (or any DCA corps) and DCI, is time. We rehearse and perform only on weekends so you would have time for school, job, family, etc. Our dues and expenses are less than half what you'll pay for a DCI World Class corps.

There are no DCI corps in DC, Virginia or Maryland. The closest DCI corps to NoVA are the Cadets, Jersey Surf, and Raiders.

Edited by Latrobe's Finest
  • Like 1