The site that shall not be named is cool now.....

As I said on another thread, I think it makes perfect sense because youtube has very strict policies already regarding copyright protection. If it's not legal, sooner or later youtube will demand that the video be removed or bann the user if he or she does not comply. Perfectly safe. In fact, youtube is a great place to keep it all under control. If something is up that should not be there, DCI, DCA, DCP and anyone else for that matter can put a complaint in to youtube and bet me that they don't take care of the issue within 12 hours. Great news.

May I make a suggestion now? How about a Youtube forum? :w00t: A forum designed just for all to enjoy posting, sharing and watching great drum corps youtube videos? Bawker? Can we get a proposal? :smile:

• Like 2

Do you guys know how to post Drum Corps videos to Youtube? :thumbup:

This is great news! :thumbup:

I think that you misunderstand the issue here: Can you now post links on DCP to videos which were placed on Youtube by a person who was authorized by the copyright holder to upload that video? Yes; However, can you yourself place videos on YouTube without the permission from the copyright holder? Nope, unless you advocate breaking Federal law.

Please remember, though, that this just covers YouTube . . .file sharing links, FTP sites, and other video sites (Vimeo, etc) and so on are still no-no's.

Thanks! :smile:

DCP is a private site, so you can make YouTube exclusive if you so choose; I have no problems with that fact. Nevertheless, I agree with DCIhasbeen that since there are many other "legitimate" sites other than YouTube which monitor for copyrighted materials, it would be nice if DCP would also allow links to those other "legitimate" sites.

I think that you misunderstand the issue here: Can you now post links on DCP to videos which were placed on Youtube by a person who was authorized by the copyright holder to upload that video? Yes; However, can you yourself place videos on YouTube without the permission from the copyright holder? Nope, unless you advocate breaking Federal law.

Again, youtube has strict TOS policies in place that won't allow for such videos to be up for very long. Especially if DCI, DCA and DCP are monitoring it. You could almost say that by allowing youtube videos on DCP now, they can contol it because everything now will be exposed. At the end of the day, it's youtube's baby whether or not a video is legal or not. DCP's hands are washed. DCP sure can report stuff that isn't legal though, that's for sure.

I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to enjoy drum corps videos on youtube and the allowance by DCP for us to post and discuss them. I'll let the powers that be deal with the legal issues. Like I said, a report going to youtube from DCI, DCA and DCP over a TOS infraction will see that such a video is removed within less than a day, guaranteed!

DCP is a private site, so you can make YouTube exclusive if you so choose; I have no problems with that fact. Nevertheless, I agree with DCIhasbeen that since there are many other "legitimate" sites other than YouTube which monitor for copyrighted materials, it would be nice if DCP would also allow links to those other "legitimate" sites.

Give it time. Youtube allowance is a major milestone for DCP. Would I like to see Vimeo allowed too? Sure. But I'm not going to push it.

Do you guys know how quickly those videos will be removed/deleted/unavaiable?

Noticed that all year with Sparticus in 2008.......

That was about the only year that that happened. There's WAY too many videos for DCI to monitor and delete. From my understanding, a big reason why they weren't aloud on YouTube, was to protect the composer's work. YouTube now has something in place where it automatically places ads on the video for that composer, and if they so choose, they can delete it. It even recognizes it with different instrumentation, which I find pretty amazing.

The bottom line is, YouTube is MUCH better at enforcing it than DCI or it's affiliates are. Besides, it does give them good exposure.

YouTube!

YouTube!!

YOUTUBE!!

Man that is liberating.

But seriously, great news. YouTube is just another social media platform, and any exposure for DCI is good, in my eyes.