DeKalb, IL

I was one of the many people surprised by the Division II outcome in Dekalb. While I felt Memphis Sound did a splendid job for a 1st year corps, I didn't feel their Friday night performance was deserving of the title. Nonetheless, I read Terri's comments and thought them a bit harsh -- that is until I looked at the recaps. Granted, I am not a percussion expert and I am sometimes confused as to exactly what the judges are looking for in some of the other captions, but I do have a great deal of experience with visuals, particularly guard, and I was shocked to see that Memphis' guard beat Cap Sound's by a rather large margin. Capital Sound has one of the most polished guards in the activity and their performance ability is quite high. Night after night (I've seen them about 5 times now) they deliver the show consistently and with a great deal of energy. Memphis Sound's guard, on the other hand, looked almost uncomfortable at times -- unison was lacking, basic equipment technique was questionalbe, at best, and the inexperience of the young members was quite apparent on many levels. Again, Memphis deserves all the credit in the world for putting such a strong, quality product on the field in just one year however, I'm going to have to agree with Terri that, at least in the captions I am most familiar with, judging was a travesty.

BTW -- I'm single. I don't have a child in either corps. :)

Edited by ChicagoFan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought cap sound had a much better performance.. i was shocked, as were the other people around me in the crowd (section D, row 56, seat 21 for those who were there :) )... good shows by both though.. speaking of judges, the percussion judge getting whacked by the color guard.. any one else see that ( i dont remember when that happened.. but it was funny)

guys... please... I love to see new corps come out and do well... but it was only a tenth of a point... with that being said, with respect for your corps image, I suggest not attacking people personally with your corps name and logo attached. Just a suggestion... it kinda leaves a bad impression about the corps.

good luck to both corps... there's still a lot of time between now and orlando, we'll see how things shake up... should be interesting... there's a lot of good Div. II corps

Someone said earlier in the thread that all of the DCI-M shows have been on DII/III sheets so far . . . Well, I just got home from first tour and we were judged on D I sheets all tour. So, yes there will be a jump in DII/III scores next week, at least for the midwest corps.

Shara Barlow

Bandettes Percussion Staff

Division two was a travesty last night. I'll say it, I don't care.

Someone needs to call these men and women on their ineptitude sometime or other. So fine, I'll do it.

Well, for what it's worth, things seemed a lot different from my vantage point down at field level, away from the discussions of the predominantly Midwestern audience, and seeing both of these corps for the first time this year (and having no affiliation with any particular corps).

IMO, the judges were on the money. I'll invoke a disclaimer on guard, though, as I missed much of their action from where I was situated.

Both corps, by the way, were quite good. Capital Sound did seem to have slight edges in performance quality across the board, but Memphis really projected their effects with clarity and energy. Amazingly, the caption scores support these observations.

I really don't want to be rude here but to totally disregard the guard? 

Huh? I'm not disregarding the guards, just admitting that I couldn't see them from where I was.

do you at all understand where the HUGE discrepancy came from?  They lost THREE freaking points from their show in Whitewater July 9th.

Ah, the perils of comparing scores from different shows....

I really don't want to be rude here but to totally disregard the guard? do you at all understand where the HUGE discrepancy came from? They lost THREE freaking points from their show in Whitewater July 9th. See that is the problem with the adjudication.

Duh.......

:huh:

Teri,

I think he said that because from his field level vantage point he couldn't see them well enough to form an opinion.

Mike